Renting Rollator/Walker for a day?

chelynnah

DIS Veteran
Heading across on my first solo trip next year. I’ll be renting an ECV from Gold, but I’ll be catching an Uber or Lyft one morning to go offsite to the Outlets. Unfortunately they won’t usually accommodate an EVC unless you can disassemble it yourself and that’s a bit too much for me with the full size ones (I can do the small ones, as I have one at home for rare usage, but a week at Disney a big one is better).

Sorry I digress. So what I was hoping for was to be able to rent a rollator with a seat just for a day or two so I could take it to the outlets. Especially with the super long queues now outside the Character Warehouse there’s no way I’d be able to walk the distance in and then stand and wait over an hour etc. And then visit the couple of other stores I’d like to see.

Gold does rent a really nice looking one, but it’s a weekly rental and that would seem such a waste of money ($69.99 plus tax) for just a day. It would probably negate any outlet savings, assuming there was anything interesting I wanted. I have picked up a walking stick that has a fold down seat, but would prefer a walker if I can find one.

Unfortunately I’ve looked through all the other ‘names’ like Scooterbug (that would have been handy with resort pickup), Buena Vista, Apple, Randy’s, and none of them seem to rent walkers at all, let alone by the day.

Does anyone have any experience of a company who might? If not I may get in touch with Gold and be cheeky and see what they might be able to do since I’m also renting a weekly ECV.

Thanks in advance either way :)

Maybe just buy one on amazon and have it delivered to the hotel then bring it back home with you? I don't know what is considered good for a rollator but I see one for ~$45 after coupon.

I am actually debating buying one and taking it on the plane with me as I want to go to HS really early to line up to try and get on ROTR and I can't easily take the ECV.

Maybe just buy one on amazon and have it delivered to the hotel then bring it back home with you? I don't know what is considered good for a rollator but I see one for ~$45 after coupon.

I am actually debating buying one and taking it on the plane with me as I want to go to HS really early to line up to try and get on ROTR and I can't easily take the ECV.
That’s an interesting thought. I’m coming from the UK and had considered buying one here, but seems such a faff with gate checking etc, and what if it got damaged...

But if I could find one cheaper there I could even leave it there (maybe offer to a dinner who was coming in after me).

Definitely worth a thought if no one else knows of any.

Thanks

Orlando Medical Rentals has rollators. According to the website it's $40 per day. I didn't see a minimum rental period but you could ask through their website. They have a chat feature as well as a link to contact via email.

Enjoy your vacation!

I did the weekly rollator rental from Gold Mobility and really liked it. I think they have the minimum to cover their cost to personally deliver it to you. I met them once at my resort and once at the DVC preview center. Wonderful customer service and I like the rollator so much I have just purchased on for myself just like it. This one folds by squeezing the right and left sides together instead of the front to back so it can fit through narrow aisles and is easy to fold in for the bus and to sit next to me in restaurants. I like the mesh sling type seat too. You may find you use it more than you thought you would during the week even around your resort, to go to restaurant, etc. Good luck and have fun planning.

Orlando Medical Rentals has rollators. According to the website it's $40 per day.
No minimum. $5 for each additional day. It's similar to the Amazon one, which currently costs less than $42 if you buy open box.

OP, I don't know if your country has legislation similar to our ACAA, but check with your airline. Especially if you let them know ASAP, your rotator should take precedence in the plane's coat closet.

Amazon pricing will change, possibly even daily.

For $40/day it might be as cost effective to buy one. Don't disregard the three wheel walker either. I've got both the 3 wheel and 4 wheel, and once I figured out that the 3 wheeled one has to have its rear wheels fully extended, I was OK. If they're not fully extended, you can have major stability problems with the 3 wheel rollator. If anyone has brought a walker/rollator when flying, I'd really like to know your experiences. What I'm wondering is do walkers always need to be gate checked, or can some be brought onto the airplane?

I did the weekly rollator rental from Gold Mobility and really liked it. I think they have the minimum to cover their cost to personally deliver it to you. I met them once at my resort and once at the DVC preview center. Wonderful customer service and I like the rollator so much I have just purchased on for myself just like it. This one folds by squeezing the right and left sides together instead of the front to back so it can fit through narrow aisles and is easy to fold in for the bus and to sit next to me in restaurants. I like the mesh sling type seat too. You may find you use it more than you thought you would during the week even around your resort, to go to restaurant, etc. Good luck and have fun planning.
Thanks. I really liked the look of that one so much that I tried to find the same one here in the UK. I am definitely renting a scooter from them so I may be cheeky and ask if they might rent me the walker at a bit less since they’d be delivering both to the same place. They can always say no. It’s not an unreasonable price, and as you say, I might use it more of it’s there all week. If my room is a reasonable distance from the main building or food court I could use that instead of manoeuvring the ECV in and out extra times.

For $40/day it might be as cost effective to buy one. Don't disregard the three wheel walker either. I've got both the 3 wheel and 4 wheel, and once I figured out that the 3 wheeled one has to have its rear wheels fully extended, I was OK. If they're not fully extended, you can have major stability problems with the 3 wheel rollator. If anyone has brought a walker/rollator when flying, I'd really like to know your experiences. What I'm wondering is do walkers always need to be gate checked, or can some be brought onto the airplane?

Most of the 3 wheel ones don’t have the seats as far as I’ve seen (though happy to be shown otherwise as they would be much easier to manoeuvre in a shop), and one of the main reasons for getting it is the ridiculous queue outside the Disney Outlet these days, and rest breaks through the outlet complex. Though maybe by then the queue situation will have calmed down some

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have time, and as has been suggested, some are so cheap to buy on Amazon that may well be the way to go.

What I'm wondering is do walkers always need to be gate checked, or can some be brought onto the airplane?

It's going to depend on the airline - and on what size/type plane you are flying on.

If there is no other equipment destined for the "closet" (and I use that term loosely, because these days, it's typically a very shallow cabinet at best) you *might* be allowed to bring it on, and the Flight Attendants will place it in the "closet" for you.

Most of the time, it will be required to be gate-checked after you have finished using it to get to the doorway of the plane. You typically will be allowed to bring a cane, or folding cane all the way into the cabin, and that can be stored in the overhead (however, other passengers may put their things on top of it, so put it in after everyone is settled if you can)

Most of the 3 wheel ones don’t have the seats as far as I’ve seen

They definitely make 3-wheel rollators with seats. A boy in my daughter's soccer program uses one. I did look at the brand but it escapes me at the moment. Most of the ones on Amazon don't appear to have a seat but I did see one by Speed Care - that's not the one I've seen in person, though.

Enjoy your vacation!

They definitely make 3-wheel rollators with seats. A boy in my daughter's soccer program uses one. I did look at the brand but it escapes me at the moment. Most of the ones on Amazon don't appear to have a seat but I did see one by Speed Care - that's not the one I've seen in person, though.

Enjoy your vacation!
I’ve seen 3 wheeled ones at WDW with seats. I didn‘t notice the brand though.
Some of the 3 wheeled ones without seats might be too narrow or not stable enough for a s’est.

with the super long queues now outside the Character Warehouse there’s no way I’d be able to walk the distance in and then stand and wait over an hour etc. And then visit the couple of other stores I’d like to see.

I just wanted to note that I rented a scooter this past trip but took an uber over to the closest outlet mall that has the Character Outlet (Vineland I think). I got there early before they opened and even though I was in the "second" line which went in after the first line - I still got in fairly quickly. I probably got there around 20 mins before they opened and got in pretty much at opening. I was able to stand/walk but I didn't stay long and didn't do much other shopping after that.

I'll also note that IF you want to get the best merchandise (like the Loungefly backpacks or Dooney) you need to get there really really early - like probably 2-3 hours before they open. They put out only a few and the first people in the door run and get them. Like they will be instantly gone. I don't know if they restock that stuff ever during the day, etc. There was still a lot of great merchandise but you have to shop quickly. It is kind of stressful - and crowded. I just wanted to point that out because with a mobility device it will be hard to move in the store sadly. When I went there this past summer in July (a different trip) I didn't get to the outlet until noon or so - and waited a very long time to get in - and the store looked really sparse - it was super disappointing. If you're used to great finds there - they are still there but much harder to come by. I don't know if anyone has started a thread somewhere about the best tips for shopping there (when to arrive? do they restock at certain times of day? etc) - it would be worth it to know those things - lol!

It's the Drive Nitro, and it's definitely available on Amazon's U.S. site. interestingly, it's sometimes described as European style - so you should at least be able to find something similar.
Yes, I’ve seen similar here. I’m just hesitant to buy it when I don’t need it most of the time. Distances on FL and WDW are the exception. Again, I’m keeping an eye, but paranoid about hate-checking a brand new walker and it getting trashed.

But my ultra-planner brain is working on it. I have till next November so I’ll figure it out by then. I’ve started early.

I did buy a walking stick with a fold down seat I can use to perch on, which I’ll be trying out over the next few months. It may be that I can cope with just that and the walker question is overkill, but I’d prefer to cover my bases just in case.

Thanks soooo much for your help and advice :)

I just wanted to note that I rented a scooter this past trip but took an uber over to the closest outlet mall that has the Character Outlet (Vineland I think). I got there early before they opened and even though I was in the "second" line which went in after the first line - I still got in fairly quickly. I probably got there around 20 mins before they opened and got in pretty much at opening. I was able to stand/walk but I didn't stay long and didn't do much other shopping after that.

I'll also note that IF you want to get the best merchandise (like the Loungefly backpacks or Dooney) you need to get there really really early - like probably 2-3 hours before they open. They put out only a few and the first people in the door run and get them. Like they will be instantly gone. I don't know if they restock that stuff ever during the day, etc. There was still a lot of great merchandise but you have to shop quickly. It is kind of stressful - and crowded. I just wanted to point that out because with a mobility device it will be hard to move in the store sadly. When I went there this past summer in July (a different trip) I didn't get to the outlet until noon or so - and waited a very long time to get in - and the store looked really sparse - it was super disappointing. If you're used to great finds there - they are still there but much harder to come by. I don't know if anyone has started a thread somewhere about the best tips for shopping there (when to arrive? do they restock at certain times of day? etc) - it would be worth it to know those things - lol!
Thanks for that. Luckily I’m not a ‘designer’ person and those don’t normally appeal to me.

We went in Feb this year and it was the usual just walk in and check things out. We were disappointed overall with the merchandise that week (we checked out both outlets). Got a couple of Tees, a mug and a pin, but not much else. Just the week before we’d seen a video with tons of things we’d have been interested in and not too crowded either. So timing is everything. This new situation with the queues and the ‘buyers’ is out of control. I’m glad they’re limiting the ‘buyers’, but something has obviously changed from the usual ‘busy’ to OTT crazy in just a few months. I had a long checkout queue on one trip, but not a crushingly full shop.

All your points are noted, thanks a bunch :)

Edit to add, my notifications came in all over the place, so I missed the ones that commented on 3 wheels with seats. Thanks I’ll keep a lookout.

I did buy a walking stick with a fold down seat I can use to perch on, which I’ll be trying out over the next few months. It may be that I can cope with just that and the walker question is overkill, but I’d prefer to cover my bases just in case.

I *love love love* that you are a fellow planner! 😍 BUT... a heads up - you can only use the walking stick as a walking stick at WDW; the rules clearly state that folding chairs are not allowed, which is what your device is intended to become when the seat is deployed. Other devices that have seats (like Rollators) that are also mobility devices are not prohibited under the rules.

You may have folks come along and say "Oh I took mine to the parks, and there was no problem". If you decide to take your chances, just be prepared, and have a backup plan if Security confiscates it at bag check, or if a Cast Member tells you that you cannot use it.

Plus, historically, we have seen that those types of "tripod" seats that fold out of a cane or walking stick are often very easily unbalanced, especially on heavily patterned or textured surfaces like are common at WDW, or if the user is jostled by the crowd. Everyone here wants you to have an interesting story to tell at the end of the trip, but nobody wants it to be "I fell off my little chair, and had to go to the Emergency Room!" 🙂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter