resort wheelchair questions

RedRuby

TDC Barrister & Solicitor to Mr. D. Duck
I've checked the FAQ and understand that manual wheelchairs are available at the resorts on a first come, first served basis. I have a couple of specific questions which I didn't see answered at the FAQ. Maybe someone knows the answer or has experience with these specifics? (It could be a YMMV situation, I realise...just looking for general expectations.)

Can we borrow a resort wheelchair for the duration of our stay, or do we need to borrow and return the wheelchair every day?

Can we borrow a resort wheelchair and take it to the parks and back, or would the guest need to leave the wheelchair at the resort (either in the room or back to resort services), sit on a seat on a bus, and rent a wheelchair at the destination? (A wheelchair in our case is not required but "of assistance" for medical reasons.)

We used the complimentary chair at OKW last year. We had it from check-in til' check-out. The deposit was around $300-350, they gave us a lock and a cable.
We used the chair everywhere, including when we went to Universal.

HTH,
Frank

vonpluto said:
We used the complimentary chair at OKW last year. We had it from check-in til' check-out. The deposit was around $300-350, they gave us a lock and a cable.
We used the chair everywhere, including when we went to Universal.

HTH,
Frank
::yes::
That's how it works.

SueM in MN said:
::yes::
That's how it works.

Cool! I'll be sure to ask my TA to ensure the wheelchair request is in our room ressie. She'd been told there were only chairs at the parks, and for paid rental only....Thanks again.

The resort wheelchairs cannot be reserved, they are strictly on a "if we have one at the time you ask you can get it". If you rent one from an off-site company you can be sure of having it. Also if there are special needs, such as keeping a leg elevated, the features are not available on the Disney chairs but are from the off-site rentals.

Additionally, if you are not used to a wheelchair it can be difficult for the rider and/or pushers -- there are hills. If the user will be 18 or older possible consideration should be given to rneting an ECV (again from off-site) to give the user more independence.

RedRuby said:
Cool! I'll be sure to ask my TA to ensure the wheelchair request is in our room ressie. She'd been told there were only chairs at the parks, and for paid rental only....Thanks again.
From what i have been told, the wheelchairs can't be reserved ahead of time - they are first come, first serve, so they are not a "request in the room reservation" type item. I guess it won't hurt, but probably won't change anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter