Resort like Aulani on Maui or Kauai??

It was our first trip to Hawaii and we spent 4 nights at the Waipouli Resort on Kauai and 3 nights at Kehei Surfside on Maui last month before spending a week at Aulani. All 3 were 1-BR units. It was just my wife and I. Though we realize there are many beautiful places to stay on each island, we have already said that if we are lucky enough to return to Hawaii we probably wouldn't look anywhere else. As mentioned earlier, Waipouli is what I would consider similar to Aulani. Great pool area and a decent beach area, though the beach is not as nice as Aulani. The on-site restaurant was excellent and rated very well on Trip Advisor. It was a HUGE 1-BR condo that we rented through a great company called Kauai Calls. The people there were excellent to work with. https://www.kauaicalls.com/

As for Kehei Surfside on Maui, we were in Unit #108 and the view from the lanai was great, with the pool area just a short distance from our room. The owner (Elizabeth) was outstanding in answering our questions. It was so quiet and just a 5 minute walk to an excellent beach (Keawakapu, very highly rated on TA). The great thing about the Surfside is that you don't have to cross any road to get to the beach. We rented this through VRBO.

I think VRBO is the way to go. I really felt like we got a lot more for our money as compared to the pricing at some of the resorts like the Fairmont. Definitely not the same level of overall resort amenities as a Fairmont, but since we were pretty much on the road most of every day, these resorts were perfect for what we needed such as the full kitchen, lots of space, and pool and beach access.

Sorry to add to your homework assignment!! :)

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but the Westin has a villa/timeshare property in the Kaanapali region on Maui. We stayed at the regular Westin which is down the road and loved it, so I imagine the villas property is of the same quality and beauty. They also provide a free shuttle between all the Starwood properties and that also goes to the outlets and Front St. Lahaina which has a lot of shopping and dining options. It was a fun spot.

Lots of good recommendations for Kauai. We stayed at the Marriott Kauai in Lihue, near the airport, and it was a massive property but I can't confirm if there were any Marriott Vacation Club rooms that would be villa-like. We had a standard room. But the area was very convenient and the property was gorgeous. We could walk to a lot, and it was very easy to drive around the island and from the airport. We drove up to Port Allen one day for a dinner cruise, which was also an easy drive.

In Kauai, check out the Marriott Vacation Club properties there. They are timeshares, but you can also rent them just like a regular hotel room through Marriott's website. We stayed at the Waiohai Beach Club in Poipu (south side of Kauai) and absolutely LOVED it. Two bedrooms, full kitchen, washer and dryer, etc. Pool was not huge but was really pretty and our kids loved it. They also had a fun poolside bar with surprisingly good food. Close (but not walking distance) to tons of restaurants and activities. Then there is also the Marriott Vacation Club in Lihue (east side) - the Kauai Beach Club. The beach is better than than the Waiohai (the beach at Waiohai was a little rough) and the pool is much bigger. The resort also has more restaurants and activities right in the resort than Waiohai does. But, of course, it's much more crowded and doesn't feel as much like you are getting away from it all. Oh, and be sure to check for AAA rates and/or become a member of the Marriott Rewards program (which is free; you just sign up) - both will get you discounted rates. AND, check back every so often - the rates dropped twice after we booked and they gave us the lower rate both times.

Ok my homework is growing! But in a good way; all of your advice is so much appreciated!!!

If you do consider Kings Land condos on the Hilton Waikoloa Village resort / Big Island look directly at their website to see the amenities they offer for the Kings Land guests to use.

http://www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com/

We've stayed at the HWV many times and it's GREAT! I think that the Hilton has a close timeshare that allows guest access to the pool and lagoon area.

FYI: The Hilton Waikoloa Village is starting a massive restructuring/construction project. The Ocean Tower was sold to Hilton Grand Vacations Club, which is Hilton's timeshare division. Hotel rooms will be converted into timeshares much like what is happening at Disney's Wilderness Lodge Resort. Additionally, several restaurants and public spaces will be removed to create a new lobby for the timeshare units. The date for the close of the Ocean Tower is set for October 1, 2017.

All of that is basically confirmed. Unconfirmed rumors include the possibility of the Palace Tower being sold and converted to timeshares. That will only happen if the Ocean Tower changes are successful.

While the Kings Land condos wouldn't be directly affected, I'd factor the construction in as a overall negative in visiting that part of Waikoloa. This will be a multi-year construction project.

We have stayed a thing Marriott Vacation Club properties on both Kaui and Maui.

On Maui we stayed at the Maui Ocean Club. There very large pool area, and a small pirate ship water play area by one of the pools. There are two sections to this resort... one side (the older side) essentially has converted hotel rooms with kitchenettes. It may be described as a "two bedroom" but it's really former connecting hotel rooms, made into a villa. The newer side has full villas with full kitchens.

We have also stayed at Kauai Lagoons. This is on the same massive property as Kauai Beach Club. I believe the Beach Club side is like the Maui property -- remodeled hotel rooms with kitchenettes. Kauai Lagoons was originally going to be a Ritz Carlton Residence property. The rooms and property are gorgeous, but you do need to travel to the Beach Club side to get to the beach. The rooms are full villas. The pool area is small, because the Lagoons property is small.

On another note, I don't know if there are any villa/timeshare rooms, but the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa looks awesome! It is next door to Marriott's Maui Ocean Club. The pool area looked massive, and looked to have caves to swim in. And there are animals in the lobby! Birds, penguins, etc! (We went to Maui in 2015, so I assume the animals are still there)

these are photos of our view from Kauai Lagoons, and the Kauai Lagoons pool.

IMG_3961.JPG IMG_3926.JPG I thought I had a photo still on my phone from our Maui trip, but I can't find it.

@twodogs which resort did you choose? We are starting to plan our 2018 trip and would love to go back to Aulani but are also open to other similar resorts. Seriously considering the Kings Land condos. Thanks!

I still don't know!! I have looked at everything mentioned in this thread, and I come away thinking that they are very nice, but not "Aulani". I guess they just set such a high bar at Aulani... I really want to try other islands with the kids, as Hawaii has so much to see and do outside of Oahu. But the search continues...

@twodogs we are feeling the same way! And with the kids still in the ages to really enjoy Aulani, we are still leaning there. I figure we can maybe try the Kings Land condos when they start to get older and maybe outgrow Aulani. Plus, already having been to Aualni, I know we will have a blast. And trying somewhere new scares me!

I still don't know!! I have looked at everything mentioned in this thread, and I come away thinking that they are very nice, but not "Aulani". I guess they just set such a high bar at Aulani... I really want to try other islands with the kids, as Hawaii has so much to see and do outside of Oahu. But the search continues...

If you plan on exploring the island, do you need a resort? I feel like it's a waste to pay for amenities that you're not going to be using on a daily basis.

In case you're still considering it, I thought I'd chime in on your question about the Grand Wailea villas. Last December our family (DH, 4 year old and 1 year old) stayed at Aulani for a week, followed by a week at the Grand Wailea villas. After being at Aulani the Grand Wailea was REALLY disappointing (and much more $$$). The pool area was smaller, pretty dirty, and closed much earlier in the day (although that might just be a December thing for them?). My 4 year old was upset the whole time and wanted to go back to Aulani. I would look into the other awesome options that people have recommended!

In case you're still considering it, I thought I'd chime in on your question about the Grand Wailea villas. Last December our family (DH, 4 year old and 1 year old) stayed at Aulani for a week, followed by a week at the Grand Wailea villas. After being at Aulani the Grand Wailea was REALLY disappointing (and much more $$$). The pool area was smaller, pretty dirty, and closed much earlier in the day (although that might just be a December thing for them?). My 4 year old was upset the whole time and wanted to go back to Aulani. I would look into the other awesome options that people have recommended!

WOW! Good to know, thank you!!

To further add to the confusion - ;-) - I have vacationed on both Maui and Kauai many times and have a favorite place for each. Grand Hyatt Kauai is my absolute favorite hotel for a family with kids. And for Mauai a completely different recommendation - google "Makani Akau" - hands down the best rental home I have ever had - within walking distance to Paia town, water view with turtles swimming happily, gorgeous pool, jacuzzi - everything. Absolute heaven!

I realize neither of these come anywhere near what you are looking for - but I know you can't go wrong with either!

To further add to the confusion - ;-) - I have vacationed on both Maui and Kauai many times and have a favorite place for each. Grand Hyatt Kauai is my absolute favorite hotel for a family with kids. And for Mauai a completely different recommendation - google "Makani Akau" - hands down the best rental home I have ever had - within walking distance to Paia town, water view with turtles swimming happily, gorgeous pool, jacuzzi - everything. Absolute heaven!

I realize neither of these come anywhere near what you are looking for - but I know you can't go wrong with either!

The Grand Hyatt Kauai is pretty amazing, we loved it and Kauai is so lush and gorgeous. The room we had was a decent size but there is no kitchen (fyi op)

Let us know what you decide. I'm starting to worry we won't be able to find points and will miss Aulani so I'm trying to work on a back up plan. I don't actually care what island. Mostly looking for an awesome pool/beach for the kids.

Not what you're looking for as far as room type, but we stayed at the Hyatt in Kaabapali before kids and loved it! The resort is amazing. Since we had our son we've been to Aulani 4 times in the past 4 years and loved it also, but next year I think we are going to do a split between Aulani and the Hyatt in Maui because Maui is our favorite island and we think our son would really enjoy the penguins and birds and the pool and beach area there. If you can find rooms to make it work I highly suggrest it. They usually have dead where there breakfast buffet is included and it's amazingly delicious and could help with the cost of food.

Thanks all. I'll keep following your ideas and see what we can come up with. I'm glad I'm not the only one trying to clone Aulani on other islands (are you listening disney???)!

@twodogs We decided to go with the Kings Land condos.....I am a bit nervous about it, but they really look amazing. And you cannot beat that price!! Holy cow. Huge savings from Aulani, so we extended our trip to 10 nights. Which, ten nights in Hawaii? Cannot beat that!! So now I am doing a ton of research for the Waikoloa area. It was a really hard decision (I agonized over it for a long time), but we just could not justify the extra cost at Aulani. We are doing 10 days in a 2 bedroom suite with my parents (so splitting the cost) and with flights and the room, we are right under 5k.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter