Resort Dinner Options

dreynolds1982

Mouseketeer
Hey all, we have a one nighter at RPR coming up in two weeks. Looking for somewhere for a nice dinner that night. I know there are plenty of options at City Walk (I've been to some) but most are chains. What would yall say are the best options at the resorts (or CW if there's somewhere that just stands way out) for a nice dinner. I'm not necessarily thinking California Grill fancy, but somewhere for a nice date night. It's the last night of a week+ long trip for us so would like to go out in style. I'm assuming you can go resort hop if you have dining reservations?

The Palm at HRH is awesome but also pretty expensive. My family really enjoyed the Mexican place in City Walk, Antijitos.

Has anyone been to either Shulas (Dolphin or Swan) or Yachtsmans (Yacht Club Resort)? Would you say the Palm is comparable? Or the best restaurant at the Universal complex? I was looking for dining location for our possible upcoming trip, but somehow missed The Palm, glad I read this thread!

Has anyone been to either Shulas (Dolphin or Swan) or Yachtsmans (Yacht Club Resort)? Would you say the Palm is comparable? Or the best restaurant at the Universal complex? I was looking for dining location for our possible upcoming trip, but somehow missed The Palm, glad I read this thread!

Well, it`s 12 years since we went to the Yachtsman Steak House, so maybe an unfair comaprison.......but I would say The Palm is better by far.

It doesn`t feel stuffy, just excellent food and top class service. But, one could argue, yes they are comparable.

Never been to Shulas for food.

The Palm at HRH is the only true "date night" place that comes to mind. I'm thinking something more in line with fine dining, no/very few families, more substantial food than burgers and sandwiches. I think Bice at Portofino Bay also fits this description, but I've never been so I can't speak to how it is. There's Mama Della's at PBH too.

At City Walk, Big Fire and Vivo are unique atmospheres that are not chains (to my knowledge). The fare is a little nicer than basic casual food like Margaritaville would have. As two adults, we also enjoy Toothsome. There's a variety of entrées and while it does have more families around than other spots, its still a unique and fun atmosphere. I saw Antojitos mentioned above which we also enjoy.

I looked at Big Fire and a few other CW spots, but I'm hitting a rather frustrating wall because it seems that a lot of the CW restaurants (not all of them, but several) are closed Monday-Wednesday, and we're doing dinner on a Tuesday night! Bummer.

How's Strong Water Tavern? Looked like a fun, unique kinda joint, laid back but still different than the regular american fare places. Plus my fiance really enjoys tapas and that style of eating.

Someone also recommended Bar 17 Bistro to me because of the views. Though looking at the menu online it seems very limited.

Last edited:
I second Schumi’s suggestion on the Palm. Food is delicious and service top notch.

Amatista Cookhouse at Sapphire Falls has very good food, service and nice ambiance. Ask for a table by the window. Then go up and have a cocktail at the Strong Water after dinner or before.

I second Schumi’s suggestion on the Palm. Food is delicious and service top notch.

Amatista Cookhouse at Sapphire Falls has very good food, service and nice ambiance. Ask for a table by the window. Then go up and have a cocktail at the Strong Water after dinner or before.
Hmm that Amatista Cookhouse place looks interesting. Would be something different, food-type-wise, than what we'll likely be having for the rest of the trip.

I looked at Big Fire and a few other CW spots, but I'm hitting a rather frustrating wall because it seems that a lot of the CW restaurants (not all of them, but several) are closed Monday-Wednesday, and we're doing dinner on a Tuesday night! Bummer.

How's Strong Water Tavern? Looked like a fun, unique kinda joint, laid back but still different than the regular american fare places. Plus my fiance really enjoys tapas and that style of eating.

Someone also recommended Bar 17 Bistro to me because of the views. Though looking at the menu online it seems very limited.

Strong Water Bar is our favourite bar in the whole of Universal Orlando, and probably beyond......

It is fabulous....food, cocktails and service are beyond excellent!!! We have had almost every single cocktail and nearly all the food options they have over the last four years since it opened. There are lots of pics on the food thread......

It is very laid back, they have amazing members of staff who look after everyone so well who comes in there. And make the best cocktails!!!!

It`s casual but makes a perfect evening whether it be casual or for a celebration......

Bar17 is a poor relation in comparison.

Go for the views, that`s the best part.

Strong Water Bar is our favourite bar in the whole of Universal Orlando, and probably beyond......

It is fabulous....food, cocktails and service are beyond excellent!!! We have had almost every single cocktail and nearly all the food options they have over the last four years since it opened. There are lots of pics on the food thread......

It is very laid back, they have amazing members of staff who look after everyone so well who comes in there. And make the best cocktails!!!!

It`s casual but makes a perfect evening whether it be casual or for a celebration......

Bar17 is a poor relation in comparison.

Go for the views, that`s the best part.
*Edited*

***Whoops never mind. Looks like they are closed on Tuesdays as well! BUMMER!***

Has it changed again????

They said they were opening Tuesday till Saturday last time I checked with them.
Their website says closed Mondays, Tuesdays and Sundays. Open 5 pm-12 am other days. Unless they haven't updated their website, which as I've seen during COVID with lots of places, it's a real possibility.

I have eaten at all 3 multiple times. My order is (1) Palm; big gap; (2) Shula's; enormous gap; (3) Yachtsman.

Their website says closed Mondays, Tuesdays and Sundays. Open 5 pm-12 am other days. Unless they haven't updated their website, which as I've seen during COVID with lots of places, it's a real possibility.

Hopefully they`ll change back again before your trip. It would be such a shame to miss out on the most amazing and friendly bar in the whole resort......

hmmm interesting! Thanks - I think we will give Palm a try!

We visit every trip and have never been disappointed in any of our meals. Top class from beginning to end......

You really would love the experience there......

It's not fancy but definitely not chain food. We really enjoyed The Kitchen at HRH, and they take reservations. I would say Bice, but Portofino isn't open yet.

If you’re going in two weeks, make sure you’re going to the universal site and looking at the limited menus that are currently being used. They are posted online. A lot of my favorite dishes are not being offered at this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!