Reviews for The Country Bears...

I can't get anyone to go with me to see this one...

There are more reviews at
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheCountryBears-1114831/

My favorite quote so far:
"Although the film is no better than the attraction, there is a hidden blessing... at least they didn't choose It's A Small World."

and

"Many went to see the attraction for the sole reason that it was hot outside and there was air conditioning inside, and I don’t think that A.C. will help this movie one bit."

From the review over on ‘Ain’t It Cool News’:

“…I don't want to spend any more time with this movie in my head. If you're a parent, I implore you... Take your kids to see Lilo & Stitch again. Support the greatness that Disney can make, not this cr*p. I'm terrified of what Disney's going to be doing with the other Theme Park attractions turned movies that they have in the works. I never gave much of a **** about The Country Bears at Disneyland, but I worshipped The Haunted Mansion and The Pirates of the Caribbean. Those were the attractions that I would get out of and immediately get back in line to experience again. If THE COUNTRY BEARS represents the quality of these projects, I weep in advance for the desecration of these wonderful childhood memories.”

Rumor is that future ride-movies are on hold waiting to see how this one fares. That still won’t stop Disney from dumping $150 million into ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’, but at least it means we won’t have to suffer through the talking cars of ‘Keel Boats! – The Movie’ for a while.

I can't imagine why anyone thought this movie might be good. Even the story line is BAD.
It will be out on DVD/video in no time. Anyone who wants to see it can figure it will be released at Hollywood Videos or Blockbuster in about 3 months. At least at home you can fast forward. ;)

Not everybody though it was bad.

From the Tampa Tribune:

Country Bears Mix Music And Comedy Into Hairy Deli
By Bob Ross

The Country Bears

The idea sounded barely tolerable: a feature film based on a popular Disney attraction about animatronic singing bears.

But cute creatures, bright writing and kicky compositions make "The Country Bears" into ursine enjoyment for all ages.

This live-action musical comedy combines family-friendly plotting, hirsute jocularity and colorful country-rock music into a summer surprise that transcends its inherent silliness.

Adult moviegoers know Haley Joel Osment as the serious kid in "The Sixth Sense," "A.I." and "Pay It Forward." But the 13-year-old star also is an experienced cartoon voice actor, and that background pays off with his performance as the voice of Beary Barrington, the adopted younger son of a loving human family.

Beary feels like an outsider in his own home. He can't help noticing that his parents (Stephen Tobolowsky and Meagen Fay) look different, what with their hairless faces, necks and bodies. So when Beary's brother Dex (Eli Marienthal, best known as Stifler's brother in the "American Pie" movies) shows him some old photos of a cub rescued by rangers, the fuzzy little dude runs away from home to find his true purpose.

Meanwhile, the musical home of the Country Bears … a hit-making band that broke up a decade ago … is about to be demolished by a mean mortgage holder who hates the Bears and loves tearing down buildings. Christopher Walken brings a dandy sneer to the character, whose gleeful taunts lead to an inevitable quest: Beary the runaway becomes the band's eager savior, encouraging the guys, er, bears, to stage a reunion concert and raise enough cash to save Country Bear Hall.

The chase is loaded with jokes, from the obvious (the gang gets drinks at The Honey Bar) to the obscure (Alex Rocco gets to shout a line from his role in "The Godfather").

The music's even better, with eight new tunes from John Hiatt, including one sung by Bonnie Raitt and Don Henley (who make a funny cameo appearance at the bar). Brian Setzer contributes a dynamite duet with Zeb Zoober (Stephen Root) on a rockabilly riot called "I'm Only in It for the Honey."

Let's hope this goes the way of Osmosis Jones, very quick and not painful.

Now how much did disney pay the reviewer for the kind words?????

Rumor is that future ride-movies are on hold waiting to see how this one fares. That still won’t stop Disney from dumping $150 million into ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’, but at least it means we won’t have to suffer through the talking cars of ‘Keel Boats! – The Movie’ for a while.

I was kind of hoping this would happen. How could everyone except Disney know this was a bad idea to begin wtih?

So, do you think they are still going ahead wtih 'Pirates of the Caribbean'?

Animated Movies claims that it's "rumored" that if the Country Bears movie is successful, Disney executives are reportedly toying with the idea of using these very same puppets on a Country Bear Jamboree TV show. In its proposed form, the TV spin-off woul debut in the spring of 2003 and be closely modeled on the original Muppet Show. Each week, a major star would arrive at the Country Bear Playhouse, where they'd appear with the animatronic cast of the Country Bears film in a half hour variety show featuring skits and songs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter