"reservation points" questions...

doubletroublemom

Mouseketeer
Hi:

We may have to cancel a DCL cruise that we booked for 2002 half on points. I understand that these are now considered "reservation points". Here are my questions: can I bank reservation points from 2002 to 2003? Also, can I rent out reservation points. If so, would I just book the room and have the rentees send me cash? The reason I'm asking is because 341 points are an awful lot of points to use at a non-DVC resort. I guess I'll have to borrow from 2003 if I want to stay at BWV or BCV in 2002. Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't think you can bank reservation points (all the papers refer to vacation points when talking about banking.) You can double-check with MS.

Also, renting the points might be tricky. I guess you could do it but it might be difficult to find a taker. (I think going by the book it's not really allowed but could be considered a grey area). Using DVC points is pretty expensive at non-DVC resorts and you'd probably have to take a pretty low $ per point. For example, a weekday during Magic Season at a moderate is 30 points. I don't think anyone will pay you $300 a night to stay at CBR. You'd have to come in under whatever rate WDW is offering which would probably be somewhere around $90-$100 a night or about $3 per point.

Hopefully, you or friend/family member will be able to make use of these points either at WDW or one of the other hotel/timeshare options.

Reservation points cannot be banked and cannot be used for a DVC resort. Unless Member Services and DVD decide to overlook it, you also cannot rent them for use by another at a non-DVC resort as such use on points is limited to the member.

Why don't you just try changeing the date for the cruise. Go 3 months or 6 months later. That may be the easy way out. It may only cost you another $75.

Dumbo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter