Resale market drying up?

Gary Carter

GrryC
I've been looking for a 150 or less point SSR contract with an October use year for several months now. I don't remember it being this hard to find one when I first bought.

I'm not here shopping for anybody to sell me their contract, I'm just noting an observation that the supply isn't what I feel like I remember it used to being. Has anybody else noticed this? Or am I just crazy (possible.)

I’ve been following bay lake resale and it felt like they had more contracts lately and they’re sitting on the market for awhile.

I've been looking for a 150 or less point SSR contract with an October use year for several months now. I don't remember it being this hard to find one when I first bought.

What sites do you look on? When I was looking for a contract In Sept and Oct I saw two or three on Fidelity that were October use years, in the 130-150 point range. If my contract fell through I was going to grab one of them There are many sites for resale, I had about 4 main ones I used to check daily and then a couple more I would check in with like weekly. If you want a specific use year it's a good idea to check many sites, there are tons of listings to chose from.

There are always "just right" contracts when you aren't ready to buy and hardly any when you are. Just like buying a house, you are at the mercy of what is currently available...IMO you either exercise extreme patience or buy the next best contract if you can manage it financially. Perhaps consider buying a smaller contract now (loaded) to give you a buffer and then purchase another as soon as you have the money...in the future those will both be easy to flip if you need or want to.

My very best contract popped up on a Sunday morning and the agency was open and was more than willing to finesse a purchase on the phone by calling the seller immediately with my offer and calling me with a counter, which was better than I expected and in an hour we had a deal. It was fully loaded with three years points...that was a happy day. It may be there tomorrow morning! Good luck!

I seem to recall a theory that when people receive their dues notice they decide their DVC contract is too expensive and list it. Can't say whether this is true or not.

I checked one reseller web site and they have 2 150 point OCT SSR contracts. One has been reduced price again. Granted neither have 2019 points but full 2020 points. They also show 3 150 points and under that recently have accepted offers.

I seem to recall a theory that when people receive their dues notice they decide their DVC contract is too expensive and list it. Can't say whether this is true or not.
I'm not sure exactly what the mechanism is, but late Fall through mid-Winter seems to be a good time for buyers of timeshares generally, and Spring to early Summer seems to be a good time for sellers.

There are at least four contract at with a 150 SSR points actively on the market right now and even more with 160.

I'm not here shopping for anybody to sell me their contract, I'm just noting an observation that the supply isn't what I feel like I remember it used to being. Has anybody else noticed this? Or am I just crazy (possible.)

October UY accounts for only 8.1% of SSR total points, so that is not helpful

I see 4 150 points listed, 1 130 pointer, and 1 100 pointer and 1 50 pointer

I think the resale prices have grown so high that the market may be slowing somewhat.

Prices have gone up because the resale market is strong and direct prices (at sold out resorts) are so high. The ROFR board seems plenty active.

DVC sales slow down now thru the end of the year, historically, both on the direct and resale side.

DVC sales slow down now thru the end of the year, historically, both on the direct and resale side.

Good to know my parents are now looking at picking up a contract as well (which really surprised me) and I have started to look for their contract as well.

I'm wondering how much the Dis Unplugged DVC Show has helped the DVC Store's business.. I find myself looking every now and again whereas before the show I never thought about adding on..

in looking at the ROFR board, the resale prices seem to have come back down to earth since April-August.

Prices have gone up because the resale market is strong and direct prices (at sold out resorts) are so high. The ROFR board seems plenty active.

ROFR has dropped dramatically over the last few months.

Direct points sales were down 11% in October compared to a year ago. Down 18% compared to October 2 years ago. This isn't just a typical year end slow down.

ROFR has dropped dramatically over the last few months.

I mean has the ROFR dropped or are most contracts now going for more than Disney is willing to pay? Plus possibly Disney passing on the fewer lower contracts simply to hope the wait list decides to go with RIV.

Seeing a lot of “price reduced” and “price reduced again” notations on some of the DVC resale websites,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!