Restaurant recommendations (with allergies)

Jaina

Actually, my name is Sara. It's a long, VMK story.
We will be in Anaheim (staying at the Anaheim Hilton by the convention center) December 3rd-5th, and spending the 4th park hopping (with MaxPass!). I need some recommendations for

a) best moderately-priced sit down restaurant in DL/CA that has some tasty options for GF/DF (my husband - he tries to stay as grain-free as possible, too) I would love a Monte Cristo... anyone eaten GF/DF at Cafe Orleans?

and

b) some good recommendations in the area right around there (south of DL) for a yummy meal (again, with GF/DF options) that won't break the bank. We'd love to try Napa Rose or Steakhouse 55, but since this is a last minute trip that we didn't budget for, and since the holidays are already expensive, looking to stay under $15-20/meal but still do something enjoyable.

Anyone have thoughts for me?

https://www.disboards.com/threads/gluten-free-dining-at-the-disneyland-resort-a-superthread.3003289/

Tons of info in this thread. I recommend reading from the most recent backwards as the most current info is in the last posts.

I have Celiac so am GF, but not DF. I've never had a bad meal at DL. Quite a few of the eateries now have allergy menus, just ask at the first CM you see. Or ask to speak to a chef. They'll be more than happy to come out and go over things.

The link below has the allergy menus online. You'll need to scroll down a bit as they list the WDW menus first. Note; I believe the Cafe Orleans menu has changed recently. I don't know if the one on the link is the old or new one.

Thanks, that is perfect!! (They do seem to be updated) He is probably celiac (we've never had it diagnosed, but he's been GF for almost 6 years, and often reacts to cross contamination or -something-) but is DF mostly because it doesn't agree with him. There's no obvious allergy. So gluten is most important!

Any suggestions for best GF quick serve/snacks, too, let me have them! I'm sure he'll do a skewer at the Bengal BBQ, but other than that, not sure...

My wife's favorite place to go for GF is Jazz Kitchen. They make a BBQ Shrip&Grits that's amazing! You can tell them to hold the parm cheese.

And just in case anyone's ever there, Great Wolf Lodge has a lot of GF options at their restaurants inside.

Any suggestions for best GF quick serve/snacks, too, let me have them! I'm sure he'll do a skewer at the Bengal BBQ, but other than that, not sure...
I have Celiacs disease and was in the parks Oct 24 through 29. I asked Bengal BBQ if their skewers were GF and they told me they grill the bread on the same grill, so cross contamination was likely.

I am allergic to wheat (so mostly GF) and lactose intolerant (but I eat butter and goat/sheep dairy) - and sometimes finding something that is both GF/DF can get a little tricky.

I ate at Cafe Orleans before the menu changes - about the only thing that worked for me there was the salad, but it was a little disappointing because the left off a lot of toppings for cross contamination. However, on the new menu the Lobster Cobb Salad and the Blacked Fish look promising. https://www.glutenfreedairyfreewdw.com/cafe-orleans-allergy-friendly-lunch-dinner-menu/

It is not a sit down restaurant, but I had really good luck at Rancho de Zocalo for both breakfast and lunch. I also had a great lunch at Storytellers in the Grand Californian Hotel. And if you do decide to splurge on something fancy, I had a wonderful GF/DF meal and great service at Carthay Circle.

I am also GF/DF. I love going to Disneyland for so many reasons, but one is that it is so easy to eat there! The GF/DF pizza at Pizza Port is great. I also really like the burgers and fries at Smokejumpers and Hungry Bear. I never get any of those at home! The pulled pork sandwich/burger at Trader Sam's (at DLH) is very good too. Fruit at the various carts is safe of course. But the biggest treat is frozen lemonade! I've heard the popcorn from carts is also safe but I've never tried it. I've also had a great sandwich at Jolly Holiday. I had heard Bengal Bbq was safe but when I talked to them the cross-contamination risk was too high.

Lucky Fortune Cookery does an excellent GF Teriyaki Bowl. And the Tomato Bisque with GF grilled cheese sammie at Jolly Holiday is delicious.

They do GF burgers and fries at both Smokejumpers and Hungry Bear. The burgers are great because they're cooked to order separately so they're always fresh and juicy. The BBQ pork sammie at River Belle is delicious and big enough for two.

The higher end 'sit down' places like Blue Bayou, Napa Rose, Wine Country Trattoria are really good at GF. If there isn't anything on the menu that is acceptable, the chefs will prepare something for you based on what they have in the kitchen. I've had some delicious 'off the menu' meals.

Bengal BBQ is a no no. So are all of the treats you'll see in the bakery cases, even the ones that would 'read' GF, like macaroons, rice crispy treats, and Tigger tails. This is because they are 'dipped' in a common pot with cookies and cake pops. The popcorn is OK, as is the prepackaged English toffee and peanut brittle. Although those two probably aren't DF, are they?

Thanks, that is perfect!! (They do seem to be updated) He is probably celiac (we've never had it diagnosed, but he's been GF for almost 6 years, and often reacts to cross contamination or -something-) but is DF mostly because it doesn't agree with him. There's no obvious allergy. So gluten is most important!

Just about any restaurant will have some sort of GF option. My wife is celiac, and she eats like a princess when in Disney. I downloaded an app called Gluten Free Disney Dining, and we have used it many, many times.

When you are speaking to the waiter/waitress, tell them it is an allergy, and they will usually get you the correct menu, or the chef will come out and speak with you.

Our favourites....

Carnation Cafe - Pancakes, Waffles, All American Breakfast.
Plaza Inn - just about anything can be adjusted for a GF diet. The breakfast buffet is OUTSTANDING for GF dining. Watch the bacon, as they use bread under the bacon to sop up the grease (just ask for fresh made)
Jolly Holiday - Sandwiches!!!!and they are great
Bengal BBQ - Beef skewer (sauce is Not GF), Bacon wrapped Asparagus
Rancho del Zocalo - Tacos (trio is GF), Grilled Chicken, Chili Verde

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter