• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Restrooms for families?

Rodrigo

Epcot Mexico
My wife and kids (5yo DD and 3yo DS) will spend some time without me in Downtown Disney. Will they be able to find family restrooms they can use without bothering someone with a boy in the ladies room?

Maybe my 3yo DS is not a major problem, but what if for example DS were 6yo?

Would you send him to the mans room for himself, or ask him to wait outside while the girls are in the ladies room?

How do you handle this?

There are some family restrooms throughout the parks, can't say for sure if there are any in DTD. But, in my opinion, I have no issue at all with a woman bringing a boy into the ladies room. In this day and age there is no way I would send a little one into a restroom alone.

I only have daughters, but my sister in law has 4 boys and I don't think they went into a restroom on their own until they were 8- ish. Even now, the youngest is 10 and she makes sure he goes in with one of his older brothers.

I believe that there is a family restroom across from the Christmas store and by the bookstore. I really do think that is what is there. However, if you do have to have them go into the restroom with your wife, I wouldn't feel badly. It doesn't bother me in the least.

I would not worry at all for another 4 or 5 years! Little boys go with their moms to the restroom all the time and I can't imagine anyone having a problem with that. Your children's safety is first and most important. I think the first time my DS went to the restroom at WDW alone he was 8. DH was along most of the time so it had not been an issue before. I asked a "dad looking " guy comming out if there was more that one way out of that bathroom(there are some of them) and then waited right outside. I felt fine with that but did not like leaving him outside while I went. Disney Magic came though as there was another mom in exactly the same situation. We stood the boys together and hurried. I finished first and waited with both boys while she finished. Sad to say today we have to be so careful. My DS is 10 and I still stand close by in case there is a problem. A 10 year old was molested in a Wal-mart bathroom in our state this Winter. I tell DS if he ever feels in danger to just holler out. In truth I feel much more comfortable at WDW than I do a lot of other public place.

I think it's harder with girls and dads. While many dads feel more comfortable letting girls go alone, i have ran into many little girls scared and unable to care for themselves in women's restrooms while dads are waiting outside. When my niece was little and often alone with my DH. He would carry her and tell her to close her eyes and then he would run in the stall with her. Bet that was a sight!!!

Don't let this worry you at all. Go and have a blast.

Jordan's mom

I wanted to chime in with an "I agree" Take him in with you. I trust WDW more than anywhere else in the world, but my 10yo still isn't allowed to go into a restroom by herself with me. My dh will let her go in alone as long as he stands outside and if she isn't out in 5 minutes he asks someone to go in and check on her.

:earsgirl:

There is a family bathroom right next door to the new toy store. We were just there in Nov. It's sandwiched between the men's and women's bathrooms.

DS 8 is "so not going into the girls bathroom"...his words exactly. I just make sure and stand right by the door. Unfortunate things happen and that's a shame. It's hard to let them grow up sometimes. But other than a teenage boy hanging out in the ladies room....I say bring the little guys in for as long as they'll let you.

I always make my 7yo DS come into the ladies bathroom with me. This year he started to make a fuss, but this is non negotiable.

I agree, taking a boy into the ladies room is absolutely fine. I saw boys of various ages in the ladies restrooms at Disney, nobody appeared to even notice. On the flip side DH at first felt strange bringing DD(3yrs) into the mens room, but when he realized there wasn't any other option, he became more comfortable.
I'm not really sure at what age I would be comfortable sending a child alone into a public restroom, I think it's entirely up to the parent. When in doubt go with them!
Enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter