Ride questions - stomach issues

3boymthr

DIS Veteran
We are taking DS as a surprise in the spring. We were talking earlier about Christmas lists and did he want another Six Flags annual pass and he mentioned a couple of their rides he didn’t like because his stomach can’t take them. He mentioned he can’t do the drop rides not the loop de loops. I was like well roller coasters drop and he was like, roller coasters are fine as long as they don’t loop de loop, the problem is the ones that drop and then back up then down then up then down. I said like tower of terror?and he said yes. I know he does fine with spinning rides and heights and most old fashioned roller coasters. Is there a list of rides at US and IOA that have either a loop de loop or do the drop similar to tower of terror.?

The only looping coaster at Universal is the Incredible Hulk.
The lift hill on Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit is vertical; I'm not sure whether or not that might affect your son's stomach like the drops on Tower of Terror would.
Dr. Doom's Fearfall is a drop tower ride.

I adore coasters and have no problems on loops. The rides where I feel like I’m leaving my stomach behind are drops like Fearfall. I have trouble on things like pirate ships that swing back and forth as well as those pendulum spinning wheel ones but Universal doesn’t have either of those. The sensation just doesn’t happen to me with loops or hills so I would encourage your kiddo to be brave and try the coasters at least once. They might be ok. But skip Fearfall.

It’s not an inversion but it is a loop. It just twists you so you don’t ever go upside down. I could see where it could cause stomach or motion sickness problems because you’re twisted around more dynamically than you would be in a normal loop.

It feels nothing like a loop. Since the person in question specifically cannot handle loops, he can likely handle RRR.

OP, Hulk loops but the forces the whole rest of the ride are so strong I can’t imagine he’d even notice the loop lol.

Dr Doom is the only up and down.

I do have a suggestion for him if he chooses to go. Either screaming during such things as up/down or loops, or a long slow semi-forceful exhale, both help a LOT. I think it equalizes pressure inside the body to help with that stomach feeling.

Or just reframe it as a feeling a bit lower. For years my son said that he didn’t feel it in his stomach, but below the belt. He would laugh and laugh. Funny little reframing of the sensation, that’s for sure.

Thanks for the info everyone. Given I have issues with heights I’m not going to argue with him about his ride phobias/stomach issues.

Thanks for the info everyone. Given I have issues with heights I’m not going to argue with him about his ride phobias/stomach issues.

All I can add is that if you have a height issue and he has drop issues, the only other thing I can think of is JP. While it's a coaster, boat ride, however you want to put it, it has an 85 foot drop which is why I mention it. As someone who doesn't like drops, but deals with it and goes on rides anyway, I thought I'd just mention it.

All I can add is that if you have a height issue and he has drop issues, the only other thing I can think of is JP. While it's a coaster, boat ride, however you want to put it, it has an 85 foot drop which is why I mention it. As someone who doesn't like drops, but deals with it and goes on rides anyway, I thought I'd just mention it.

Thanks for the warning. I’m trying to push past my fears and have decided that even though I hate heights I am going to go on all almost all the rides the kiddo wants to ride but I’m not going to push him to ride things he doesn’t want to ride if he says they’re going to make him sick. I will however be riding some of those rides with my eyes closed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!