ReVamp Of Figment's Ride at EPCOT!!!

Figgy

PinPics Internal Affairs
This was sent to be by Arlen "KingPin" from WDW. His info is pretty good Long but worth it...

This brings us to next November’s release, Monsters, Inc. This Walt Disney Studios presentation of a Pixar production is testing well in previews. So the Mouse is eager to have its parks (currently caught in a slump) piggyback onto the film’s projected success.
But how? Since the computer-animated fantasy takes moviegoers into the secret world where the monsters who lurk under our beds and inside our closets live, the project offers unique challenges. Recycling concepts that worked with previous Pixar projects (a street pageant such as Disney/MGM’s Toy Story parade; a 3D-movie like Animal Kingdom’s "Bug" show) wouldn’t work here. The creepy-cuddly Monsters, Inc. characters required special handling.
Things were going nowhere when the creative team assigned to the project heard that another set of Imagineers also had hit a creative dead end with their latest assignment. This second group had been handed the unenviable task of trying to figure out a way to undo the damage done with the redo of Epcot’s "Journey into Imagination" attraction. The revamped version of this one-time Future World favorite was derided almost from the moment it reopened in October 1999. Virtually every aspect of the redo -- from the shortening of the ride track to the dropping of "The Dreamfinder," the attraction’s host -- had been met with disdain by the public.

As the two teams commiserated -- presto! -- the idea for a new family-friendly attraction was hatched.
It appears things will play out like this: The renamed "Journey into Your Imagination" will close in late August or early September. And at the Oct. 1 event kicking off Disney World’s "100 Years of Magic" festivities celebrating Walt’s 100th birthday, Mickey will announce plans for Epcot’s "'Monsters, Inc.'" Department of Laughter & Power" ride.
The concept behind the attraction (as well as the "Monsters, Inc." film) is that monsters come nightly into this world to collect the screams of small children. (Screams, as it turns out, are the chief energy source of Monstropolis, the monsters’ home world.) During the course of the movie, these gruesome but well-meaning creatures learn that children’s laughter is an even bigger energy source than screams.
This brings us to the theme for the latest "Imagination" revamp. Guests will line up to enter the Department of Laughter & Power, an energy-collection station. As folks roll along the ride track, they’ll see all sorts of monsters doing kooky, crazy things -- all with the hope it will make kids laugh to provide enough power to keep the lights back at Monstropolis burning bright.

It sounds both cute and creepy -- which, if you think about it, is similar to the original "Journey into Imagination."
However, in order to make the new show fit into a nearly 20-year-old building, change is in order. Chief among these is that the ride track will be shortened yet again and the attraction’s current seven scenes reduced to just five.
The upside: Figment will be back in a big way. The little pink dragon -- a star of the original "Imagination" who was reduced to two brief cameos in the redo -- apparently is a major figure in the "Monsters" makeover. What makes this possible is that -- with his horns, wings and purple-spotted tail -- Figment always looked somewhat monstrous. Which means he’ll fit in just fine with the rest of the cast.
Expect this revamped Epcot attraction to open in spring 2002, just about the time Disney will be looking for an attendance bump to fill out the second half of the resort’s 15-month-long "100 Years of Magic" celebration.
:p

Along with many others I will assume......I really dislike what dis did with that ride. Major boo boo in our families book. We loved figment and shall be glad to see him return to Epcot in a big way....

Cool... I wonder if they will have a new Figment pin???

I didn't know women could be color blind. I always thought figment was purple. Wish they had asked us years ago. We could have save them several million $. I don't know of anyone who came off that ride crying, because the big bad Figment was so scary. (???!!!???) Se la vie

We csahll see what we shall see. Thanks Miss Figgy

Kathryn------Figment IS Purple. More men are colorblind........most women are not. Pink/purple......it's all the same to them. :p

As far as bringing Figment back......I'm all for it. That was my daughter's and my favorite ride. and I don't do many rides. But, I'll believe it when I see it. :rolleyes:

Thank you Figgy for the heads up!!

Any way they can bring Figment back so we see him more than, what is it now, 4 times in the ride queue + the attraction, is WONDERFUL to me. It always strikes me as curious that they continue to merchandise Figment, and they all but pulled him completely out of the attraction. If they really do this, I will be one happy camper!!!

Still...the more I think about it, I don't really embrace the idea of Epcot hyping a movie inside one of its attractions...that hasn't been done before inside any Epcot attraction, has it? Well, besides the music accompanying the fountain that comes from movies like The Rocketeer. I think of the other parks to be mobiles for movie promotion, but Epcot???

LOL Of course Figment is Purple... All i did was copy what he sent and paste it. The only part i wrote was the single statement at the top... I will have to tease Arlen about the color though... I read through it so fast was just trying to get to the part about him being in the ride and what it would be...

I hope there is a new pin but I will have to get someone to get it for me since I will be in Europe during that time.. Of course i could get lovely Paris DL pins..HEHE

I always wondered if they would listen to the people and they finally have! Can not wait until my hero returns, now i hope to see the Dreamfinder in there too. Thank you so much for this posting - dreams do come true! :bounce::earsboy:

While pin trading last week not only one person but three different people at different times came up and asked WHAT IS THAT??? pointing to Figment. Guess he's been gone longer than we realize.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter