Returning a car late with Alamo

katallo

DIS Veteran
Question for anyone who has returned a car late with Alamo. Our flight had to be moved slightly later on SW due to the MAX 8 issues. Our Alamo car rental has increased significantly if we try to rebook. I checked the Alamo website and I'm not sure if I understand this correctly. Our pickup time will be 1:30pm, returning two weeks later at 8:00am. We would like to extend that to 9:00 or 9:30 am.

This is from Alamo: There is generally a 29 minute grace period for daily rentals. If the vehicle is returned within 2 hours of the time it was rented on a subsequent day additional hourly charges will apply. If you return the vehicle 2 hours or more from the time it was rented on a subsequent day, you will be charged for an additional day of rental.

Does this mean we would have to pay 1 or 1.5 hours of extra time only? We just don't want it to jump to this new price which is almost 250.00 higher. Thanks

Question for anyone who has returned a car late with Alamo. Our flight had to be moved slightly later on SW due to the MAX 8 issues. Our Alamo car rental has increased significantly if we try to rebook. I checked the Alamo website and I'm not sure if I understand this correctly. Our pickup time will be 1:30pm, returning two weeks later at 8:00am. We would like to extend that to 9:00 or 9:30 am.

This is from Alamo: There is generally a 29 minute grace period for daily rentals. If the vehicle is returned within 2 hours of the time it was rented on a subsequent day additional hourly charges will apply. If you return the vehicle 2 hours or more from the time it was rented on a subsequent day, you will be charged for an additional day of rental.

Does this mean we would have to pay 1 or 1.5 hours of extra time only? We just don't want it to jump to this new price which is almost 250.00 higher. Thanks
That's the way I read it. But I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night. :)

I believe there will be no additional charges for the extra hour.

The clock starts when you leave the garage with the car. If you leave the garage at 1:30 then you are in week 1 / day 1 of your rental until 1:30 the following day at which time you will be starting day 2. You probably have a 1 week rental rate plus 7 days ( because you’re dropping off before 1:30). The last day rate would be good until 1:30 of your departure date. At 1:30 that day you would start an additional hour then another day after 3:30 (ignoring grace period).

Thanks. I am hoping that is the way it will work. Because of the high rate change I am not going to try to modify the reservation for fear of losing it. Hopefully, SW is finished with the Max 8 adjustments.

One think to do it do a mock booking using your new times of a 1:30P pick up and an your original drop off time of 8a and see what the price is. Then do a second mock booking of the same pick up time of 1:30p and a drop off of say 1:00p and see what that price is. My feeling is you will find the same price.

Just recently I booked a rental at LAX from a Friday at 1130a through a different car company. I checked the price for dropping off both at 730p on a Tuesday and 4a on a Wed as we were staying at the airport that night.

Also keep checking back from times to time as car rental prices change constantly and you may get a lower rate. Originally for my LAX rental I had a rate of $750 for Aug 16 to the 28th and it was cheapest so I grabbed it. A few weeks later I checked again and it had gone down to $450 so I snagged that and cancelled the original.

I tried but it is a significant price difference. Largest one I have ever seen. We are booked at 496.00. Today, 794.00. I'm really afraid to touch the reservation at all. Will probably just go to the airport early or pay (hoprfully) an hour or two of a late fee. The Max 8 changes are really messed things up.

because you’re dropping off before 1:30). The last day rate would be good until 1:30 of your departure date. At 1:30 that day you would start an additional hour then another day after 3:30 (ignoring grace period
Maybe. Or maybe the rental company has that car class (or even that exact vehicle, depending on the company*) reserved for 9 AM.

Now, things should work the way the OP expects. Probably they will just get the late charge.

If anybody is going to call, get and call the location phone number, not the reservations number.

I believe there will be no additional charges for the extra hour.

The clock starts when you leave the garage with the car. If you leave the garage at 1:30 then you are in week 1 / day 1 of your rental until 1:30 the following day at which time you will be starting day 2. You probably have a 1 week rental rate plus 7 days ( because you’re dropping off before 1:30). The last day rate would be good until 1:30 of your departure date. At 1:30 that day you would start an additional hour then another day after 3:30 (ignoring grace period).
This is consistent with my experience with Alamo and National rentals. They are charged in 24-hour blocks, 29-minute grace period at the end of the 24-hour block, and then charged hourly for the first two hours of rental time before another full day is charged. I’ve run into both grace period and additional hourly charges but never an extra day charge.

Thanks everyone. Price increased again this morning so I think we will call the location at mco a few days prior to returning the car and ask about returning an hour or two late OR just return at 29 minute grace period and people watch at the airport. We will be well within the 24 hour block so I'm crossing my fingers.

So your picking the car up at 130p. As long as you return the car on it's due date by 130p, you won't be charged extra. The extra kicks in after the 130p mark because then it starts another 24 hour period. Hope that helps!

So your picking the car up at 130p. As long as you return the car on it's due date by 130p, you won't be charged extra. The extra kicks in after the 130p mark because then it starts another 24 hour period. Hope that helps!
I agree with this.

I called them last year, I had to switch flights last minute, I was feeling really sick. It was the day of the return. They said no charge, and I returned it hours late. I was lucky.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter