Resale & Small Direct

MI_firefighter

Mouseketeer
I am looking at buying resale at SSR. My question is that if I buy a lower point amount resale and then buy a small direct contract, will the direct contract also be at SSR and the same use year? Also, if the direct is at SSR, what are the approximate direct prices and are they only good for the length of the current contact?

Thanks in advance.

I am looking at buying resale at SSR. My question is that if I buy a lower point amount resale and then buy a small direct contract, will the direct contract also be at SSR and the same use year?

Thanks in advance.

I think the answer to that question is going to depend on what inventory Disney has available. Their choice is going to be to get you the same use year. Assuming they have Saratoga Springs points available in your use year then the answer would be yes.

You can ask for any direct contract you want, but in order to use the direct points with the resale points without a few headaches, you want to buy a direct contract at the same resort with the same UY. That way you will only have only one master contract and the points will work together as "one" contract.

Here is a link of current direct pricing.

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-program/financial/pricing-a-promotions

Good luck, I would suggest doing a few more days of research to completely understand the whole DVC point system and how UY, banking, and borrowing work. You didn't say how many times you wanted to visit WDW or what type of room you wanted, or the season you travel usually. Make sure to look at the seasonal point charts in order for you to know how many points you need and add 10%.

After looking at point charts, how we want to travel, and what kind of room we would like. I'm was thinking 150-175 points but in all actuality, I will be getting 200 total. I want the extra points just in case.

Maybe what I am really after is this, I am comfortable buying all of my points resale but a small part of me worries about being a "Second-class" DVC member. Do I really need the direct membership benefits?

Last edited:

Also, make sure that SSR is the resort that you really want, and will be happy with. Trading out to other resorts at the 7 month mark is getting a lot more difficult at the Epcot and MK resorts.

After looking at point charts, how we want to travel, and what kind of room we would like. I'm was thinking 150-175 points but in all actuality, I will be getting 200 total. I want the extra points just in case.

Maybe what I am really after is this, I am comfortable buying all of my points resale but a small part of me worries about being a "Second-class" DVC member. Do I really need the direct membership benefits?

The main financial benefit will be AP discounts. If you're not going to take advantage of that then it just comes down to how much value you put on lounges and special events.

All our pts are resale, but we are grandfathered in due to when we bought them, so we get the direct benefits. For us the big benefit is buying cheaper annual passes. If you think you would go 2x within 1 year (an example for us is going April vacation and then Feb. vacation the following year), an annual pass can make sense. We don't use some of the other 'benefits' as they're not a good use of the pts...and we use them all up at Disney anyway!

A small 25pt direct contract at another resort could be used every 3 years (banking AND borrowing) and get you 75 pts to use.

As JETSDAD said, the only perk of real value is the AP discount. AP's aren't for everyone, but if you go multiple times a year or for extended periods it probably makes sense.

The member events are nice but it's luck of the draw whether one will fall during your trip, and if you already have APs you're not really get anything super valuable with free park admission. Many of the dining discounts you can get with a Disney visa which is free.

Last edited:

In this situation I'd buy SSR for around 160-180 plus 25 retail. By considering a range of points contracts you'll give yourself a LOT more options. IMO you need at least 10% over what you plan for, more if lower season, looking at studios and standard view but likely less or none if looking at 1 BR, preferred and higher seasons. Having a few extra will give you a lot of options. You can get SSR retail but they might not have it at the very moment you call so it could potentially take a few months.

Also, make sure that SSR is the resort that you really want, and will be happy with. Trading out to other resorts at the 7 month mark is getting a lot more difficult at the Epcot and MK resorts.
Depends on time of year and to some extent room types. For example, trading out in summer to 1 beds is easy peasy.

I am looking at buying resale at SSR. My question is that if I buy a lower point amount resale and then buy a small direct contract, will the direct contract also be at SSR and the same use year? Also, if the direct is at SSR, what are the approximate direct prices and are they only good for the length of the current contact?

Thanks in advance.

That is exactly what I just did.

Bought 100 resale and added on 25 direct at SSR with same UY.

When I called Disney for the 25 direct, they told me it might be a while but they called back that same day and told me they had 25 points for me. They said the others in the waitlist wanted more than 25 and they did not have enough for them so I moved to the top of the list.

This whole process was pretty easy, but it did take a little work, patience and luck.

From my first bid on resale to the 25 direct points took about 60 days.

I bought SSR resale and added 25 points direct. The direct add-on couldn't have been easier - about a 10-minute phone call. Points were available almost instantly, along with the perks. The annual pass is awesome. I'm glad I did it, and I suspect you will be, too. As for booking 7 months out, you have to be flexible if you want a highly desirable resort in a busy season - but the truth is, we like OKW and SSR just fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter