Reusable Straws

A boy in our town had a metal straw accident! I love the resusable silicone straws. But honestly I just don't like the way metal feels in my mouth or I would probably use those, as well.
I took a silicone straw and cut off the ends and attached to my metal straw. This way it doesn't make a noise in my metal cup and it is a joy to have in my mouth. The metal ones are super easy to clean and I don't drink when I walk, so I don't think I'll sustain any injuries.

You can get sugar cane straws which are supposedly more hearty and hold up better. Another option is just get a 2nd straw when getting a drink to replace.

Supposedly the people who have tried it like the newer sugar cane ones quite a bit. Also even though its in the name supposedly its not adding any sugar to what you drink (at least when I did a search since I was interested).

I use metal straws at home also... I had plastic ones but they tended to warp in the dishwasher. The metal ones are easier to clean as well, the little brushes they come with do a great job.

I take an insulated cup (tervis) when traveling. I like the silicone straw because I just fold it in half and store it in the cup when empty! I plan to use on ship--my understanding is they will hand you multiple paper cups full of drink of choice (seems wasteful, but there you go). I plan to ask for a cup of ice and a cup of drink with no ice to fill my reusable cup.

I've used the metal, silicone and plastic straws and the problem I find with all of them is that I accidentally throw them out with my cup when I'm done. It's always just a matter of time. I've even tried very brightly colored ones. Same problem (operator error).

And I hate paper straws. They're a scourge on society and offend my delicate sensibilities.

I finally just purchased a large package of compostable ones. They're individually wrapped, just like the plastic single use ones. You wouldn't know they're different, but they break down quickly both in soil or in water. Just for funsies I tried to see how long I can hold on one of those... and I throw them away with the same regularity. It seems I cannot be retrained.

Last edited:
Just came across this thread. It may sound nitpicky, but the straws are absolutely terrible on DCL. I didn't make it even half way into one fruity drink without the straw being unusable. There are plenty of biodegradable options that aren't paper and work well. Again, it's a small thing, but it genuinely bothers me. And I really don't want to pack straws on my vacation. I imagine they have some secret stash of plastic straws for the executives, or this would have changed by now :) .

Just came across this thread. It may sound nitpicky, but the straws are absolutely terrible on DCL. I didn't make it even half way into one fruity drink without the straw being unusable. There are plenty of biodegradable options that aren't paper and work well. Again, it's a small thing, but it genuinely bothers me. And I really don't want to pack straws on my vacation. I imagine they have some secret stash of plastic straws for the executives, or this would have changed by now :) .

A few of the waitstaff brought me plastic straws in May on the Magic and said Europeans thought US was crazy for straw issues and not the bigger picture. I went through 3-4 straws per frozen drink. I kept getting air through the straw????? Maybe they were just a bad batch. But then I started to notice my lips, roof of my mouth and throat was getting sore. I realize my wood/tree allergies were taking a turn for the worse because of some new medication I’m on now. If I can’t get a plastic straw I ask for a glass of water and a bigger glass so I can change my drink from frozen to more of a watered down liquid beverage. I’m getting use to drinks that way and then it’s like I get two drinks for the price of one. I also tip a buck for each glass of water on DCL.

Silicone. My friend almost put her eye out with a metal straw. She cut her under eye area really badly when she accidentally poked herself with the straw. You can buy a rubber topper for the metal one if you really like the metal straws. I also find the silicone straws easier ot clean.

While we were on the Dream last week, I taught the CM at Penelope's how to make a cup cake milkshake. It came with a paper straw which did not last very long. Trying to suck up cake and milkshake, We went through 3 each and then ended up finishing with a spoon.

I hope all of you bringing plastic straws pack them in a plastic bag that will blow off your verandah into the ocean. Because that’s special. They have these policies in place for a reason, don’t understand why people have a problem with trying to make things better. At least buy the plant based biodegradable plastic straws.

I bring straws with me everywhere since they're harder to get now. They're made of some kind of plant fiber that feels like plastic but isn't plastic- they're great. Buy them from Amazon and bring them on flights, cruises, etc. It is weird to have to pack straws but they're very light so it's no big deal.

Agree that the paper ones are next to worthless. I wish Disney stocked the ones I use instead of paper. Too expensive for them, probably, given that they're cutting corners all over the place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!