Reservation was changed to wheelchair accessible but I didn't request it

Shadeaux

DIS Veteran
Somehow our reservation at Jambo was changed to wheelchair accessible one bedroom. I have the original confirmation....it's not on there, but when I go to my upcoming vacations, it has changed. I've read a couple other people have had this happen in the last few months. How are reservations being changed without member approval?

If you are checking in within a week or so it was changed by the room assigner at the resort. All rooms are used, HC rooms included.

:earsboy: Bill

If you are checking in within a week or so it was changed by the room assigner at the resort. All rooms are used, HC rooms included.

:earsboy: Bill
Thanks, Bill. I did find out the change was made by the resort. We've been members for 24 years and have never had anything like this happen. I did online check-in and our arrival time was also changed from what I had. It just bothered me that someone was able to make changes to our reservation without letting us know.

I have had this happen many times, primarily when I am staying in a garden view studio at Boardwalk. Usually it happens only when my reservation is a short stay of 1-2 nights. I will bring it up very nicely at check in and request another room if available and have had 100% success. BUT, as many on the Boards will tell you, someone has to take the room - and one day it might be you. But I do understand how you feel. I much prefer a regular bathroom.

I have had this happen many times, primarily when I am staying in a garden view studio at Boardwalk. Usually it happens only when my reservation is a short stay of 1-2 nights. I will bring it up very nicely at check in and request another room if available and have had 100% success. BUT, as many on the Boards will tell you, someone has to take the room - and one day it might be you. But I do understand how you feel. I much prefer a regular bathroom.

Since it's only one night in a 1 BR club level at AKL, there's probably not much chance of changing. Not a big deal for one night. I think what bothered me more was the room description changed in the reservation to wheelchair accessible when it wasn't there before and I know neither of us made any changes. Anyway, we've never stayed at AKL before and are looking forward to checking out the club level lounge. :)

Since it's only one night in a 1 BR club level at AKL, there's probably not much chance of changing.

Aha - Club Level at AKV. Yep - there are such a limited number of rooms, I think the consensus is a total of 5 - 2 bedroom lock-offs aka 5 - 1 bedrooms and/or 5 - studios. Even if just one of those is handicap accessible you have a 20% chance of getting that room. One reason why I have never wanted to try for it; and the views are not supposed to be very good.

Since it's only one night in a 1 BR club level at AKL, there's probably not much chance of changing. Not a big deal for one night. I think what bothered me more was the room description changed in the reservation to wheelchair accessible when it wasn't there before and I know neither of us made any changes. Anyway, we've never stayed at AKL before and are looking forward to checking out the club level lounge. :)

The room assignors are assigning rooms and if it is only an HA room they have available that is what they have to put you in. Accessible rooms are all part of the room pool and if they are not booked by someone specifically for that reason then someone else will be assigned to it.

The positive is that you have a savannah view with that HA 1BR.

You got tagged :(.

DVC HC rooms often go empty - they need to get filled, and someone decided that YOU got to fill it. It's happened to us as well.

Now sadly, you can expect a bathroom with no shelf space, a zero clearance shower that tends to leak all over, no tub, and fairly limited "armoire" closet space.

We hated this - mostly because we felt GUILTY for removing an HC room from someone that might need it :(. Secondly because the room sort of stinks :(. Oddly? Ours was FAR from the elevator (?).

There's not many things in life that would greatly upset my husband but I think his 6'4" self trying to navigate down to the short toilets and countertops might do it.

Yes, I’ve been tagged on a short trip too. My daughter has also, unfortunately for my daughter she had a toddler with her and a roll in shower, but she did get them to move her to a room with a tub....it was still a HA room though.

We had that room once. We requested savannah view but got pool view (you are not guaranteed either). We asked at the desk if it was possible to switch to a savannah view the next day, it was a milestone birthday trip for my friend and it was important to her. The concierge said it is like a puzzle with the 5 lockoff rooms, they have to block them in advance. Sometimes they are 2 bedrooms, sometimes they are studios plus a 1 bedroom for separate reservations. They have to make sure if they are being booked separate that they checkout the same day when someone has the 2 bedroom booked. They ended up finding a way for us to move the next morning but it was to the handicapped 1 bedroom. We took it, it wasn't bad. The savannah view wasn't that great, Kidani was under construction at the time.

You got tagged :(.

DVC HC rooms often go empty - they need to get filled, and someone decided that YOU got to fill it. It's happened to us as well.

Now sadly, you can expect a bathroom with no shelf space, a zero clearance shower that tends to leak all over, no tub, and fairly limited "armoire" closet space.

We hated this - mostly because we felt GUILTY for removing an HC room from someone that might need it :(. Secondly because the room sort of stinks :(. Oddly? Ours was FAR from the elevator (?).

At AKV concierge 1BR of the 5 possible rooms 2 of them are HA. One has an accessible tub and the other a roll in shower. Odds are 2 in 5 you will get something with accessibility if you book the 1BR concierge level. But they are not as bad as you describe. BWV, BCV, VWL, SSR - all have such stupid aspects of the design like you describe - ie no bathroom storage. The newer resorts do not. At Jambo the biggest disappointment for me in the 1BR HA's are no kitchen island.

Last edited:
The sink area is essentially like the Jambo studios except only one bowl:

20150515_151419_zpskyph7eh6.jpg

The tub is actually enhanced by the grab bars - in the non HA rooms it's a towel bar that people most obviously are using to steady themselves as they step over the high side:

20150515_151536_zpsidxjoyyl.jpg

The missing kitchen island:

20150515_151327_zpsqgry4ute.jpg

And the view - but it's about the best view concierge has. We've only gotten the savannah side once - in this room. Every other time has been the top of the roof looking towards the pool.

20150515_151725_zpsngltev4k.jpg

So, as far as HA rooms go I'd take this over any other in a second. And compared to other Jambo 1BR's it was just as good IMO although I like the island. Personally I hope to get this room for concierge.

There's not many things in life that would greatly upset my husband but I think his 6'4" self trying to navigate down to the short toilets and countertops might do it.

HA rooms have raised toilets. The normal DVC room has regular height which is lower than the comfort height in the HA rooms.

Counter tops it depends on the resort. In some only some of the counter is lowered. In some it isn't lowered at all. And some it might all be lowered.

Last edited:
I would hate it as well, but only because with lupus it is very difficult to bend down for everything.

But the higher toilet would be nice. Normally handicap toilets are elevator.

HA rooms have raised toilets. The normal DVC room has regular height which is lower than the comfort height in the HA rooms.

Counter tops it depends on the resort. In some only some of the counter is lowered. In some it isn't lowered at all. And some it might all be lowered.
Thanks for the pictures. I was doing okay until I read about the higher toilet. I'm only 5'....guess I'll need to bring a step stool. LOL

Thanks for the pictures. I was doing okay until I read about the higher toilet. I'm only 5'....guess I'll need to bring a step stool. LOL

haha - maybe not quite that high! I think it's usually a couple of inches. You're welcome for the pictures. If you happened to be in the one with a roll in shower it will differ in the bathroom - no tub then.

That is quite the reservation! Don't obsess about the room....but research what comes with club level. You were darned lucky to get it. If you had a dining plan...cancel it and enjoy the club stuff!!! Just my humble opinion....don't take my word for it.

haha - maybe not quite that high! I think it's usually a couple of inches. You're welcome for the pictures. If you happened to be in the one with a roll in shower it will differ in the bathroom - no tub then.
I'm 5'4".

I have numerous health problems that make it difficult to get up from a chair.

Getting up is easier if my bottom isn't lower than my knees.

A handicap toilet is raised to make that happen.

I didn't think HA toilets are lower. I thought they were all raised to make it easier to get up. Glad to see that is correct. Linzjane88, why did you think they are lowered toilets? Are they in some resorts you have stayed at?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!