Retro Disney Transportation Flags

Lizgistix

resorts fan
For some crazy nostalgia reason, I'm really fond of the old Disney transportation system when buses used to have colored flags to denote their destinations and when you needed a handy dandy Transportation Guide to decipher what each flag meant. As luck would have it, I found a transportation guide from 1991 on Ebay and armed with that information, I headed to Michael's to create felt versions of these flags.

I found some black felt adhesive letters and some foam sports balls cut outs that I realized if I flip the white ones over, they're the perfect size for the adhesive letters and the flags. Well. One package of letters didn't supply me with nearly enough MKs, ECs, STs, or Vs. Plus, a few flags require 3 letters! So I made what I could with what I had and also had to match them up with flag colors so at least they're accurate to the guide I was referencing.

With that in mind, please enjoy a few examples of my crafty handiwork.
The first picture of 3 flags are the Wilderness Resort internal bus system flags, which will be displayed individually since that's 3 separate buses.
They're not perfect (by any means), but I'm really happy with how they turned out and look forward to making the rest of them. :)
Oh! The V is for the Disney Shopping Village (now Disney Springs)

I see there hasn't been any excitement about this so I'll just toot my own horn since I can. :upsidedow

I finally finished making all the flags/pennants from the 1991 Transportation Guide. 30 flags/pennants in total. Involved numerous trips to Michael's for felt, foam sports balls shapes (for the white circles) and way too many packages of adhesive felt letters. Fun tip: each bag only had one K, so in the end I used 3 I's to make one last K that I needed for an MK flag.

Now my next task is to figure out how to hang/display them. I bought a bag of multi-size clothespins and I'm thinking twine and clipping the flags onto it that way.

...but 30 flags is a lot of wall space, in a room already over-decorated with Disney art of pictures. :scared:
I'm pleased with how they turned out, even if it's just a me-thing and everyone else in the family thinks I'm an obsessive weirdo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!