Response to compliants

Talking Hands

<font color=purple><b>|,,|/</b> DEAF DISNEY LOVER<
I emailed Disney about the problems I had on my trip in April and was basically given the brush off. Not happy at all. The issues of the bus and of castmembers hanging up on TTY and relay calls were not addressed at all. I have emailed them back and if I do not hear back in a few days I will call this person via relay.

What happened?

I probably missed your post about it. Could you post a link?

Didn't post the details. There were a number of issues.
1. Lost my luggage at All Star Music
2. Hang ups on TTY and relay calls to the hotel to get room number
3. Bus transportation constantly needed to request a second bus because all they were running all Nova buses and I will not back up a ramp as it is dangerous with my type electric wheelchair
4. Castmembers not being helpful at Crystal Palace. Not helping me reach food at the back of the counters. Also area at cutting station blocked so castmember cannot see Guest in wheelchair waiting
5. Refusing access to the area for interpreting at Tarzan because they had already filled the wheelchair spots with hearing guests. Show is only interpreted at 1 show per week
6. Castmember at Small World refusing to look at my GAC and trying to yell instruction from a distance. Was rude when he finally came over when I wouldn't move until he came and gave me clear instructions.

Wow! I would be upset too!

I just have one question concerning #6. You use a wheelchair, correct? Why would you need a GAC??

LindsayDunn228 said:
Wow! I would be upset too!
I just have one question concerning #6. You use a wheelchair, correct? Why would you need a GAC??
I am also hard of hearing and need to stay out of the heat and sun because of medications. But the point not so much not looking at the GAC but the fact he was refusing to come over and speak so I could read his lips. Even when he came over he refused to look at me and speak clearly.

Lisa,
Please let us know how this turns out. I'm sorry you had so many difficulties.
Thanks

I am so sorry you had all those problems - and encountered rude CMs. We go to Disney World to feel the magic, and that's pretty hard to do under the circumstances you reported. I hope you get a nicer response from Disney - and that you'll post about it here.

:grouphug:

That is so unacceptable, how do we stand for this kind of discrimination, doesnt the ADA have any meaning to the current training at Disney? Again, I believe they are shaving corners in an attempt to cut corners... maybe they should charge an extra $.50 cents (like they do for phones for 911, and tty here) per ticket to go directly to training and sensitivity courses at Disney... (of course then there is that 'accountability issue) imho it doesnt change unless someone high up has someone close with a disability and hoh and deaf issues are often overlooked... unacceptable.

I wonder if writing a 'snail mail' letter, but mark it personal and confidential to the right person wouldnt get a better response?

I'm at a loss, and am very saddened that this is still happening!

The to issues I am concentrating on is the problem with the tty/relay being hung up on and the bus issue. While irritating the others are really minor inconveninces and rudeness. I don't want anything except that the problems be resolved. And I am not looking to sue Disney for lack of access, just please fix the problem.

I understand you want the problem fixed, as do I!! I'm not very good with problems and I understand the "minor" inconveniences, its still very insensitive to you!!

Keep us updated!!

Lisa-

I was told the name of the disability awareness coordinator last week nad I didn't write it down, I will find out again for you. Maybe you can write straight there.

MommytoMJM said:
Lisa-

I was told the name of the disability awareness coordinator last week nad I didn't write it down, I will find out again for you. Maybe you can write straight there.
That sounds like a good idea. He/she should more concerned.

I didn't read this until today (been very busy with work and other things).
Refusing access to the area for interpreting at Tarzan because they had already filled the wheelchair spots with hearing guests. Show is only interpreted at 1 show per week
There may be something that prevents them from forcing anyone to move for you to sit there, but common sense would be to ask the people seated there if they would mind moving so that someone who needed wheelchair access plus the interpreter could be there.
If they don't already have a procedure, it should be that for the interpreted shows, those wheelchair spots should not be used by people who don't require interpretation unless there are no other wheelchair spots left.
Castmember at Small World refusing to look at my GAC and trying to yell instruction from a distance. Was rude when he finally came over when I wouldn't move until he came and gave me clear instructions.
You are the third person I am aware of with complaints about a CM at Small World. Since the procedure for that ride changed considerably after renovation, they should be simpathetic to returning visitors who don't know what to do there (basically, you wait in line and keep going around until the "guard" of the wheelchair gate decided you have gone around enough times and then her lets you in.
We had to make 3 trips around. On our 2nd trip around, we saw a party with an ecv talking to him. They started in the line 3 line lengths behind us (this makes more sense if you have been there - sorry), but by the time we got to the boarding area, they were only a few feet behind us. So, I think he must have let them "in" after less trips around than he let us in.

How sad, that this happened to you!

My complaints were brushed off too, from our stay after Easter. We had hotel problems -- I did get replied to, but pretty much fed lip service. I didn't even address the rude CMs we had to deal with at the parks, with our GAC.

Just a sidenote, for a valid reason, our family ends up sitting with the HOH/deaf visitors at most shows but we don't require interpreters or reflective captioning. Not that this was the case at your visit, but those seats are sometimes used for multiple purposes. HOWEVER...I wish, if someone needing to sit there came along and the seats were filled at a 1x per week interpreted show that a CM would approach our family and tell us. We would, in that instance, insist on moving part of our family a few rows back to free up some seats. It's only the right thing to do!

We had several istances where CMs at rides/attractions would refuse to look at our GAC. The man at the Dinosaur ride, when I tried to show him discreetly, yelled at me. YELLED. Twice. Others lied to us about the attraction, not giving us what our GAC stated we needed. Several of them, we confronted after the ride...they would say "Oh, yeah. I forgot this ride had that." Much to my embarassment and frustration, a number of CMs actually questioned us about why we needed what our GAC stated.

As for the bus situation, I have heard that complaint before. It is sad. I hope WDW gets their buses all the same, to buses that everyone can safely enter. For someone in a wc to have to wait while several busses go by, because they cannot get into that particular style of bus, is pretty sad.

I hope you find someone to listen to you, they should seek to fix these problems for the future. And the rudeness on the IASM ride is pretty unforgiveable.

Take care!
Beth

Ask for compensation, preferably in writing with perhaps a whole dossier of written up experiences presented to Guest Relations.

Have to wait a long time for a proper bus? Ask for some extra fast passes you can use when you finally get to the park.

TTY keeps hanging up? Ask for re-imbursement of telephone charges, or perhaps complimentary ice cream.

The interpretation at Tarzan situation if it really was as you described? I really think this one is worth a later special run of the show with interpretation at reasonable convenience to you. Or you could have tried to get a supervisor over to resolve the problem, possibly restarting the show.

Even a rude cast member merits some perk at a later date, just to give Guest Relations a "heads up".

If you have already returned home, feel free to present the dossier on your next trip down.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

I am praying that you get some resolution to your VALID concerns and complaints. The attitude towards the GAC has me very concerned about our trip in December. As you can see in the photo, my children look perfectly healthy and "normal". However, that is not the case for 2 of them, and they work diligently every week in therapy and with meds to help correct their issues.

I hope that Disney takes what you write very seriously and addresses these problems!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter