Resort like Aulani on Maui or Kauai??

twodogs

DIS Veteran
We visited Aulani last year with our two daughters (ages 10 and 12 now) and my parents. We did a lot on Oahu (North Shore, Pearl Harbor, Catamaran charter to swim with dolphins, zip lining) and loved it. We loved having the 2 bedroom villa with full kitchen so we could cook and everyone had their own space. The kids loved the elaborate pool area with lazy river and water slides that were not too baby-ish. We all loved the beach of course!

We are thinking of returning to Hawaii next summer, and I want to try Maui and/or Kauai this time. I am struggling to find a resort that is similar to Aulani, in that we want a suite of 2 or 3 bedrooms, full kitchen and large pool/recreation areas in addition to the beach. Many resorts that are the top of all the "Best fpr Family" lists don't seem to have places with a kitchen, just regular rooms or suites without a kitchen (unless they are $6000/night which is not in budget; I'm talking to you Four Seasons!). Or they have a time share section with kitchens (like the Westin Maui time share resorts) but don't have much in the way of a pool that will be fun for my ages of children.

Any ideas??

I think you're going to have to decide what you're willing to do without. You've clearly done extensive research on the topic, so if you were unable to find a resort with all of your requirements, then it probably doesn't exist on the islands that you're looking at.

What about the Fairmont Kea Lani on Maui? They have 2 and three bedroom villas. One of the best vacations of my life was there for 8 nights. I purchased as a package for a discount through Alaska airlines. Each villa had it's own pool and oh so private. Also had a BBQ.

We are hoping to stay at Waipouli Beach Resort in Kauai next year before Aulani for a few days. It's not quite the same, but it does seem to have a cool pool!

What about the Fairmont Kea Lani on Maui? They have 2 and three bedroom villas. One of the best vacations of my life was there for 8 nights. I purchased as a package for a discount through Alaska airlines. Each villa had it's own pool and oh so private. Also had a BBQ.

Or the Grand Wailea which has even better pools than Aulani, IMO. I just assumed the OP had already looked at those and decided against them.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Kea Lani. I had not come across that one, and it may very well work for us!

To the OP, yes I have tried to look into a lot of the resorts on these two islands that might work, but even with the internet, it might be possible for me to miss a few good options out there. So I appreciate anyone on here who has gone to these other two islands, and Aulani, and can offer any suggestions. It may be that nothing like Aulani exists on either island and we will have to compromise our wish list, but I'd like to see if there options. Thanks!!

Just looked at both the Waipoli and the Fairmont on Kauai. Both look like they might work very well. The price points are so very different, though, so I need to look into it further. But both look like real contenders!

I did look at the Grand Wailea, which has some villas set back from the main resort, from which you can use their pools. It just seemed very pricey and then there was a pretty substantial walk from the villa area to the pool and beach. If anyone has stayed there in a villa and can give their opinion, I would appreciate it!

This is why I love the Disboards!

Just looked at both the Waipoli and the Fairmont on Kauai. Both look like they might work very well. The price points are so very different, though, so I need to look into it further. But both look like real contenders!

I did look at the Grand Wailea, which has some villas set back from the main resort, from which you can use their pools. It just seemed very pricey and then there was a pretty substantial walk from the villa area to the pool and beach. If anyone has stayed there in a villa and can give their opinion, I would appreciate it!

This is why I love the Disboards!
What's your price range? Also, when do you plan on traveling? I might be able to recommend some activities. Maui is my favorite island. :)

Last edited:
I know the Big Island isnt on your list but maybe take a quick peek at the Kings Land condos that are part of the Hilton Waikoloa Village.
Kings Land is part of the Hilton Grand Vacations club but it sits on the resort property so you have full use of all the amazing pools and amenities that are part of the resort, including the Dolphin Quest that is on site and boats and a monorail to take you around the resort. The great thing is the condos have full kitchens and lots of room and the price is really good compared to some of the resorts on other islands. There is a beach in the Waikoloa area called Anaehooomalu Bay and one of the most incredible beaches in all the islands is just up the read about 10 minutes-Hapuna Beach(so incredible)

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/hawaii/kings-land-by-hilton-grand-vacations-KOAKLGV/index.html

There is so much to do on the Big Island, including visiting Volcanos National Park and seeing the lava flows there.

Maui is loaded with condos, you are not looking very hard, check VRBO. Honua Kai is one of the newer ones. Aston Maui Kanapali Villas has a great location.

What's your price range? Also, when do you plan on traveling? I might be able to recommend some activities. Maui is my favorite island. :)

I would love to hear your suggestions for activities on Maui. My family and I will be there in Nov. I have 2 boys ages 8 and 10 at time of travel.
Btw...I don't mean to high jack the post, just happened to read your message and could use some much needed help and advice, thank you:)

We just returned from Maui and stayed in a condo in Maalaea, but we walked along the beaches in both Kaanapali and Wailea, and the Honua Kai reminded us a lot of Aulani. It definitely doesn't have the same look, but the amenities looked similar.

We enjoyed Maui, but Kauai is our favorite. We stayed in a condo there, too (just can't handle the high price tags of resorts for 2bedrooms) but there's a resort in Poipu that we walked through that seemed nice (sorry can't remember what brand).

We like to do a condo stay on another island first then a few days at Aulani. That way we can experience more authentic Hawaii as well as be spoiled at a resort!

Thanks all for the suggestions. I agree that I haven't looked at every offering in the way of condos and resorts on both islands. I was just hoping some of the sage folks here who have been to Aulani and these other islands might have been looking for similar accomadatioms and could lead me in the right direction. You are right, there are tons of condos on Maui; that's precisely why I was looking for some some guidance from others on this board. I don't think anyone could look at every offering on each island (and now I need to look on the Big Island too because it sounds awesome Alohamom!)...

Would love Ideas for what to do too Midoria! Thanks!

We plan on going around Memorial Day and the following week in 2018 (late May). Four adults, two kids. I'm hoping to keep the room/suite/villa under $1200/night if possible for all 6 of us. I'd love to keep it under $1000/night, but that may price us out of some of the places with the nicer pools/spa/beaches.

I would love to hear your suggestions for activities on Maui. My family and I will be there in Nov. I have 2 boys ages 8 and 10 at time of travel.
Btw...I don't mean to high jack the post, just happened to read your message and could use some much needed help and advice, thank you:)
We just returned from Maui with a 13 and 15 year old. We enjoyed snorkeling at Kapalua Beach, bodyboarding at Polo Beach, the Old Lahaina Luau, and an outrigger canoe tour.

I'll second the Kings' Land recommendation. It did remind me of Aulani in some ways, especially Hilton Waikoloa Village (hotel side). We did a timeshare exchange, but I remember seeing rental rates under $400/night for a 2 bedroom. That's way below your budget. You could even do another 1 bedroom unit for $200-300/night if you wanted to spread out. The unit was very spacious and nice. I have pictures in my trip report (link in signature) if you're interested.

There is so much to do there, but here are some suggestions that are more oriented towards the kids.

Maui Ocean Center is really fun. Check their website because they have all kinds of events and presentations. I liked the one where the employee was scuba diving in the tank with a mic attached to him so he could talk about what he was doing.

Ulalena (a show) is really wonderful. It's like a cross between "Ha: Breath of Life", the show at the Polynesian Cultural Center and Cirque Du Soliel, but focused on the history of Hawaii. There are tons of clips on YouTube if you want to see what I mean. My family and I went and then had dinner on Front Street.

I'm openly obsessed with Haleakala, but I really do think you shouldn't go to Maui without seeing it. Kids like being above the clouds, and there is the Jr. Ranger program where they have little nature/Hawaiian-oriented tasks in order to complete their booklet and get a badge. Just make sure you bring jackets, drinks, and snacks. Haleakala is in what they call "upcountry". Upcountry is also great for zip-lining because it's at a high elevation so each easy to set up fun courses. Skyline Eco has a location right on Haleakala Hwy, so you could make a day of it. The Lavender Farm is up there as well.

If the kids love to swim, try taking them snuba diving. It's a really cool experience. The minimum age is 8, so all of you can do it if you want. I had a few close encounters with a curious turtle that seemed fond of me. For some reason, Oahu has only one snuba place, so I always suggest it when someone is on another island because they have tons more options. Here are places on Maui where you can do it: https://www.snuba.com/maui/ I did a snuba at Molokini.

I've heard really good things about the Atlantis Submarine on both the BI, Maui, and O'ahu. I've never been on it because I felt claustrophobic just looking at the pictures.

If you go to Hana, then stop at the Hana Lava Tube. It takes about an hour, but it's super fun. It's just eerie enough to be cool, but not outright scary.

We stayed at Honua Kai on Maui before Aulani. It's not on the same level as Aulani resortwise but I loved it. The condos are super nice and we had a full kitchen with everything we needed, laundry, huge bathroom with separate bath and shower. There are several pools and one slide and they have a Duke's on site with pool service. We spent most of our time on Maui out exploring the island so it was perfect for us.

You are all the BEST!!! Thank you! Off to do my homework and figure this out with your kind guidance!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!