Returned today from BWV

ReneeQ

DIS Veteran
And I'm so depressed to be home. I just hate it when the trip is over! But we had a great trip!

We were last home in Oct. and that time we had a 1BR boardwalk view. I was prepared to be "let down" this time because we had a standard view studio. Well, it's true what everyone says, it's hard to go from a 1BR to a studio, but it can be done. The studio was beautiful! We were in room 4071, TWO DOORS from the elevator overlooking the front entrance. Great location and the room was in perfect condition. I had made this reservation 10 months in advance and had requested non-smoking, top floor, near elevator. I got all requests.

We used the walkway last night from MGM to the BW. I did not want to do it, my legs were killing me, but my husband was dying to see how long it really took. We had taken the boat to MGM that morning and the driver had said it was a 12 minute walk from the front gate of MGM to the main pool at the BW. Well, I was dragging and walking SLOW, and it took us about 17 minutes from the front gate to the pool. Not bad at all.

There were NO crowds. This is the emptiest I had EVER seen WDW and this was my 17th trip in 10 years. Even the MK was not crowded. Most everything was only a 10 minute wait. We walked right up to the loading area on Splash Mtn and Space Mtn. in the middle of the afternoon on Tuesday. The longest wait we had was Test Track in the middle of the day at 15 minutes. It was wonderful. Most things you just walked right on. We had one 10 minute wait for a bus, but most of the time a bus was waiting for us.

The strangest thing I noticed was the use of so many cell phones. A woman answered her ringing phone on the safari ride in the AK and said "oh, we're riding the safari, what are you doing?" As we were getting off of Test Track the guy behind us called someone on his cell phone and said, "there is no wait, get over to Test Track and quit being a wimp!" I guess they were using their phones instead of the two-way radios, but it still seemed strange!

We had a GREAT trip! I'd be happy to answer any questions, if I can.

I am jealous I can not get off work in January and early Feb - working on annual statments - oh well I can share your trip - it sounded wonderful.

We were in your room last March! I had a two bedroom standard view, and it was 4069 and 4071. I had requested non-smoking, close to the elevator. You are right - it was perfect! Glad you had such a great time. I was down in mid-January at OKW, but I had to cancel my March spring break trip at BW. Boo Hoo!

Were you able to see illuminations from these rooms? We stayed in 1109 and 1111 last time we were at the BWV and had fabulous view of the fireworks... I was wondering what I should request since we are booking our trip for next January.

Lisa

"You employ stone, wood, and concrete, and with these materials you build house and palaces. That is construction. Ingenuity is at work. But suddenly, you touch my heart, you do me good. I am happy and I say 'This is beautiful.' That is architecture. Art enters in."
-Le Corbusier

hi: glad you had a good trip. thanks for alleviating my worries over a standard view room- i have a 1br std.view booked for the beginning of may and have requested non-smoking/top floor. we've only been able to get preferred view before this time.

Lisa, no, we couldn't see Illuminations from the balcony. We could hear the noise, but only saw the very top of maybe two of the fireworks. One night we did eat dinner outside at the Brewery on the Boardwalk at 8:30 and saw the fireworks from there. If you get a table outside all the way to the end towards Epcot, the Boardwalk "buildings" that house the games aren't really in your way. We were on the fourth floor, don't know if the fifth floor would have been better as far as seeing Illuminations. If you get a high floor standard view room at the end closer to the tennis courts it looks like you would have been able to see Illuminations from the balcony.

One other thing I forgot to mention - since we had the studio, which doesn't have the washer and dryer, one night I decided to do laundry in the laundry room. It was very nice. There are two regular washers and one double size washer. I used the two regular washers. I put the clothes in and left and returned in exactly 25 minutes and they were done. The washers are free, you just close the lids and they start. You will need detergent, which is for sale. I brought mine from home in ziplock bags.

There are six dryers. It took nearly an hour for my clothes to dry. They are also free, but you have to push the little quarter holder thing in to get them to start, even though you don't put quarters in it. So if you want to leave your clothes running, that gives an idea of how long you can leave them before returning.

I ran into a few other people in there and we just chatted and folded clothes. Very nice. I did find it odd that there were only 3 washers and 6 dryers. I often wash things that I hang up to dry, so it seems there should be more washers than dryers. I didn't have to wait on a washer, as someone was finishing when I came in, and right when I finished, someone else came in, but I can see where you might have to wait in peak season.

About the washers and dryers...its common practice in a laundromat setting for some people to split their loads so they dry faster (often using up all the dryers...which is frustrating if you're the one left waiting for a dryer!) Also...dryers take longer than washers...I often wish I had 2 dryers at home because the washer is always done long before my last load is dry.

Glad to hear about your trip...sounds like it was wonderful! We're going next year at the same time.

Lesley

1979 Contemporary
1992 Off-site
1994 Carribean Beach
1999 Fort Wilderness and Coronado Springs
2000 Polynesian and Old Key West
2002 Boardwalk Villas

You said it was not crowded which is great, but what about the weather? How cold? Ever warm?

We went in December and it was warm, then very cold, then warm again...

Thanks. :)

The weather was fantastic! One day it hit 80, but it was mostly around 70-75 during the day. Nights were about 60, we never even needed a windbreaker, only T-shirts. Couldn't have asked for it to be better.

I can see why you're depressed to be back! Sounds like everything worked out great. Thanks for all the information!
sue

I also just returned from BWV on Sat 2/3. This was my first trip using my DVC membership that I purchased last year. I had the most awesome trip. The Boardwalk was fabulous. I swear I could spend a week there alone without ever going into a park.

I had requested a boardwalk view but was pleasently suprized with my room 4044 (studio). I had a perfect view of Luna Pool looking directly at the clown, on the 4th floor and near the elevators. It was a fantastic view!

One of my son's favorite things on the whole trip was the Harbor Club. Although expensive ($8 per hour), they fed him and he had all the free video games he could play. My favorite place to go was at Jellyrolls. We went there three nights and even left pleasure island one night to go back there.

Where are the washers located? I didn't see them, but didn't really need them either. Another question I have is if the fitness center is free for both DVC members and there guests. Several times a day I meant to stop in and ask but I just never did. Also, is there an extra charge for tanning beds?

The last day we were there I walked over to community hall to check it out. They have all kinds of kid programs there, fishing excursions, unbirthday party, all kinds of scheduled arts and crafts, free video games, free movie rental, in addition to many other things. Has anyone ever done any of these? We just didn't have the time this trip.

Last year I bought AP's and were in the parks 17 days. Since I felt I had already got my moneys worth, I was much more laid back on this trip. We still did the parks another 7 days (getting 24 days out of my park passes) but I slept in more and didn't feel so rushed to do everything. Most rides were a walk on, with the longest wait 5 to 10 min.

I had so much fun that I booked again in December. Until then...

I know what you mean GB, just can't get enough of the place! We walked to Community Hall, too, and I was really impressed. We never made it down there on our last trip.

I'm not sure about the fees for the gym. I think it's free to members and their guests, but we never used it. Who had the energy? The laundry room is right near the gym. If you use the elevator that comes out right at the gym, when you come off the elevator turn right, then right again. (It's the only way you can go). It's the first or second door (I can't remember) on your left. There is a sign on the door.

is free to DVC members and guests staying with them. My Bil stayed with us for a few days last year and he used the fitness center one day and was not charged a fee.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay! We love the BWV as well. Our children enjoy the community hall. I like it because they are finally old enough to go in the Community Hall while I sit out by the pool and read a book, take in the sun, (and maybe a drink!) It is true that after awhile you find less and less reason to leave BWV. Jellyrolls is great, as well as the excellent food choices. That is why I love BW, because I never feel the need to GO anywhere, and if I do choose to visit a park for any amount of time 2 of the 4 parks are within walking distance. We sometimes go to Epcot, decide during the time we are there to take the monorail to MK, then we usually will come back on the monorail, stop for dinner in Epcot and the fireworks, then walk back to BWV. I love the ease that you can move around, without ever needing to use your car.(Note: I would NOT recommend walking through Epcot just to catch the monorail, this is not a short walk, it's just nice if you are there anyway, and want to split you day between the two parks.)
I love to read the reports, we go "home" in 10 days ( staying for 9) and I can't wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter