Resale or direct

Lizzy1311

Earning My Ears
So I’m considering Polynesian or grand Floridian direct DVC but I know I could save a lot through resale. Just makes me nervous. Am I missing out on a ton of I go resale? It’s a huge financial difference

I for some crazy reason am super hung up on not being able to book at future resorts. I don’t Know why that has me so torn

So I’m considering Polynesian or grand Floridian direct DVC but I know I could save a lot through resale. Just makes me nervous. Am I missing out on a ton of I go resale? It’s a huge financial difference

I for some crazy reason am super hung up on not being able to book at future resorts. I don’t Know why that has me so torn

We are wrestling with this same decision. There is money to be saved with resale for sure but if you are wanting to stay at the future resorts (we do too) you have to weigh the value of that in the equation. The other thing that bothers me about resale only is as 2042 rolls around there could be less and less properties available to book under the current restrictions. I think what we ultimately will do is purchase 100 direct points from one of the places we want to stay and then add some additional points eventually through resale.

In terms of future resorts you need to ask yourself: is the money saved by resale more or less than you expect to spend at future resorts. We own a resale contract, and plan on paying cash or renting points for the newer resorts if we ever want to do that.You also Need to consider the opportunity cost of the extra $ through direct. 30-40k saved now if invested right could be double that in the next 10-15 years

I think if you are looking at the sold out resorts, it makes it very hard to recommend direct.

The price difference is pretty large. One option is to only purchase the minimum of 100 points to get the benefits and have some points for future resorts, and then add on the rest resale,

This way, if you want to stay at RIV or Future resorts, you’d have 100 points, that with some banking and borrowing, would give you enough to stay there some of the time,

Of course at 7 months, providing you get direct snd resale points with the same UY, those could be used together at 7 months for all the L14 resorts,

We saved tens of thousands of dollars by buying Poly resale. We only go once a year so wouldn’t benefit from the annual pass discount which seems to be the only perk worth any value.

The inability to book future resorts does slightly bother me -but I figure I will rent my poly points out and stay cash at any resort I want to try. So far Riviera does nothing for me so I don’t yet feel like I am missing out.

In terms of future resorts you need to ask yourself: is the money saved by resale more or less than you expect to spend at future resorts. We own a resale contract, and plan on paying cash or renting points for the newer resorts if we ever want to do that.You also Need to consider the opportunity cost of the extra $ through direct. 30-40k saved now if invested right could be double that in the next 10-15 years

30-40K saved? lol on 100 points I wouldn't be anywhere near that! I figure it's more like 6-9K at most depending on resort on that # of points and in reality less than that depending on if a resale contract was depleted or not. Buying direct gives you a fully loaded contract which can be worth 1000's. Also paying cash to stay at the new resorts would significantly cut in to that savings especially if you factor in the work it takes to maximize any rental income. I love the idea of saving money but it's not as cut and dry as that especially for first timers without a blue card.

30-40K saved? lol on 100 points I wouldn't be anywhere near that! I figure it's more like 6-9K at most depending on resort on that # of points and in reality less than that depending on if a resale contract was depleted or not. Buying direct gives you a fully loaded contract which can be worth 1000's. Also paying cash to stay at the new resorts would significantly cut in to that savings especially if you factor in the work it takes to maximize any rental income. I love the idea of saving money but it's not as cut and dry as that especially for first timers without a blue card.
This is what makes me so nervous! It’s about a 7k difference and I’m looking to go a couple times a year (we don’t stay a whole week at a time)

mostly nervous about future changes Disney could make on the resale purchases

but I travel A LOT with my daughter by myself so the monorail is ideal for me. She’s 2. The stroller and a bus are not something I want to do lol I know she’ll get older but we plan on another one so we’re looking at many years before we’re just able to stroll into the parks

At 100 points for Poly or VGF, you save $80-100 per point, which puts you in the $8-10k range. That is sufficient savings to buy into a future resort with a small contract if you really must.

Buying direct gives you a fully loaded contract which can be worth 1000's.

A "fully loaded" contract has banked and current points. Buying direct, you never get prior year points, only current year. You can never get banked points on a direct purchase.

There are no real changes that Disney can make to resale at this point that would be legally valid. The restriction on RIV is based on the terms of how its condo association joined BVT, the trading association for DVC at 7 months. The O14 resorts cannot have their terms changed like that.

They might take away DVD rental, but...

At 100 points for Poly or VGF, you save $80-100 per point, which puts you in the $8-10k range. That is sufficient savings to buy into a future resort with a small contract if you really must.

A "fully loaded" contract has banked and current points. Buying direct, you never get prior year points, only current year. You can never get banked points on a direct purchase.
I don't know all of the terminology but the direct contract I am looking at includes 2019 points which is worth at a minimum $1700 on the rental market. There are very few resale contracts that I have found that include 2019 points (most also have 2020 depleted) AND match my preferred use year so the savings on my 100 point contract in reality is not going to be even 8-10k.

There are no real changes that Disney can make to resale at this point that would be legally valid. The restriction on RIV is based on the terms of how its condo association joined BVT, the trading association for DVC at 7 months. The O14 resorts cannot have their terms changed like that.

They might take away DVD rental, but...
A factor to look at is O14 isn't going to be O14 starting in 2042.

A factor to look at is O14 isn't going to be O14 starting in 2042.
But that doesn't represent "changes to existing resale." You will own on the same terms.

Meaning they may take some away if they wanted?

That's not it. The original DVC resorts begin to expire in 2042. End of contract for BWV, BCV, BRV, Vero and HHI is January 31, 2042, after which NO ONE - resale or direct - will be able to book them.

I don't know all of the terminology but the direct contract I am looking at includes 2019 points which is worth at a minimum $1700 on the rental market. There are very few resale contracts that I have found that include 2019 points (most also have 2020 depleted) AND match my preferred use year so the savings on my 100 point contract in reality is not going to be even 8-10k.

We are in the 2019 UY, so that is current points. There are certainly resale contracts with current and future points. A true loaded contract includes 2018 points right now.

Everyone who owns DVC is still in their 2019 UY. First 2020 UY doesn't start until Saturday.

Disney have to give you current UY. If the contracts they have don't include it, they cannot sell it until it enters the original UY where current year points exist. Disney will never give you past UY points (banked).

This is what makes me so nervous! It’s about a 7k difference and I’m looking to go a couple times a year (we don’t stay a whole week at a time)

Buy a resale contract first! You'll be much happier with the money saved and booking the L14 for the next 20+ years should suffice. Then, in a few years you can revisit the need to purchase direct.

Assuming DVC maintains the 100 point requirement for a membership card, as an existing member with your resale contract you can add on as little as 25 points at another property (50 at CCV, Riviera). There are closing costs, but that's better than having to finance and the smaller contract means you're more likely to pay cash. Then, after you've saved up and are ready, buy another 25-75 to total 100 and get the blue card and have 100 points to use anywhere.

Disney has, for the most part but not always, announced upcoming changes ahead of time. So if a policy change is announced, you will have some time to make a purchase under current policies.

Buy a resale contract first! You'll be much happier with the money saved and booking the L14 for the next 20+ years should suffice. Then, in a few years you can revisit the need to purchase direct.

Assuming DVC maintains the 100 point requirement for a membership card, as an existing member with your resale contract you can add on as little as 25 points at another property (50 at CCV, Riviera). There are closing costs, but that's better than having to finance and the smaller contract means you're more likely to pay cash. Then, after you've saved up and are ready, buy another 25-75 to total 100 and get the blue card and have 100 points to use anywhere.

Disney has, for the most part but not always, announced upcoming changes ahead of time. So if a policy change is announced, you will have some time to make a purchase under current policies.
So I’m a total newbie on this — why is the blue card so important

Blue card has discounts on Annual passes, some restaurants and merchandise.

It's not enough to swing the difference guaranteed, but it is worth doing some math. If it saves for $100 a year on per AP, that for a family of 4 can be 4k over 10 years which starts to cut the difference or can be worth it for separate contracts depending on how many points you're looking at.

I went for the direct. Emotional buy; ran the numbers only to justify my purchase :). Glad I did as I can book Riviera with my CC points. Was also easy and quick to get the points and book right away. No doubt one can save on resale though. This sight did help me in providing a lot of great advice and opinions. Good luck!

You need to own 100 points purchased direct from Disney to get the "blue card" that unlocks things like Moonlight Magic Events, discounts on Dis merch/dining, etc. They're just incentives to try and get you to spend more $$$ with a direct contract. The reality is that you won't make use of lots of the benefits, or it can be duplicated by holding an AP or a Disney Visa card.

First and foremost buying DVC is meant so you can stay on property, and resale does just fine in that aspect. TAKE YOUR TIME and do your research on these boards, everyone is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Every source that I consider reputable says buy where you want to stay first and foremost ( I don't like the Riv.) Also-consider the history of the "perks" and how they have changed over the years and how they could go away tomorrow.

I've come to the conclusion that I can get more points for less money which means more trips/bigger family trips. I don't mind if I don't have the "right color" dvc card. I'm going to be a proud dirty DVC member.

I only want to stay at the classic resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter