Rhine River Cruise question

mouthdoc

Mouseketeer
We are booked on an October 2021 Food & Wine Rhine river cruise. For those who have done a river cruise with ABD, are the excursions often booked up? I read where you reserve a spot on your first day for each day's excursions. Has anyone been left out of an excursion? Should we be early on the boat? We would like to tour Basel, Switzerland a bit before embarkation, visit a museum or two, have lunch. Thanks so much!

We are booked on an October 2021 Food & Wine Rhine river cruise. For those who have done a river cruise with ABD, are the excursions often booked up? I read where you reserve a spot on your first day for each day's excursions. Has anyone been left out of an excursion? Should we be early on the boat? We would like to tour Basel, Switzerland a bit before embarkation, visit a museum or two, have lunch. Thanks so much!
It depends on the cruise. For the Danube we booked the first day of the cruise at the pre-night hotel, or at the ship. I don't know of anyone who didn't get what they wanted. But I think that's unique to the Danube cruise, because none of the excursions have a limit.

For my Rhone River cruise (that ended up cancelled) we were allowed to book the excursions about 3 months in advance. I got a link to our online Adventure Handbook, and it had the date & time to start booking, as well as detailed descriptions of all of the excursions and which day(s)/time(s) they were available (but not updated as they booked). We had to call ABD to book with a Vacationista. We got everything we wanted, but we booked really early, and our ship was only like half full.

I believe the Rhine and the Seine book this same way now, not the first day of the cruise. That was just too hard & chaotic. I do believe people on the Rhine have missed out on some excursions, because they really only accommodate a very limited number of people, but you know this way before you get to the ship.

I *highly* recommend you arrive at least a day or two ahead of the cruise to get over jetlag and allow for travel difficulties.

Sayhello

It depends on the cruise. For the Danube we booked the first day of the cruise at the pre-night hotel, or at the ship. I don't know of anyone who didn't get what they wanted. But I think that's unique to the Danube cruise, because none of the excursions have a limit.

For my Rhone River cruise (that ended up cancelled) we were allowed to book the excursions about 3 months in advance. I got a link to our online Adventure Handbook, and it had the date & time to start booking, as well as detailed descriptions of all of the excursions and which day(s)/time(s) they were available (but not updated as they booked). We had to call ABD to book with a Vacationista. We got everything we wanted, but we booked really early, and our ship was only like half full.

I believe the Rhine and the Seine book this same way now, not the first day of the cruise. That was just too hard & chaotic. I do believe people on the Rhine have missed out on some excursions, because they really only accommodate a very limited number of people, but you know this way before you get to the ship.

I *highly* recommend you arrive at least a day or two ahead of the cruise to get over jetlag and allow for travel difficulties.

Sayhello
That’s right re the Rhine - I was booked on one for August, got the link with the handbook & excursion info about a week before the date we could start calling AbD to book them. As I recall, returning Adventurers could call to book a week before first time Adventurers. I was very happy about that change in approach. I was able to get what I wanted but I also called in on the afternoon of the first day.

Check out the Tingeley museum in Basel!

We have the Rhine cruise booked for May 2021. Trying to figure out where to fly into. Zurich is about an hour from Basel, though at the moment I'm not sure how I would get between the two. Flying into Basel appears to be too many connections, vs straight to Zurich. Thoughts are appreciated...

---Paul in Southern NJ

From what I remember, we took a train from Basel straight to the airport in Zurich. It was very easy. I'm sure it's just as easy the opposite direction.

From what I remember, we took a train from Basel straight to the airport in Zurich. It was very easy. I'm sure it's just as easy the opposite direction.
I second the train in Zurich to Basel. The train terminal is attached to the airport and every easy to use. You can go and buy your tickets right there at the ticket office. It is very easy to find and well labeled.

We have the Rhine cruise booked for May 2021. Trying to figure out where to fly into. Zurich is about an hour from Basel, though at the moment I'm not sure how I would get between the two. Flying into Basel appears to be too many connections, vs straight to Zurich. Thoughts are appreciated...

---Paul in Southern NJ
Our route was USA to Frankfurt, Frankfurt to Basel. That stinks that you're looking at lots of connections for it/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter