Replacing the Rocking roller coaster with Monster Inc ride

old lady

DIS Veteran

What are they thinking? They want to get rid of all their adult and teen age customers away to Universals.

The Monsters Inc coaster is a rumor that's been around a long time. IIRC, the rumor started about ten years ago when there were reported whispers about a new Monsters Inc inverted coaster at DHS based on the door scene and that would be family friendly. The idea was linked to the success of Toy Story Midway Mania and the growth of Pixar in the parks. The coaster obviously never happened - and the fact that they just finished Toy Story Land and have the Slinky Dog Coaster instead doesn't suggest it'll happen anytime soon (if ever).

Over time, the rumor has morphed from a new coaster into an overlay of Rock n Roller Coaster. While it's an interesting idea and the proximity to Toy Story Land might make that plausible (plus ongoing rumors about the Aerosmith licensing), I have a hard time seeing it ever happen. Setting aside having two Pixar-themed coasters in one park, another reason is that Disney tends not to use young kid friendly properties to theme its more aggressive rides (as above - the original Monsters Inc coaster was supposed to be more SDD/7DMT, and less RnRC/EE). Most of the roller coasters across the parks have more "adult" theming (Indiana Jones and Tron, for example) and most aren't based on any particular IP at all. The coasters that are more kid themed (7DMT and SDD) are family coasters on the low end of the thrill spectrum. The only exception I can think of is the Incredicoaster - but on that one you know exactly what you're getting into since the ride is all out there in the open to see (unlike RnRC).

The point is - it's hard to see Disney theming one of its more aggressive coasters (that has one of the most restrictive height requirements) along the lines of a property that has high appeal among young guests that either couldn't ride it or have families that might get a much different experience out of it than what they may have expected from an IP popular among a young demographic (along those lines - imagine converting Tower of Tower into Tigger's Tiger Bounce).

The rumour is cropping up again after Jim Hill has opened his mouth again. Because the Monsters Inc director (forgotten his name) is now head of Pixar that he could get it approved by the big bosses like Lasseter did with Toy Story and Pixar Pier

The rumour is cropping up again after Jim Hill has opened his mouth again. Because the Monsters Inc director (forgotten his name) is now head of Pixar that he could get it approved by the big bosses like Lasseter did with Toy Story and Pixar Pier
Pete Doctor

Most of the roller coasters across the parks have more "adult" theming (Indiana Jones and Tron, for example) and most aren't based on any particular IP at all.
Hold on, there is an Indiana Jones coaster?

There sure is - as @rteetz notes, it's in DLP (Indiana Jones & the Temple of Peril). DisneySea has essentially the same ride (Raging Spirits), but it's not IJ-themed.
Had no idea, sounds awesome. Maybe they can replace the echo lake area with a new indy themed area with a new version of the DLR ride and a coaster.

Doubtful - with RnRC pulling guests a lot - with longer wait times (thus far) than the brand new "family" coaster in the same park. I don't see them changing that at all to an IP that would attract younger guests. RnRc is Disney's biggest thrill ride (for now) and I don't see them changing that.

They re-theme attractions to "replace" a less popular attraction .. or to try and get an IP in the parks that isn't there (like they did with the Frozen ride). Monsters Inc. has the Laugh Floor and that is probably enough.

If they have contract issues with Aerosmith or just want to refresh it, just pick another band and keep the same concept.

The only time I would see RnRC changing is if they decide to change/retheme that entire end of the park into some new immersive movie experience.

I just wish (as I always have) that RnRC just fit into the theming of the park or at least into the theming of the Sunset Boulevard part of the park.
It's not movie themed in any way and isn't really "old Hollywood" like that whole area is. It's just a thrill coaster shoehorned into a park that needed some a thrill attraction because the "making of movies" theme of shows and walkthroughs just didn't have the longevity of a park filled with actual ride attractions.

That's an interesting thought - I guess I assumed that Lasseter got Toy Story/Pixar Pier/CarsLand into the parks because he actually DID work in the parks. Not sure it others in Disney Animation or Pixar have that same interest in the parks like Lasseter did. :scratchin

That's an interesting thought - I guess I assumed that Lasseter got Toy Story/Pixar Pier/CarsLand into the parks because he actually DID work in the parks. Not sure it others in Disney Animation or Pixar have that same interest in the parks like Lasseter did. :scratchin
That is true. Lasseter was very involved in the parks. He worked in the parks when he was young and owns an old Disneyland train.

A Monsters Inc. coaster is a good idea. A Monsters Inc. coaster replacing rock n roller coaster is a terrible idea. I guess if it’s not the door vault coaster but another one from that movie I’m not happy. This is coming from someone who still considers Monsters Inc. to be one of their favorite movies, ever

This is my favorite attraction in all of WDW. I will cry if they touch this but I would understand why they would want to since its not Disney IP themed at all and thats looking like the direction HS is going. If they do change it, as long as they dont touch the track, still make it launch you as fast as it does, and keep it dark, I would get over myself and stop crying.

This is my favorite attraction in all of WDW. I will cry if they touch this but I would understand why they would want to since its not Disney IP themed at all and thats looking like the direction HS is going. If they do change it, as long as they dont touch the track, still make it launch you as fast as it does, and keep it dark, I would get over myself and stop crying.

This. 100%. I really don't care about the theme, but I love the ride. My favorite ride in WDW... though Splash is more interesting, RNRC is more fun for me. But yeah, it's all in the ride. I think the theme is mediocre. Any theme, with some pounding music, and that track, is just fine. It's the track and, especially, the launch I love.

Hill also speculated that the Parks have a big Toy Story/Cars presence because Lasseter directed them, and since Docter directed Monsters Inc. he would push to include more of that.

The other speculation was that Inside Out (another Docter film) would be a natural fit for Epcot's Journey Into Imagination.

The conversation wasn't based on any real concrete knowledge, Hill and Testa were just spitballing.

They may have to retheme at some point if Aerosmith won't renew the rights and wants too much money for it. This is why DCA lost Tower of Terror, CBS wanted too much to renew the rights rights. Which does mean that unless CBS changes it's tune it is very likely that anywhere Tower of Terror has a twilight zone theme will see a retheming if the attraction into something else, perhaps not Gaurdians, but something.

Hill also speculated that the Parks have a big Toy Story/Cars presence because Lasseter directed them, and since Docter directed Monsters Inc. he would push to include more of that.

The other speculation was that Inside Out (another Docter film) would be a natural fit for Epcot's Journey Into Imagination.

The conversation wasn't based on any real concrete knowledge, Hill and Testa were just spitballing.
Actually, u thin Inside Out would be a perfect fit into Wonders of Life. One thing I do know about Journey into Imagination is that they are going to think twice before removing Figment again.

They may have to retheme at some point if Aerosmith won't renew the rights and wants too much money for it. This is why DCA lost Tower of Terror, CBS wanted too much to renew the rights rights. Which does mean that unless CBS changes it's tune it is very likely that anywhere Tower of Terror has a twilight zone theme will see a retheming if the attraction into something else, perhaps not Gaurdians, but something.
Not even remotely true.

If that were true Tower of Terror in DHS would have also had to remove the Twilight Zone aspect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!