Rider Swap with a service dog

disneymom3

<font color=green> I think I could adjust!! <br><f
I am wondering if anyone can share their experiences with me regarding one person in the party holding the dog and the rest riding and that person then having a turn. I have read that they do this similar to baby swap, but would like details from experiences on how you do this. My son does not want to leave his dog in the kennels that are provided at some of the rides.
The only trip report with a SD I have found is on All Ears and the person didn’t really seem very familiar with SDs and public access situations or really much experience.

It works exactly the same as child swap, the same procedure is used. That being said, at most attractions at Disney World the kennels are in good, relatively quiet locations and cast member stays with the kennel. But your son knows what his service dog can handle best and at many locations they prefer you do rider swap, as they don't need to have a cast member at the kennel, which in some cases is in a separate room that wouldn't normally have a cast member in it, but would need one when a service dog is in a kennel.

This is a link to the WDW website page about Service Animals.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/service-animals/
The attractions where Service Animals are prohibited are the ones that would have kennels available or be more experienced with Rider Switch for Service Animals.
People have reported that some of the close together attractions may share kennels.

All true, basically if the ride doesn't have a height requirement, service animals are allowed on it and there would be no rider swap or kennel offered. There may be some exceptions that I am not aware of, but I don't think so.

All true, basically if the ride doesn't have a height requirement, service animals are allowed on it and there would be no rider swap or kennel offered. There may be some exceptions that I am not aware of, but I don't think so.

peter pan does not have hight requirements but dose not allow service dogs on the ride they do have a kennel but it is out in the open where guests walk by and in one video I saw a little kids kicked the creat was they were walking by ( not hard) but the owner said they stoped leaving her dog in that one and other that were out in the open. from what I can tell they let every one stand in line together and then one person watches the dog at the exit or close to the exit and then that person goes on the ride ( I think with one or two other people) and they go pretty much to the front of the line ( like they might have to wait for one or two loads but it looks even faster than going in the FP line). If I can find the youtube video I will post it but I have my self started looking into a service dog for my self and have seen hundreds of not only Disney with a service dog but owner training video, places that will do it for you pro and cons of a service dog ( you name it I have more than likely seen it) so not too sure I can find it.

Oh, right because their moving walkways can't be stopped there and this aren't safe for service animals. When I go with my friend with a service dog, they don't go on Peter Pan there because they don't like Disney Worlds version, so I forgot that one. At Disneyland, service animals are allowed on Peter Pan since there are no moving walkways there.

while this might not answer you question on rider sap ( she dose tlk about it some) she dose show some video at the end of her going on rides with and without her dog and also the location of some kennels ( I know you prefer not to use them) she also had the problem at Peter pan that the other person had.

service dog at Disney

while this might not answer you question on rider sap ( she dose tlk about it some) she dose show some video at the end of her going on rides with and without her dog and also the location of some kennels ( I know you prefer not to use them) she also had the problem at Peter pan that the other person had.

service dog at Disney
I love her videos and hadn’t seen this one. Thank you!

Your answers all helped a lot. One thing I was trying to figure out was if we all wait in line together or if the second rider/group has to wait outside. when my kids were little, you waited outside and then re-entered through the FP line. But my youngest is 18 soooo....

Im also encouraged by the look of the kennels. They are much better than I expected as far as being in a quiet place.

I think as fair as if you all go in or not might be up to each ride or how you prefer to do it. Also she die a few months ago

Yes some of the kernels are in very quiet back stage area and some like Peter Pan are more out in the open you can use one way at
One ride and the other at another ride depending on where they are kept and the crowds and how you feel

I love her videos and hadn’t seen this one. Thank you!

Your answers all helped a lot. One thing I was trying to figure out was if we all wait in line together or if the second rider/group has to wait outside. when my kids were little, you waited outside and then re-entered through the FP line. But my youngest is 18 soooo....

Im also encouraged by the look of the kennels. They are much better than I expected as far as being in a quiet place.
It’s a different situation with children who don’t meet the height requirement for the attraction than for an adult. Children who are too short are not allowed in the line at all, so they would wait with an adult outside of the line.
With a Service Animal (or an adult waiting with another adult), where they wait would depend on the attraction. In some, the loading and unload area are in the same general location. In those cases, the waiting person could wait near the unload area and make the switch when the first person is unloading.
The CM at the entrance would direct you.

At Peter Pan we were told that the reason service dogs aren't allowed isn't because of the belts but because it would be nearly impossible to evacuate a dog from a ride vehicle 12 feet off the floor in case the ride broke down.

At Peter Pan we were told that the reason service dogs aren't allowed isn't because of the belts but because it would be nearly impossible to evacuate a dog from a ride vehicle 12 feet off the floor in case the ride broke down.
This make since. I was wondering about the moving walk way since service dog can go on the people mover and that walk way also can not be stopped. I also heard something that the dog can easily jump out since there are no sides but not sure about that one

If that were true, then Disneyland wouldn't allow them either. All escalators and moving walkways must be stopped when animals are on them, it is a safety issue, as that pads of their feet can get caught and get ripped off.

This make since. I was wondering about the moving walk way since service dog can go on the people mover and that walk way also can not be stopped. I also heard something that the dog can easily jump out since there are no sides but not sure about that one
They actually will stop the walkway at people mover if necessary, but it does stop the entire ride. But that particular walkway is designed a bit differently, due to its nature it may be safe for most service animals since you arent standing near the start or stop of the walkway at any given time. The speedramps going up and down do have to be stopped for service animals and it sometimes does breifly stop the ride while this occurs.

Sorry, but the up in the air doesn't make sense considering service animals are allowed on Peter Pan at Disneyland.

Peter Pan at WDW has a moving walkway for boarding and unloading.
Peter Pan at Disneyland comes to a complete stop for loading and unloading without a moving walkway.

CMs at WDW have said that part of the reason is the moving walkway, which can only be emergency stopped and part is that the ride is elevated. At the time I was not aware the DL allowed Service Dogs, so it would be something besides the elevation. I don’t know if there is something different about the ride Pirate Ship - like more floor space - or something about ability to evacuate.
My guess is the main reason is the moving walkway, since that is the biggest difference.

Peter Pan at WDW has a moving walkway for boarding and unloading.
Peter Pan at Disneyland comes to a complete stop for loading and unloading without a moving walkway.

CMs at WDW have said that part of the reason is the moving walkway, which can only be emergency stopped and part is that the ride is elevated. At the time I was not aware the DL allowed Service Dogs, so it would be something besides the elevation. I don’t know if there is something different about the ride Pirate Ship - like more floor space - or something about ability to evacuate.
My guess is the main reason is the moving walkway, since that is the biggest difference.
The pirate ships at WDW are actually a bit larger than at DL. Evacuation procedures are similar for both as far as I am aware, although DL does a better job at hiding the emergency stairs than at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!