Renting Points - Paypal vs Cashier's Check

heaven2dc

DIS Veteran
Hi -

I may not be asking this in the right forum but I'm considering renting points. The owner states I have the option to pay via Paypal or send a check. I read on a forum that telling the renter that they will have to pay the 2.9-3.0% fee for a transaction is not allowed. This fee was discussed during the initial stages of renting the points but the contract doesn't state any additional fees.

I'm not certain which would be a better method to protect myself in this transaction. Any insight on this from those who have rented in the past? I rented points years ago and sent a cashier's check and all was fine with the transaction but this is a new owner who has been great through this process so far.

Thank you!

Charging a fee for using PayPal or any other payment method for that matter is certainly allowed as long as it is disclosed in advance. It is also possibly negotiable like any other terms such as the rental price per point. You should clarify before you rent with that specific owner since I am sure they are expecting the higher amount if you use PayPal. If it bothers you that much, find another owner to rent from.

DVC points are a hot commodity and the owner sets the rules(more or less)

I would never accept to rent my points without the renter paying the 3% PayPal fee.

Maybe it’s cheaper to do a wire transfer?

Thanks everyone for your input. I decided to go with PayPal after all. Actually the credit union I bank with no longer does cashier's checks (but it's been years since I've paid with a cashier's check so didn't know that until I went to the bank). I feel confident with the seller but will update if there are any problems :)

Paypal does have a 'Friends/Family' option without any charge to either party, so that might be something to consider.

Some will also accept personal checks and allow extra time until the check clears (usually 10 days after being deposited).

Thanks everyone! I did do Paypal and it charged me $11.99 to make the payment. I paid using the seller's email address. Oh well...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!