Rhine River Cruise with a child

PackYourPixieDust

Mouseketeer
I was wondering if you had done the ABD Cruise to the Rhine with a child. My son will be a young 7, but is well traveled. Due to a change in some plans, we have an ABD deposit to use up next summer. I could do something else, but really want to do this experience. I just want to see if others have had a positive or negative experience. I am looking for someone with a DIRECT experience on the river cruises, not a perceived thought on it! THANK YOU!

My son was 10 when we did ABD Danube. Also well traveled and will try most foods. He loved it. Lots of kid appropriate activities, guides went out of their way make sure he was entertained and there were a lot of other kids on the cruise. Actually, 7 might have been a better age because some of the kid only adventures on shore excursions were geared towards younger kids. Only word of warning I have is that we did a biking excursion that was stressful for me (he loved it). If considering, I would ask the guide about amount of traffic on the ride and how strenuous it’d be.
Pool was great to have for kids and TV in the cabin had lots of Disney movies. Bring a ball/frisbee because we were often docked near a grassy area and could take him out to run around in the early evenings.

Don't have a kid but I talked to a lot of families with kids during our ABD Danube river cruise and I didn't encounter any that were unhappy with the experience.

My son was 10 when we did ABD Danube. Also well traveled and will try most foods. He loved it. Lots of kid appropriate activities, guides went out of their way make sure he was entertained and there were a lot of other kids on the cruise. Actually, 7 might have been a better age because some of the kid only adventures on shore excursions were geared towards younger kids. Only word of warning I have is that we did a biking excursion that was stressful for me (he loved it). If considering, I would ask the guide about amount of traffic on the ride and how strenuous it’d be.
Pool was great to have for kids and TV in the cabin had lots of Disney movies. Bring a ball/frisbee because we were often docked near a grassy area and could take him out to run around in the early evenings.
This is really helpful! Thank you!

I've been on both the Rhine and Danube (twice!) ABDs. My DD is older but there are always a decent amount of younger (say 6-10 ish) children and one or two of the Adventure Guides will do something with them in certain places, there is always a Junior Adventurers buffet in the lounge with kid friendly food (guilty of indulging myself some nights when I didn't feel like a long sit down dinner), movies some nights, family karaoke one night, and games on the ship. The pool is nice and one afternoon there was an ice cream party on the upper deck.

If you are flexible on dates, you might want to call ABD and see which tour has the most children in your son's age range. It's nice to know that there will be a group of children a certain age if that's important to you!

I am a BIG fan of river cruises and ABD does a great job!

I've been on both the Rhine and Danube (twice!) ABDs. My DD is older but there are always a decent amount of younger (say 6-10 ish) children and one or two of the Adventure Guides will do something with them in certain places, there is always a Junior Adventurers buffet in the lounge with kid friendly food (guilty of indulging myself some nights when I didn't feel like a long sit down dinner), movies some nights, family karaoke one night, and games on the ship. The pool is nice and one afternoon there was an ice cream party on the upper deck.

If you are flexible on dates, you might want to call ABD and see which tour has the most children in your son's age range. It's nice to know that there will be a group of children a certain age if that's important to you!

I am a BIG fan of river cruises and ABD does a great job!

Oh, great idea to call and see the number of kids. :) Our dates aren't too flexible, but the week we'd go would be busy...

I went on the ABD Rhine cruise with my family in 2018, including my 11 year old son. He had a fantastic time. I reported on some of the activities in the following thread:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/notes-on-july-23-2018-rhine-river-cruise.3708961/
Your 7 year old would be one of the youngest kids on the ship, but I do remember a few kids around that age on our trip.
we went last year when my daughters were 6 and 8. we had a great time. there was a bunch of kids there age and they loved it. we like it so much we are doing the Seine this summer. my 6 year old was too small for the bikes but other than that she could do everything she wanted

we went last year when my daughters were 6 and 8. we had a great time. there was a bunch of kids there age and they loved it. we like it so much we are doing the Seine this summer. my 6 year old was too small for the bikes but other than that she could do everything she wanted
Oh great!!! How are you handling the cabins for the Seine?? One adult and one kid in each cabin?? I wish they had connecting cabins on those ships.

yes we had connecting rooms on the Rhine. This year our rooms are next to each other. we will do one adult and one kid in each. if they were a little older I think they would be fine separate. it's such a small ship. but for now we are more comfortable with staying with them.

Wanted to echo thoughts above that I think you'll have a great time. They make sure to have a lot of excursions that will be fun for the kids. I did the Rhine when DD was 10 and we are booked on the Rhone next year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts