Retire to Orlando?

Well, for one, it's much slower paced. That might be a result due to another reason, which is the diversity. They always called New York the "melting pot" but Orlando and central Florida in general has become just that. So you deal with different lifestyle paces coming together in one location.

Much of the housing is deed restricted. Then again, that's becoming more and more the norm these days. That includes HOA and such. You practically don't own your house, even though you might have paid for yours. I don't believe there is anyplace where you can BUY an apartment like you can up north.

Renting is a great option if you're at most starting a family. Established families might have trouble living in a closed off space. A townhome can be a better option as you wouldn't have to worry too much about yard maintenance or painting your house. Whether you go for a house or townhome, expect HOA fees, but less maintenance to deal with in a townhome. Than again, it could also depend on the townhome development.

Thanks MetalMasterC.

So is the difference between communities due to the differences in what is included in the HOA fees? I see posts where people say they are moving because they don't like their community or like another community better, yet they stay in the same town or area. What kind of things make one community different than the next?

So is the difference between communities due to the differences in what is included in the HOA fees? I see posts where people say they are moving because they don't like their community or like another community better, yet they stay in the same town or area. What kind of things make one community different than the next?

It all depends on the community. When you go to purchase a house, see if you can find out the kind of HOA is in the area. Literally introduce yourself to a couple of houses in the neighborhood and ask around. That might be tough if you either have anxiety or the general neighborhood isn't keen on strangers, but it's a great way to know for sure what kind of community it is.

You'd basically have to do more research than just finding the right house.

HOA's are pretty much everywhere in the area. Be sure you read the HOA documents before deciding on a home. Know what you are getting, how much it costs, and what you can/can't do to your home.

We're from Texas, and we're moving in a few months. Not quite Orlando, but in Ocala. We have friends there, and that's how we found it - maybe farther from Orlando than you want, but there's a community there called On Top of the World. Not like the Stepford-ish Villages, and VERY gay friendly. In fact our new neighbors are gay. It's a 55-up community and the HOAs are high, but they do everything -all yard work, painting every 7 years, etc, etc. We have a pool now, but the HOAs give you access to several pools, fitness center, and everything you can think of. It's like being a member of a country club with access to 3 golf courses.

Home insurance, although it's a SFD, is only condo insurance (because the HOA owns the exterior) and utilities are WAY less than what we pay here.

So in the end, the higher HOAs are much less than what we're paying in Houston every month anyway.

We stayed with our friends for a few weeks last year and introduced ourselves as a married couple that was thinking of moving there and no one cared. We even went to the Publix and said things like "Let me see what my wife would like" to people like the deli guy, butcher, etc. Very different that what we experience here. Bonus - we're getting away from Ted Cruz, Greg Abbott, and Dan Patrick. We can't wait. And yes, it does seem like a much slower pace. Houston is exploding and I'm actually looking forward to a slower pace.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!