Requests for Oil Substitution?

VolvoManiac850

Let's Go Bucs
Does anyone know what kind of oils are used at WDW? My wife and I are trying to intentionally avoid seed oils (she has a medical condition that is made worse by them). I know WDW is always more than accommodating and we'd like to make sure we can minimize or eliminate our exposure to them.

In particular, we are going to eat at Yachtsman and would like to see that our steak is cooked in butter, tallow, olive/avocado oil, even palm oil...just not canola, sunflower, etc.

Is this a possibility or should we pack a few extra Omega 3 capsules, which we use to balance out exposure (we try to keep the ratio as close to 1:1 to avoid inflammation from Omega 6 in seed oils) when it's inevitable?

We are already packing a ton of other food this go-round. We did eat at WDW restaurants without an issue a few weeks ago, but are trying to play it extra safe after a health scare a few weeks ago and a recommendation from her doc to try to eliminate them as much as possible.

In particular, we are going to eat at Yachtsman and would like to see that our steak is cooked
I’m confident Yachtsman‘s kitchen will have some of the fats you mentioned to sauté steaks. Particularly the butter and olive oil. Just tell your server when you order.

Definitely always check on the oils. I'm allergic to sunflower, and there are a few surprising items that contain sunflower lecithin or sunflower oil. Sometimes they can make changes, other times you simply can't have an item because they don't have other options. I mostly find that they don't fry in sunflower oil, but it's in a lot of breads and other baked goods. I would suspect that canola is used quite frequently, however. I don't know for sure since I'm fine with that, but it's pretty commonly used for frying because of its neutral taste. If it's something not deep fried, I would expect that butter would always be available (but make sure it's actual butter and not "butter-substitute" aka margarine or something similar or only partially butter as those often ARE made with sunflower or other oils).

I think they use canola for deep frying. Not sure what they use on
their grills or pans.

Be sure to list this when you book the ADR (“must avoid seed oils”), and ask to speak to a chef before ordering.

We have some great news with this.

At Yachtsman, our waiter was more than accommodating. His name was Ken and I highly recommend him. He not only went over our options, he brought out the chef, Sean, who went over things with us. This was easily the best service I've had a restaurant. Ever. Anywhere. The meals were delicious, too.

We had a good time at Flying Fish, too. Our server there was William, who worked at the bar (we had a walk up and that was the first open place to sit). He, too, was able to go through our options.

For the record, they were accommodating and were able to use olive oil in place of any sort of blend or straight up seed oil. Also, the sorbet at Yachtsman is amazing and has no added sugars!!

We have some great news with this.

At Yachtsman, our waiter was more than accommodating. His name was Ken and I highly recommend him. He not only went over our options, he brought out the chef, Sean, who went over things with us. This was easily the best service I've had a restaurant. Ever. Anywhere. The meals were delicious, too.

We had a good time at Flying Fish, too. Our server there was William, who worked at the bar (we had a walk up and that was the first open place to sit). He, too, was able to go through our options.

For the record, they were accommodating and were able to use olive oil in place of any sort of blend or straight up seed oil. Also, the sorbet at Yachtsman is amazing and has no added sugars!!
Thank you for the follow up! It will be much appreciated by others with similar concerns.

And I personally am really glad to learn about the sorbet. I’ll put Yachtsman on the list for our next visit!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter