Renting points in addition to OTU points?

LRdismom

Mouseketeer
My apologies (if this has been discussed because I couldn't find anything) and thanks in advance! It looks like I'll be renting points for the first time this year, but not too many (between 44-69). There's a chance I could transfer, but if it's a rental, can I also advertise OTU points as an option at the current $19 rate? In case someone needs a few points to meet the point requirement for the reservation. Thanks again!

My apologies (if this has been discussed because I couldn't find anything) and thanks in advance! It looks like I'll be renting points for the first time this year, but not too many (between 44-69). There's a chance I could transfer, but if it's a rental, can I also advertise OTU points as an option at the current $19 rate? In case someone needs a few points to meet the point requirement for the reservation. Thanks again!
I would think you will find it hard to get the $19 per point for OTU points because you can't purchase those until after the home resort priority period ends, which is where the high price of points lies. So the value of those points to a renter would go down. But that is my two cents

I would think you will find it hard to get the $19 per point for OTU points because you can't purchase those until after the home resort priority period ends, which is where the high price of points lies. So the value of those points to a renter would go down. But that is my two cents

Gotcha. So I suppose at the very least I'd be able to offer the option but keeping all the points at the same price? Assuming I was willing to take the loss just to rent the points that's it. I'm only talking like a few points just to complete a reservation, not the full 24 maximum. Thanks again for the advice.

Gotcha. So I suppose at the very least I'd be able to offer the option but keeping all the points at the same price? Assuming I was willing to take the loss just to rent the points that's it. I'm only talking like a few points just to complete a reservation, not the full 24 maximum. Thanks again for the advice.
The ins and outs of DVC reservations is confusing to a lot of non-owners (and to some owners, too). You're going to be fielding requests that are outside of the booking window, require ownership at a different resort, need more points than you have for rent, and try to negotiate your asking price down even if you started at a bargain rate. Do you really want to throw OTUPs out there as well while taking a loss on them?

Just offer your points for rent or transfer at a good price. Include the UY and the "must be used for a reservation ending by MM/DD/YY" for renters who don't understand the process. You might want to incentivize transfers by agreeing to reduce the price slightly if all points are taken by one person.

The ins and outs of DVC reservations is confusing to a lot of non-owners (and to some owners, too). You're going to be fielding requests that are outside of the booking window, require ownership at a different resort, need more points than you have for rent, and try to negotiate your asking price down even if you started at a bargain rate. Do you really want to throw OTUPs out there as well while taking a loss on them?

Just offer your points for rent or transfer at a good price. Include the UY and the "must be used for a reservation ending by MM/DD/YY" for renters who don't understand the process. You might want to incentivize transfers by agreeing to reduce the price slightly if all points are taken by one person.

Great advice. I'm so overwhelmed by the thought of renting out my points I couldn't think clearly on the most efficient way to do it!

I failed to notice that you are relatively new to the disboards. That could be a problem when it comes to posting on the Rent/Trade forum. You don't have a long enough history to post without buying a "Rental Plan", which is a fee imposed by the disboards on infrequent or new posters who wish to make a "points for rent" thread.

"All registered DISboard members may purchase the Gold Membership plan which allows a maximum of six (6) rental threads, including a maximum of two existing reservations with arrival within 30 days. The plan is valid for one year from the date of registering for the plan. Cost of the Gold rental plan is $24.95 for those registered more than 6 months or $49.95 for those registered less than 6 months."​

You would have to pay this fee unless:
  • You have had your DIS user-name for at least 6 months, and
  • You have made at least 8 posts in at least 4 of the past 6 months, and
  • You have made at least 50 non-Rent/Trade Board posts in the last 6 months as verified by the DIS 'Search' engine. Posts made on the DVC Rent/Trade Board will not count towards this requirement.

I'm so overwhelmed by the thought of renting out my points I couldn't think clearly on the most efficient way to do it!

I would personally just use a service like David’s to rent out my points. Take a little hit financially by letting the experts take care of the ins and outs.

I failed to notice that you are relatively new to the disboards. That could be a problem when it comes to posting on the Rent/Trade forum. You don't have a long enough history to post without buying a "Rental Plan", which is a fee imposed by the disboards on infrequent or new posters who wish to make a "points for rent" thread.

"All registered DISboard members may purchase the Gold Membership plan which allows a maximum of six (6) rental threads, including a maximum of two existing reservations with arrival within 30 days. The plan is valid for one year from the date of registering for the plan. Cost of the Gold rental plan is $24.95 for those registered more than 6 months or $49.95 for those registered less than 6 months."​

You would have to pay this fee unless:
  • You have had your DIS user-name for at least 6 months, and
  • You have made at least 8 posts in at least 4 of the past 6 months, and
  • You have made at least 50 non-Rent/Trade Board posts in the last 6 months as verified by the DIS 'Search' engine. Posts made on the DVC Rent/Trade Board will not count towards this requirement.
Yes that happened to me when I was away from DIS boards for three months and tried to rent. Says I need more posts even though I was an active poster before that. Took three months off due to new job.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter