renting wc for dad???park vs nonpark

Del

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone--

I've never written on this particular board before. We leave soon--check my countdown--- with dh, 2 dd, my dmom and ddad. We are bringing My parents on this trip now, since who knows how much better my father would be walking in 6 months. our orig. plan was to have Dad walk, takes breaks and sit when he wants or needs to and dh would be keeping him company. Dad had been very very resistant to us getting a wc. He had been in denial about how much he can do (still thinks he's forty at 75 yrs old--god bless).

As this trip gets closer, mom is now saying--how don't know how he is going to do it. We are staying at the Contemporary this time to make it easier for him. He can handle getting to the parks and probably waiting in short lines for shows (he won't do rides) and a bit of walking---more than that---i have concerns.

So my question is:

Anybody have advice on helping him keep his independence and pride but still get a wheelchair?

If we get down there and he realizes that he does want one? What is the procedure of renting one at the stroller rental places? First come first serve? Cost? We really don't need one to get to the hotel--just around the parks if he gets tired.

This is a whole new area to me and i would appreciate any feedback from my extended Dis family. Thank you.

Del:confused:

First of all, welcome to disABILITIES.

Often we have had people discuss relatives who don't want to be considered "crippled".

I have a few suggestions. (BTW, I am 63.)

One point to get across is that it is everyone's vacation. If he is miserable it will make the vacation difficult for everyone else in the group.

Second is to, if possible, use an ECV rather than a wheelchair. Yes, they do cost more. However, it will give him the freedom that he needs and he will not have to be pushed by anyone. Kind of harp on the freedom.

Rental from an off-site company means that it can be used also in Downtown Disney, at the resorts, and at the minor parks. Also, it will be available the entire period.

Here are the urls and phone numbers:

Walker Mobility:
888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
407-856-2273, Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282

Randy'S Mobility is in Kissimmee
http://randysmobility.com
407-892-4777

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
800-747-0246

ScootAround
http://www.scootaround.com
Toll-free, US and Canada 888-441-7575

I have used Walker a few times. They will ask for a credit card and charge it the day before arrival. They will deliver the ECV to your hotel bell services before your arrival and pick it up there after your departure. Their rates, especially for longer than a week, are much better than Disney's. Also, their scooters are much better.

You don't say if you are renting a car or what. If you are using a car for getting around, the ECVs break down into five pieces, the heaviest about 39 pounds. They take about a minute or so to take apart and about two minutes (once you are used to it) to put it together.

Another suggestion is find out your state's requirements for a temporary disabled hang tag and get the paper work and have your doctor sign off on it. The tag will allow you to use any of the handicap parking areas (which will be a necessity). Also, with the policy of charging for valet parking, with a handicap hang tag the fees will be waived. Also the valets will usually volunteer to assist in loading/unloading an ECV. In Virginia I printed the required form from the DMV website. When I took the completed form to the DMV Office it took less than 15 minutes from the time I walked in until I had my tag.

Good luck and let us know what finally happens.

My mom is 79 she has arthritic and is having trouble walking. She also is in denial. She thinks she walks fine. She lasts 15 minutes in a recent shopping trip. I finally got her to go to the wheelchair clinic and she was advised to get a "scooter". At first she was very afraid she wouldn't know how to work it, ect. Now she loves it. She is having a holder installed on her car so she doesn;t have to have it taken apart.
One thing is will allow him to do is ride when he's tired and walk when he needs too. I have to remind my mom that she can get out of the scooter. LOL

My DH is in a wheelchair, and i'd advise a ECV over one anyday.
I pushed his around 30 yrs ago, never again. I do not push anymore. my DH is also our backpack,
he carries all our stuff. lol

Welcome to disABILITIES:wave:

As Cheshire Figment said, renting an ecv from one of the off-site companies would give him some independence and you would have the ecv for other places beside the parks.
The parks have a limited number of ecvs for rent, so it is possible they will all be gone when you get there. Also, there is no guarantee of getting one at a second park if you park hop.
Here is a link to the official Disney web page about touring with mobility disabilities. It includes information about renting a wheelchair or ecv in the parks.

If you rent from off-site, the monorails and almost 100% of the buses are equipped to transport ecvs or wheelchairs.

This website has a lot of good info about touring WDW with disabilities (or just fatigue). The page I linked to also has some ideas to convince someone that using an ecv is a good idea.
Hope you have a great trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter