Reviews from our trip, Jan. 1-8

married@wdw

DIS Veteran
Travelling to Florida for 1)Christmas with in-laws, 2) meet friends from home, 3) anniversary vacation trip.

January 1st
O'Hana's -- met in-laws and friends for dinner (12 people total). Meal was great, food was fantastic as has always been the case for us. I know many have said that the meats seem dried out, but everything was very juicy and delicious. I wonder if this has to do with crowds though -- it was very crowded due to the holiday so maybe the turnover of food is higher. Our P.S. was for 8:10 p.m.. We weren't seated until 8:45 p.m. Service was OK -- not the best we've ever had. Our two servers just got their wires crossed so we didn't get turkey for almost an hour and didn't see seconds on shrimp until the end of the meal. Otherwise, everything was great -- and our first view of Wishes was fantastic too. Food: A+, Service: B-

January 2nd
Beaches & Cream -- met friends (4 people total). Best burgers ever! I had butter pecan ice cream with carmamel sauce, DH had strawberry frozen yogurt. Mmmmm! Food: A+, Service: A+

NOTE: We were VERY disapppointed that the sitdown restaurants in the Epcot pavilions didn't open until noon. It was 11 a.m. this past summer and never dreamed it would be any different with the crowds so large, so we all skipped breakfast to do Mission Space, assuming we'd get an early lunch. That's how we ended up at Beaches & Cream.

Victoria & Albert's -- in-laws (4 people total). This was a treat from my in-laws for our anniversary -- and what a treat it was. DH had cold shrimp appetizer, hot scallop appetizer, corn and clam chowder, flounder with lobster sauce, strawberry sorbet, chocolate mousse pyramind. I had corn and crab chowder, cold shrimp appetizer, hot elk appetizer, filet dinner, strawberry sorbet and chocolate souffle.
Food: A+++. Service: A+++.

January 4th
DisneyQuest -- met friends (4 peoples total). We always get the same things here -- DH got a burger and chocolate cheesecake. I got the hot asian chicken wrap and key lime cheesecake. Friends got a burger and the spinach and artichoke dip, and the huge chocolate cake and strawberry cheesecake. All was good, except web access was down, which was a bummer. Food: A. Service: A.

Narcoossee's -- just the two of us. We'd never been here before and absolutely LOVED it! DH had a mudslide and the shrimp and fettucini and the triple chocolate terrine. I had a key lime martini, the butternut squash & crab soup and the lobster and crab cakes with a side of asparagus and the key lime creme brulee. All was delicious, we had a window seat to enjoy Wishes and they didn't charge us for dessert since it was our anniversary (not sure who told them, since it wasn't us!). Food: A+. Service: A++.

NOTE: Narcoossee's Knot was not on the menu.

January 5th
Boardwalk Bakery -- just the two of us. DH had breakfast sandwich, I had the breakfast burrito. Both were good, hot and quick. Food: B. Service: A.

Nine Dragons -- just the two of us. DH had the honey chicken. I had shrimp dumplings and wonton soup. DH also had a frozen smoothie made with banana, pineapple juice and red bean ice cream. Everything was delicious. Food: A. Service: A.

Plaza Restaurant -- just the two of us. DH had a burger. I had the chicken and pear salad. Everything was very good. Food: A. Service: A.

January 6th
Captain Cooks at Polynesian -- just the two of us. DH had a breakfast sandwich, I had a muffin. Nothing spectacular. Food: B. Service: B.

L'Originale Alfredo di Roma -- just the two of us. We were married at the Italy Pavilion so this was a very special meal for us. We'd eaten here twice for dinner and didn't enjoy it, but this late lunch did not disappoint. DH had the spaghetti with meatballs. I had the fried calamari and chicken parmigiana. We shared the dessert sampler. I also tried the Italian Margarita which was very good -- made with Grappa and Lemoncella. Everything was fantastic, though I wouldn't order an appetizer again, unless we were sharing. I left half of my appetizer and half of my dinner behind because I couldn't finish them. Food: A+. Service: A.

January 7th
Beaches & Cream -- just the two of us. We loved it so much, we decided to go back!

Boma -- met mother-in-law (3 people total). Wow! The choices of food were so unique and tasty. We really enjoyed everything, especially the coconut curry chicken stew, the coucous salad and the ribs. Oh yeah, and can't forget the Zebra Domes. This is a new regular stop for us! Our server wasn't the greatest -- she kept taking our silverware when we left the table to get another helping. But we do think she was new. Food: A+. Service: B.

January 8th
Room Service from the Boardwalk -- just the two of us. A nice way to end this portion of our vacation (we were headed to the cruise, which I've already reviewed on the cruise trip report page). DH had pancakes, I had oatmeal and yogurt. All was delicious, especially the oatmeal with raisins, brown sugar and banana. Server forgot the silverware, but we were on the DVC side so we had our own -- just had to wash it afterward. Food: A+. Service: A.

Any questions -- feel free to ask!

Wow....thanks for the great reviews.....I haven't heard much about Nine Dragons recently, I'm glad to hear it was good! I think I have to try Narcoossee's on my upcoming trip. Sounds wonderful.
:sunny:

Thanks for the great reviews, sounds like you had a great time. We ate at Boma's & Narcoosies on our last trip also for the first time and loved them both. We ate at V&A for our 10th Anniversary a few years ago and had the most romantic night ever. Beaches & Cream sounds great, we will have to try it on our next visit.

Thanks for your wonderful reviews! I have always wanted to try Narcoosee's and for some reason or not, haven't had the opportunity. Next trip we'll definitely go.

p.s to Ron from Michigan: Make sure you do try Beaches and Cream on your next trip. YUM!:Pinkbounc

We were at the Plaza restaurant on the same night! We had a 4:15 sitdown time (latest available) but we were there till after 5...and since the last sitting at all was 4:45 that night, I bet we were in there together!

For your well written and informational reviews.I enjoyed reading them.::yes:: ::MickeyMo :wave2: :goodvibes

I really enjoyed your reviews. Especially liked hearing about the burgers at B&C. We always stay at YC and go there daily for ice cream but have never eaten 'real food'. Now, we will try it. Also happy to hear about 9 dragons. Do they use MSG though? Both ds and I have issues with msg.

Very happy too to hear you enjoy Alfredos - it is ALWAYS our 1st or 2nd dining experience every single trip. We love it and have luckily always had great service and food. We were just there Dec 17 and devoured that calamari appetizer - yummy but I do agree with you . . . only share an appetizer if you plan on eating dinner. Our waiter gave our son a free dessert because I was finishing up my wine and he did not want him to feel left out!!!!! He brought him the dessert sampler!!!!! Needless to say that was a pleasant, sweet Disney moment. DS is 12 and loves to eat out so we read all the reviews.

Glad you had such a good time.

MamaQuack

Thanks so much for your post. We eat out a lot when in Disney (figure it's our time to splurge) and I enjoyed reading your reviews. We stayed at the GF 2 yrs ago and ate at Narcoosee's 2 or 3 times.... just LOVED it. The food and ambience were wonderful. We also ate at V&A (to die for, but I always get sleepy and tipsy w/ that wine pairing) and Boma's for breakfast (wonderful juice and we really enjoyed the food and service).

I am staying at the BWV this time and was looking into trying Beaches and Cream and so your review has swayed me to take the DH there for a Hamburger. He'll be so happy.

Time to start deciding where to eat. Thanks again.

Great reviews. V&A and Narcoossee's are favorites of ours, too. That soup is perhaps my daughter's all time favorite soup anywhere!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter