Resort Closings and Any Deals Out There?

Disneypal

Mouseketeer
I am going to try and talk my family into going to Disney this summer. I have heard things have been slow, construction has stopped and the some hotels have even closed (Riverside). Does anyone know anything about any of this? I find it hard to believe that they would close Riverside, Port Orleans, Dixie Landings since it is the biggest resort on property. Anyway the only way i will beable to get them there is if Disney is offering specials. We are on an extremely tight budget (just came back from a cruise), there are 5 of us (2 adults, 20 yr old son, 16 year old daughter and 12 year old daughter). Let me know what is going on and if you know of anyting!!!;)

There are some codes available until June 22nd for both moderate and deluxe resorts. If you look at the top of this board, you will find the post that lists them all.

Good luck!

There are some codes available until June 22nd for both moderate and deluxe resorts. If you look at the top of this board, you will find the post that lists them all.

BTW, PO-R was never completely closed...they just closed the mansions for the winter...it is now all open again.

PO-FQ is closed, but should reopen next October.

Pop Century was put on indefinite postponement of their opening, although construction does continue at a slower rate. It is speculated that it may open early next year.

Disney Institute is closed and will be converted to a Disney Vacation Club resort after modifications are made, and it reopens in 2004.

Hope this helps to clear things up!

Good luck!

I can understand that during the winter that construction would go slower.

The they are converting from one thing to another but what about PO? Did they do maintenance on the mansions? Was this because they were slow? Was this because of the change from Dixie Landings to Port Orleans (which I still think is absolutely crazy))? Same question on FQ?

Thanks for all of the info!;)

Originally posted by Disneypal
I can understand that during the winter that construction would go slower.

The they are converting from one thing to another but what about PO? Did they do maintenance on the mansions? Was this because they were slow? Was this because of the change from Dixie Landings to Port Orleans (which I still think is absolutely crazy))? Same question on FQ?

Thanks for all of the info!;)

No, they weren't routine by any stretch of the imagination...they were due in part, to a soft economy, a decrease in tourism, and a decrease in guests at WDW after September 11th all helped to contribute to the closure of some of the resorts and to the postponement of the opening for Pop Century.

The rooms weren't needed, they needed to consolidate staff, so the easiest thing to do was close all or part of resorts. Things are now picking back up, and the resorts are all scheduled to reopen or open within the next year, with the exception of the aformentioned Disney Institute which will become part of the DVC resorts.

Hope this helps!

There was already rehab being done on the Mansions section at Port Orleans Riverside prior to the partial closing, so I imagine this just made that job easier for maintenance.

French Quarter closed due to poor occupancy after 9/11. It is set to reopen later this year. I don't know if rehab is being done at this resort in the mean time.

Working is continuing on Pop Century. It isn't at a breakneck pace, but it is in progress. There are rumors that Disney will open this resort either later this year or early next year. But nothing is confirmed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!