• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

review: hertz vs thrifty

disney funseeker

DIS Veteran
We have rented from Avis, Hertz and now Thrifty.

Hertz and Thrifty are off-site and here is my review.

Hertz was better. Their shuttle service is good. Customer service, good. Cars are good. only downside was that is was still more expensive, even with codes.

Thrifty customer service was very poor. They tried to give us a 2 door intermediate car when we had 2 car seats and 2 young kids to get in the back. Luckily have a very vocal dh, who got us a new mini-van for the same price, since there were no other intermediate cars available. Then they argued with dh, that he needed to get PDW insurance because they were sure his card didn't cover it, although he insisted it did. We called our credit card co. while we were at Thrifty and yes we were covered. So they wanted us to spend almost $100 more. We spent almost 45 very long minutes there.
Thrifty shuttle service is very good though, and the return was very easy and hassle free.

overall impression: we got an excellent deal with Thrifty in the end BUT we would pay more for good, efficient, customer service elsewhere.

We will be using Hertz for the first time this Dec. Could you walk me through how to find the shuttle or if you call for a shuttle? I am weary of going off site but to late now. We used priceline and got a good price but unfortunatly did not get an on site car rental. I would appriciate any tips on finding this place at MCO.

Muffy,

You will not be disappointed with Hertz.

Their shuttle service is very good.

You will find them on the same level as the baggage claim area. If you head toward the courtesy phone area, and look outside you will notice a bunch of lettered and numbered poles. That is where all the car shuttle buses are waiting. You do not have to call Hertz. There are lots of Hertz shuttles that constantly go back and forth. Most likely there will be a bus already waiting for you. You will see them. We saw several while we were waiting for our Thrifty shuttle.

They are about 5 min. away from the airport.

If you sign up to be a Hertz member (I think its called Gold Points) you can get express service. It's free. Check out their web site.

Actually, Hertz is down one level from baggage claim just outside the doors where the other car companies are. I think they are in space 16. I have never had to wait for a bus.

Also, they tell you on the bus just to dump your family and luggage off at their loading area, go get your car and drive around and pick them up. (They have a dedicated area for this!) I have not used that feature since I am a gold member. I don't know if you can have a PL reservation transferred to gold though.

My cars in Orlando have all been clean and fairly new.

oops, CarolA is right.

The shuttle is 1 level below the baggage claim.

Hertz occupies a couple of different spots because we observed 2 Hertz shuttle buses waiting for people when we arrived last week and another coming in as we left on our Thrifty shuttle.

We were not gold members at the time we rented from Hertz and we did the drop family and luggage thing at the designated spot. It worked out well.

Thanks CarolA and Disney Funseeker!

I still have a question. When you say "drop off your luggage and family in dedicated area and pick up your ca"r, is this a gold memeber benifit or is this the "express service club"? I did join the express club last night and should be getting a card with a member number in a few days. Do you know if you can use the express service club line with a priceline rental? Thanks again for all your help!

Don't have a clue what Express Service Club is so I can't help you there. The family drop off is for anyone.

I would call Hertz and see if they can put the express number on your reservation. I don't know if they can do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter