Resale - Aulani or OKW

GGJDad

Earning My Ears
We are contemplating adding on 150 points, with stays alternating between the two resorts (we currently own VGF and BCV). 150 points would be 'almost' one week per year at OKW in a one-bedroom, or 'close to' one week every two years at Aulani in a one-bedroom ocean view for our travel period (end of January/early February). That would equal two trips every three years which works well for us.

The price of both resorts seems to be pretty similar although I believe maintenance at Aulani is higher. I am under the impression that for our travel period that 7 month availability for one-bedrooms should be ok. And finally, because of our age, 2042 expiration doesn't bother me too much.

With all of that in mind, which resort do you think would be better to purchase?

I try to keep the maintenance fees low. Haven't stayed at Aulani yet but have tracked availability at the 7 month window and it seems pretty available outside of peak weeks.

If your plan is to stay in ocean view at Aulani, that seems to be available most times of the year well into the 7 month window. I would think it would be pretty easy to use OKW points there by banking and borrowing where as using Aulani points at OKW is not guaranteed. Right now the last 2 weeks of January and first week of February has full availability for an ocean view 1BR....and we are less than 4 months out. I bet at 7 months you'd have good success of getting your preferred week outside NYE week and maybe the long weekends.

You might also look for an Extended OKW contract that has the later expiration date. I'm not sure what the current price diff is between the 2042 and 2057 contracts, but worth a look.

I think if I was in your shoes, I'd only buy Aulani if I was trying to get the standard or island view. Being okay with the ocean view opens up way more availability and the home booking window really wouldn't be much of an advantage to you if ocean view is what you want. Good luck with whatever you do!

Any children or favorite niece/nephews you plan on willing DVC Resorts to? Maybe they can break your tie breaker.

We own at OKW, having purchased it from Disney in 1995. I was able to book one week in a one bedroom unit at Aulani for the second week in May 2020 with an island gardens view, right at the seven month window. It will be our first visit there and I'm really looking forward to it. We are Florida residents so for us, owning at Disney World is more practical since it's just a 2.5 hour drive. I wouldn't buy points at Aulani because of the long distance and the high airfare costs. I would take where you live into the factors affecting your purchase decision.

I would probably go with OKW since it appears you will be visiting WDW more often than Aulani,

If you ever had the need to have a big trip with others, having all your points at WDW would allow you to book things there at 11 months, even if at different resorts.

Sounds like your time for traveling at Aulani, based on other comments, would be available at the 7 month mark,

Good luck!

We own BLT SSR and AUL

We go to AUL every other year always in February we have have Ocean, Pool, and on this next trip (Feb 2020) Island Garden. We have had 1br, 2br, and DLX studio. Studios are by far the first to go at AUL the reason we bought at AUL was to be able to book the weekends dates as at 11 month as it has been our experience that those dates proved the most difficult to secure.

As far a views unless you are staying in the 3br grand villas you are not getting a true Ocean view after that they really should call it partial ocean view. Pool view was good but noisy and next time I a going to request something above the 6th floor palm trees blocked the view.

You can already see how we answered your question for us AUL made more sense and it had a longer ownership period unless you find an extended contract. With that said OKW had quickly become our most loved place to stay mainly with adults except for the bus service.

Good luck with your decision it is a difficult one either way not a bad choice.

My 2 cents

I would go with the least amount of maintenance fees - these increase every year across the board for all DVC resorts. It depends on if you will really want an 11 month jump on make reservations that being the home resort affords you. We did visit AUL once,had no problem booking 7 months out, and loved, loved the resort. However as we live on the East Coast, transportation to there and back is a huge factor. We probably won't return because of that. OKW is not our home resort but we love it. Quiet, out of the way, nice sized rooms - I would go with that.

I would argue the expiration date matters. After 20 years, you (or your heirs) would still have a valuable asset that could be sold if you purchased Alauni (expires 2062). OKW would be expired (and worth nothing)

If you are on the fence, I would say pick the option that you can sell for 5-figures when you're done being an owner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter