Restaurant gets in trouble for re-serving Popeyes fried chicken

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
http://abc7.com/food/long-beach-restaurant-under-fire-for-serving-popeyes-chicken/2548021/

Apparently the problem was that they didn't disclose that they just bought fried chicken from Popeye's and used it as part of their $15 chicken and waffles plate. The place is called "Sweet Dixie Kitchen" but somehow they aren't set up to fry chicken. A customer noticed the big bags from Popeye's in their kitchen. Don't a lot of southern-style restaurants pan fry their chicken? The owner claims that it's the best chicken she can find, but that she hasn't expressly received permission to resell it. I guess there are also some concerns that this violate health codes if it wasn't prepared onsite. I know of one local place that had to stop selling its fried chicken. It was a literal hole in the wall where the owner had no room for preparation. He did all the prep work in a sink at his home, but the health inspector told him he had to stop because they weren't allowed to inspect his home setup.

So "most of her stuff is made from scratch" yet she doesn't have a "proper kitchen" in back? OKaaaaay.

I suppose there's nothing inherently wrong with serving Popeye's chicken at her place. All of the ingredients have to be sourced from somewhere, either a wholesale distributor or a retailer. Lots of restaurants (many major chains) serve food that is pre-cooked elsewhere and warmed up or microwaved on-site.

So "most of her stuff is made from scratch" yet she doesn't have a "proper kitchen" in back? OKaaaaay.

I suppose there's nothing inherently wrong with serving Popeye's chicken at her place. All of the ingredients have to be sourced from somewhere, either a wholesale distributor or a retailer. Lots of restaurants (many major chains) serve food that is pre-cooked elsewhere and warmed up or microwaved on-site.

I thought that Howard Johnson's did it with several commissaries. A couple of well-known restauranteurs (Jacques Pepin and Pierre Franey worked there. I don't know how legal what they're doing is based on how the food is handled. I remember my folks operating a small restaurant, and the health inspections looked at every last detail including how long food stayed refrigerated or was kept hot. Restaurant inspectors go crazy when stuff is merely warm. I thought that any kind of meat in the kitchen was supposed to either be refrigerated or hot to prevent microbial growth. Certainly at my company cafeteria, any kind of meat ready for cooking stays in a stainless steel bowl on ice, and gets immediately placed onto the grill. Anything that was already cooked would stay under a heat lamp or on a steam tray.

I think they should stick with what they can actually cook on site. Makes me wonder what else they outsource. I guess using ready made chicken isn't the end of the world, but I'd be pretty annoyed at paying $15 for something I could get for $5 down the street.

I know chain places heat and serve, but you kind of expect that from chains and at least the food is specific to that chain. This place promotes itself as a family business and brags about their chef who lived in Georgia for a time.

Yeah. She scratches the boxes of chicken when they come in. Made from scratch.

Scratch is slang for money. She pays scratch for Popeye's chicken. Made from Scratch.

I think she is in real trouble when Popeyes finds out and runs this through legal. They'll take more money off her than she has. LMAO Yelp closed down reviews she was getting hammered.

Someone asked if southern chicken is fried in a pan. The answer is it might be. But a restaurant probably wouldn't do it that way. We used a dutch oven as many do because it's deeper and thus you can make the oil deeper and it won't spatter all over the place. Oh and Shortening or Lard is the classic medium of choice rather than oil.

As for southern fried chicken and waffles, that's a Northern innovation ironically. And it is that style that is popular in LA. And Roscoe's is the place to go get it. No need to pay $15 or $20 or in some high end places maybe $30 to get it. Just go to Roscoe's.

I think she is in real trouble when Popeyes finds out and runs this through legal. They'll take more money off her than she has. LMAO Yelp closed down reviews she was getting hammered.

Someone asked if southern chicken is fried in a pan. The answer is it might be. But a restaurant probably wouldn't do it that way. We used a dutch oven as many do because it's deeper and thus you can make the oil deeper and it won't spatter all over the place. Oh and Shortening or Lard is the classic medium of choice rather than oil.

As for southern fried chicken and waffles, that's a Northern innovation ironically. And it is that style that is popular in LA. And Roscoe's is the place to go get it. No need to pay $15 or $20 or in some high end places maybe $30 to get it. Just go to Roscoe's.

I always heard it was a soul food dish made by southern black people who came north. I thought that fried chicken has been popular in the south for ages and that the combination would typically be that style that one’s family enjoyed.

I have had pan fried chicken before. It was a daily special in a place that had a big enough kitchen but where they had no deep fryer.

One of DH's high school jobs was cleaning the oven hoods in commercial kitchens. Popeyes was one of the worst. The kitchens were awful according to him. In 30 years we have never eaten at a Popeye's because of his experience

And now I want Fried Chicken.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter