Rian Johnson to create all new Star Wars trilogy

I hope they keep going forward. But I wouldn't be opposed to a Knights of the Old Republic setting. That was a rich game. Something like 8 worlds really fleshed out, tons of mythology, whole Sith planets. A myriad of cultures and species. And the Sith and Jedi were just cooler since they were flourishing. Even in the prequels and Clone War cartoons you don't get the feeling the Jedi, let alone the Sith, were at the height of their powers, more just stuck in a long period of stagnation. I kind of want to see them at their best.

or at the very least he did an amazing job of balancing making a movie the true "fanboys" will like, that families will like, that will sell a ton of toys (looking at you Porgs) and was easy enough to work with (unlike all these other directions they have gotten rid of mid-project)

That is indeed very realistic. I suppose it doesn't necessarily have to be a great movie, just something that makes Disney a lot of money. The most confusing thing is what will they do with Rey, Kylo, Finn etc. Can we guess that they will close their stories out with the current trilogy? Or will they continue Rey's since she may not be a "Skywalker".

Is this going to eventually be "force" (no pun intended) feeding us Star Wars movies until we are sick of them? Is my count right in now there are 8 more Star Wars universe movies to be released?

Is this going to eventually be "force" (no pun intended) feeding us Star Wars movies until we are sick of them? Is my count right in now there are 8 more Star Wars universe movies to be released?

Yes. I imagine you'll get 1 a year for quite a while. It's pretty much an infinite amount of stories to be told and I imagine it will go strong for quite a while.

That is indeed very realistic. I suppose it doesn't necessarily have to be a great movie, just something that makes Disney a lot of money. The most confusing thing is what will they do with Rey, Kylo, Finn etc. Can we guess that they will close their stories out with the current trilogy? Or will they continue Rey's since she may not be a "Skywalker".

I remember Kathleen Kennedy in one interview saying their could be more movies post this last trilogy - but that it wouldn't continue the Skywalker storyline - which I took to mean it could include Finn, Poe, etc. (assuming they survive) but not Luke, etc. .... but maybe she meant more this separate trilogy or they changed gears a bit

Depending on how things wind up I am sure they could at least do a one-off movie that focuses on one character or something introduced in this current trilogy

They've got stories mapped out for the next 10 years past episode 9

I don't really know if it's forcing SW movies at us. If people get tired of the movies they can simply stop watching. I mean, yes, there will be lots of commercials and stuff but that is nothing new. I see plenty of commercials for things I have no interest in, I just mute them or don't pay attention.

The only thing I'm wondering about is if they can go way back into the past of SW and still keep the look, so to say. If you make TIEs and Xwings appear in SW a thousand years ago, all of us mega fans are going to be like ***, technology hasn't really gone forward in a thousand years? Yet then you run the risk of having nothing familiar. If they do go away from Skywalkers and Solos I think they will have to go Jedi heavy in this new trilogy, so we can have that lightsaber connection.

This is a familiar refrain...but this seems like more boardroom decrees to beat the living p!ss out of the name to make up for other problems...if it quacks and waddles, you know?

One month to see this new "masterpiece"...will Judge more then. Force awakens is not a good movie...definitely not a very good Star Wars...if that's the bar then the real "saga"...failure to make movies that have any semblance of heart since 1983...may continue forever.

Mark hamill is the backstop...always has been...the "once and future king"

The general public has a much higher opinion of Force Awakens than you do. Other than a handful of people on DIS I've never heard anyone say it wasn't a fantastic movie. Everyone in my family, my friends, and co-workers all thought it was a great movie. It is rated 8.1 on IMDB. Very few movie stay over 8 when they've been out a couple years.

Having said that Rogue One was a step up. How amazing Rogue One was, has really increased my anticipation/expectations for how good The Last Jedi is going to be.

Regardless of our opinions of TFA, we both agree on Rogue One and I think it has raised your hope as well for The Last Jedi.

Fingers crossed!

The general public has a much higher opinion of Force Awakens than you do. Other than a handful of people on DIS I've never heard anyone say it wasn't a fantastic movie. Everyone in my family, my friends, and co-workers all thought it was a great movie. It is rated 8.1 on IMDB. Very few movie stay over 8 when they've been out a couple years.

Having said that Rogue One was a step up. How amazing Rogue One was, has really increased my anticipation/expectations for how good The Last Jedi is going to be.

Regardless of our opinions of TFA, we both agree on Rogue One and I think it has raised your hope as well for The Last Jedi.

Fingers crossed!
I don’t know if I’d say TFA was fantastic, but i enjoyed it. The plot rehash absolutely bothered me, but it was a well made film, especially when compared to the prequels, in all the production facets.

Rogue one on the other hand I thought was fantastic

I'm curious to see just how new it is. Basically would he be writing new canon? Fitting stuff in so it lines up with old storylines will interesting.

I read this more as a business move than a creative one. Lock Rian down before the movie releases and his price goes up (assuming it's as good as rumors suggest). If there's a stumble later? Well, Disney can always find creative differences and part ways.

The timing is interesting - still a month out from the premiere of Episode VIII and Disney whips up a frenzy about a new trilogy that won't drop for about another 4 years or so. Development and production will take time, but why publicly announce it now? If I were cynical, I just might think there was a connection to yesterday's lackluster quarterly that didn't meet estimates and assuring shareholders that Disney's got the future under control.

I'm very curious about this "blank slate". Disney isn't much into taking creative risks - but very good at repackaging and reselling the same properties over and over (take a look at Pixar's output since Disney took control - the vast majority of releases are sequels to pre-acquisition films - or consider that Disney's current focus on its in-house brands is doing live action versions of its animated classics). If I had to bet, I'd wager that what ends up on that blank slate still looks an awful lot like what came before (whether that's good or bad is a separate question).

Last edited:
Even though it is said to not be related to the Skywalkers, I am almost certain in some way whether direct or subtle these movies will all tie in to each other. It is inevitable is the SWCU.(Star Wars Cinematic Universe. Came up with it myself :yay::yoda:)

Fingers crossed!

You know what they say about opinions? Everybody's got one...like other things.

Here's the sad truth: some people don't have good opinions.

The farce awakens looked good...spared no expense and it was shot well. But it had little story...too much service to disney trying to reboot "safe" and a cranky bastard of an old actor getting paid.

The one quality that has been astounding about Star Wars is that it can be rewatched a near unlimited amount of times. Great movies are like that: you sit and watch 45 minutes anytime it's on...The Godfather comes to mind...wizard of oz...the shawshank redemption...

The OG trilogy is like that. Hard to not watch.

Try watching the force awakens. Legacy movies aren't just about box office...history has proven again and again.

Don't believe me...try it. It's like convincing yourself the earth is flat.

The thing about rogue one is that disney seems to have treated it kinda like the little sister...released it to Netflix in no time...really didn't promote it much at all...

Edwards did an amazing job in a box...I think...and then they brought in Bourne supremacitymatum to soften it...

The speeches were bad...the daddy issues thing forced...but it fit well otherwise. It was the fifth film since jedi...and the only scene that hit the pit of your stomach was the Death Star shot and the always awesome squid "may the force be with you" line

How hard is that?!?!?

Abrams didn't even try...

George tried with the scenes with the babies...but dogged obiwan with some cgi camel...

Couldn't have gotten a real camel for an hour and put a horn
On it, huh? Conan the destroyer looked more pro...

...ah jeez...never mind...I need a drink.

Last edited:
I read this more as a business move than a creative one. Lock Rian down before the movie releases and his price goes up (assuming it's as good as rumors suggest). If there's a stumble later? Well, Disney can always find creative differences and part ways.

The timing is interesting - still a month out from the premiere of Episode VIII and Disney whips up a frenzy about a new trilogy that won't drop for about another 4 years or so. Development and production will take time, but why publicly announce it now? If I were cynical, I just might think there was a connection to yesterday's lackluster quarterly that didn't meet estimates and assuring shareholders that Disney's got the future under control.

I'm very curious about this "blank slate". Disney isn't much into taking creative risks - but very good at repackaging and reselling the same properties over and over (take a look at Pixar's output since Disney took control - the vast majority of releases are sequels to pre-acquisition films - or consider that Disney's current focus on its in-house brands is doing live action versions of its animated classics). If I had to bet, I'd wager that what ends up on that blank slate still looks an awful lot like what came before (whether that's good or bad is a separate question).

Valid points...

But it's got to be more than a box office receipt.

It's gotta be great...not just 3 months of box office.

I said the most ridiculous thing I ever saw might have been JJ abrams presenting the best director Oscar in 2016...almost like Disney complaining to the academy...

For...what? "Best directing of an original reboot of a disco era movie"?

...watching this very closely...especially Kathy Kennedy who seems to be over her head...

They've got a bad spinoff coming...and a 3rd nostalgia film with still unknown actors and 2 of 3 original stars dead...

...Star Wars is not out of George's wilderness yet...stay tuned.

You know what they say about opinions? Everybody's got one...like other things.

Here's the sad truth: some people don't have good opinions.

The farce awakens looked good...spared no expense and it was shot well. But it had little story...too much service to disney trying to reboot "safe" and a cranky bastard of an old actor getting paid.

The one quality that has been astounding about Star Wars is that it can be rewatched a near unlimited amount of times. Great movies are like that: you sit and watch 45 minutes anytime it's on...The Godfather comes to mind...wizard of oz...the shawshank redemption...

The OG trilogy is like that. Hard to not watch.

Try watching the force awakens. Legacy movies aren't just about box office...history has proven again and again.

Don't believe me...try it. It's like convincing yourself the earth is flat.

The thing about rogue one is that disney seems to have treated it kinda like the little sister...released it to Netflix in no time...really didn't promote it much at all...

Edwards did an amazing job in a box...I think...and then they brought in Bourne supremacitymatum to soften it...

The speeches were bad...the daddy issues thing forced...but it fit well otherwise. It was the fifth film since jedi...and the only scene that hit the pit of your stomach was the Death Star shot and the always awesome squid "may the force be with you" line

How hard is that?!?!?

Abrams didn't even try...

George tried with the scenes with the babies...but dogged obiwan with some cgi camel...

Couldn't have gotten a real camel for an hour and put a horn
On it, huh? Conan the destroyer looked more pro...

...ah jeez...never mind...I need a drink.

Your opinions are all very well thought out and you've stated them before. You are very passionate when it comes to Star Wars.

But it doesn't change the fact that the general public liked the movie. 8.1 on IMDB is a very high score. Not many movie hold a score over 8 a couple years after release. Rogue One is only 7.9. It doesn't mean you're wrong, but it does mean the movie was successful.

I'm admittedly possibly too "shallow" when it comes to movies. If I enjoy a movie and it makes me feel good than it was a good movie. I'm not "artsy", I don't analyze and critique every plot hole, etc.

I'm one of the people who thought Batman vs Superman was a great movie because I enjoyed it for what it was and didn't over analyze everything. I feel like I would never enjoy anything if I did that.

Your opinions are all very well thought out and you've stated them before. You are very passionate when it comes to Star Wars.

But it doesn't change the fact that the general public liked the movie. 8.1 on IMDB is a very high score. Not many movie hold a score over 8 a couple years after release. Rogue One is only 7.9. It doesn't mean you're wrong, but it does mean the movie was successful.

I'm admittedly possibly too "shallow" when it comes to movies. If I enjoy a movie and it makes me feel good than it was a good movie. I'm not "artsy", I don't analyze and critique every plot hole, etc.

I'm one of the people who thought Batman vs Superman was a great movie because I enjoyed it for what it was and didn't over analyze everything. I feel like I would never enjoy anything if I did that.

Yeah...I heard you before...and the imdb ranking reminds me of "most Facebook likes ever" for avatar.

How much of that IMDb ranking was compiled between 12/15/15 and 1/15/16?

Those things can paint a different picture.

As far as batman vs supermarket...I avoided it like the plague...

...and I saw Wonder Woman...and I've watched it twice and loved it...even with afleck...

...love me some WW

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I put the current trilogy in the OK category but that's way better than what I feared. A lot depends on how fresh the new stories are.

There's also danger of Star Wars fatigue with Disney cranking out the films so fast. I don't think that the faithful wil mind but the general public could decide when enough is enough.

If Rian's work on TLJ is as good as Lucasfilm says it is, I don't see why they can't have him work on episode 9 and save that film from the story/production hell it's going through right now...or at least have him on as a story consultant. I don't really trust JJ Abrams to wrap this up. He's good at starting things. Not good at finishing them at all.

Valid points...

But it's got to be more than a box office receipt.

It's gotta be great...not just 3 months of box office.

I said the most ridiculous thing I ever saw might have been JJ abrams presenting the best director Oscar in 2016...almost like Disney complaining to the academy...

For...what? "Best directing of an original reboot of a disco era movie"?

...watching this very closely...especially Kathy Kennedy who seems to be over her head...

They've got a bad spinoff coming...and a 3rd nostalgia film with still unknown actors and 2 of 3 original stars dead...

...Star Wars is not out of George's wilderness yet...stay tuned.
If last Jedi is a good film with some originality then TFA becomes better in my book. I can live with a reboot and then some creative mojo for the next two, just not three straight reboots. Fingers crossed for this one

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!