Rian Johnson to create all new Star Wars trilogy

I really enjoyed TFA. At my age, JJ taps into that nostalgia period for me and TFA does just that. It’s why I enjoyed Super8 so much. That is a great amalgam of movie themes/settings from the late 70s/early 80s.

For me, TFA was a re-stacking of the deck. Lucas fumbled the prequels with bad acting, poor dialogue, bad storyline decisions and an overall sterile feeling from an overuse of green screens. JJ brought such an organic feeling back to Star Wars, something that Georgie boy tossed aside behind Jar Jar and overdone fart gags. I never go back and watch the prequels - aside from the lightsaber dual at the end of Phantom Menace.

I have already Re-watched TFA numerous times. Daisy Ridley is such a find. And he know people have issues digesting Ben Solo as a villain, finding him to whiny or childish. That is why I appreciate that character. Yes, he is not Darth Vader, but maybe that is the point. He is a flawed villain, trying to be Vader but he never will be. And maybe we find that out in TLJ.

As far as a new trilogy, that is a wait and see for me. And haven’t seen enough of Rian Johnson to glean anything from him concerning his acumen as a storyteller and/or director. TLJ will answer a lot of that. Hopefully I am as pleasantly surprised by TLJ as I was Rouge One.

I love the new characters, but I want some "old" ones that fit into Canon. I'd love to see the Rogue Squadron or Wraiths. How about some more Wedge Antilles, Wes Janson, Hobbie?? Or my gosh it would be so awesome to see Iella or Mirax introduced to the screen too. It's been such a bummer that there is a wealth of characters we've never gotten to see live (Or maybe it's a good thing as I can fondly think of them as I want and not have them ruined. E.g. It would be heart-breaking if they ruined Mara Jade)

I really enjoyed TFA. At my age, JJ taps into that nostalgia period for me and TFA does just that. It’s why I enjoyed Super8 so much. That is a great amalgam of movie themes/settings from the late 70s/early 80s.

For me, TFA was a re-stacking of the deck. Lucas fumbled the prequels with bad acting, poor dialogue, bad storyline decisions and an overall sterile feeling from an overuse of green screens. JJ brought such an organic feeling back to Star Wars, something that Georgie boy tossed aside behind Jar Jar and overdone fart gags. I never go back and watch the prequels - aside from the lightsaber dual at the end of Phantom Menace.

I have already Re-watched TFA numerous times. Daisy Ridley is such a find. And he know people have issues digesting Ben Solo as a villain, finding him to whiny or childish. That is why I appreciate that character. Yes, he is not Darth Vader, but maybe that is the point. He is a flawed villain, trying to be Vader but he never will be. And maybe we find that out in TLJ.

As far as a new trilogy, that is a wait and see for me. And haven’t seen enough of Rian Johnson to glean anything from him concerning his acumen as a storyteller and/or director. TLJ will answer a lot of that. Hopefully I am as pleasantly surprised by TLJ as I was Rouge One.

I agree with the shortcomings of the prequels and the need to "reset"...

...but that doesn't excuse weak story with 8 year old depth mommy/daddy issue intrigue...

JJ went to the desert with carte Blanche and lined up in punt formation on 2nd down...

Last edited:
I love the new characters, but I want some "old" ones that fit into Canon. I'd love to see the Rogue Squadron or Wraiths. How about some more Wedge Antilles, Wes Janson, Hobbie?? Or my gosh it would be so awesome to see Iella or Mirax introduced to the screen too. It's been such a bummer that there is a wealth of characters we've never gotten to see live (Or maybe it's a good thing as I can fondly think of them as I want and not have them ruined. E.g. It would be heart-breaking if they ruined Mara Jade)

That's always the conundrum in that you want your favorites to be featured and brought to life, etc. - but you also don't want it to "ruin" what you have in your head

I think ideal would be to create new characters (that perhaps have some connection to the planet that Star Wars: Galacy's Edge is set in) but then have cameos or side characters that are known in the larger Star Wars universe

I've been saying it for a while but I would love a Dash Rendar film.

Are we just ignoring the fact that they've rejected that publically in favor of their own new material?
Agreed. Disney wants to generate their own property here. And it's not like the older stuff generated substantial mass market interest outside of existing SW fans at the time. They really, really tried back in the mid-1990s to branch out (and tap into the Heir to the Empire success) before releasing the special edition trilogy and mostly going back to the roots until the prequels came out a few years later.

Of course, Disney has shown a willingness to scrape a well or two for ideas. So I'll only be mildly shocked in the new movie when it's revealed that Rey and Ren are Skywalker twins. Or when they're both trained by Snoke, who's revealed to be a cloned Jedi master. Or when Leia's absence is explained by her hiding from Noghri who are chasing her across the galaxy. Or that Luke has been shacking up on that island with an attractive redhead who once tried to kill him. Or when General Hux starts demanding that everyone refer to him as "Grand Admiral" immediately after he manages to fall face-first into a bucket of blue paint.

Agreed. Disney wants to generate their own property here. And it's not like the older stuff generated substantial mass market interest outside of existing SW fans at the time. They really, really tried back in the mid-1990s to branch out (and tap into the Heir to the Empire success) before releasing the special edition trilogy and mostly going back to the roots until the prequels came out a few years later.

Of course, Disney has shown a willingness to scrape a well or two for ideas. So I'll only be mildly shocked in the new movie when it's revealed that Rey and Ren are Skywalker twins. Or when they're both trained by Snoke, who's revealed to be a cloned Jedi master. Or when Leia's absence is explained by her hiding from Noghri who are chasing her across the galaxy. Or that Luke has been shacking up on that island with an attractive redhead who once tried to kill him. Or when General Hux starts demanding that everyone refer to him as "Grand Admiral" immediately after he manages to fall face-first into a bucket of blue paint.

The new trilogy could use an attractive redhead...especially after the fisher trainwreck...

Someone with a mean streak...like Lita from WWE...

I'm really curious as to how "separate" they'll make this new trilogy. Will there be no talk of Jedi? no lightsabers? etc? If they try to go too far to separate it from the previous movies it might lose all the aspects of Star Wars that we all want.

I still think they should tell some of the story of what happened between ep 6 and 7....there's a lot of time in there, and obviously a lot was going on.

I still think they should tell some of the story of what happened between ep 6 and 7....there's a lot of time in there, and obviously a lot was going on.

While I agree...that was Lucas's job to do in the 90's with the three main characters...

Without them...it suits a tv series more...a political drama

I'm really curious as to how "separate" they'll make this new trilogy. Will there be no talk of Jedi? no lightsabers? etc? If they try to go too far to separate it from the previous movies it might lose all the aspects of Star Wars that we all want.

There is a trilogy of books that is canon that takes place between eps 6 and 7 called the Aftermath books - they could just turn those into movies

Would have to recast or do clever editing

Or not follow the books exactly but leverage that as source material

Nope...you don't recast the iconic characters of the biggest franchise ever...nope nope nope.

And we know what kinda demons cgi can unleash on the skywalker family.

It they're gonna make it fast and the furious or transformers laughable...it doesn't matter who the characters are...there's no plot anyway

I don't think it'll be that separate - and the "blank slate" they talk about might just be a paint by numbers if you look closely. A SW movie without lightsabers is a bit like a Jurassic Park film without dinosaurs (at least for the masses). They almost went there with Rogue One - but couldn't resist throwing Vader in at the end (which then turned into the highlight of the movie for many). Let's see what they do they with The Young Han Solo Chronicles - that by all rights shouldn't have any. For the next trilogy, even if the characters are new the world should have a similar feel. Or maybe Disney just slaps an Episode X opening crawl on John Carter and sees if we notice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!