Rider switch / Max Pass proper usage

jokerz99

Earning My Ears
Hello All

I used the search bar and did read all the ride switch/ max pass thread and I think my answer is "yes" but can someone just confirm, please?

Going to Disneyland/California Adv. next week. 2 adults 2 kids (3 year (39 inches)/6 years(48 inches))

1. Buying Maxpass/Fastpass for the 2 adults and 2 kids
  2. Loading all tickets on to MY disneyapp
    1. Providing wife with my user/pass on her phone
    2. Now both phones should show MP/FP that I manage
  3. Break MP/FP pull into 2 groups
    1. Group 1 wife/ 3yo
    2. Group 2 me /6yo
The overall gameplan (since they do not check name with faces) is to maximize my 6 yo riding
  1. Group 1 pulls MP/FP + Ride Switch for Ride X
  2. Group 2 pulls MP/FP + Ride Switch for Ride Y
  3. Group 1 Ride X
    1. RS 6 yo gets to go 2x
  4. Once Group 1 finishes riding the 1st time Group 1 pull MP/FP + Ride Switch for Ride Z
  5. Once 6 yo Ride X twice we move to Ride Y
    1. Using Ride Switch do the same process over
Basically, keep this cycle going and while the older kid is on the ride the parent + younger kid will do someone in the area or go on a small kids ride.

Questions
  • Does my overall logic work?
  • Do I need MP/FP for the 2 kids so I can pull FP/MP for 2 groups with Ride switch?
  • I read that you should put the tickets in a lanyard so you don't have to keep opening the app
    • I am confused about that statement what is the value of doing this?
Thanks!

Yes, it works in theory. But you have a 3 yo. Mine had no attention span for hanging around for rider switch.

What we did instead: Parent 1 rides with maxpass. Then go do something else. Maybe parent 2 can ride with maxpass. If not, cancel and book a different fast pass.

If you book 4 maxpasses for ride x child 6 could ride with mom and dad using just those with no rider switch.

I find scanning my paper pass faster than phone. But I don’t use a lanyard.

Our family situation was exactly the same and that's what we've done in the past (we'll also be there next week!). We have APs with max pass for all family members. Just make sure you're aware of what rides you want to ride as a family (TSMM, Buzz, HM or Small World if they currently have FP) so that you can grab 4 FPs for all of them at once. It's also good to have a general idea of what the other parent will be doing with the 3yo. We've done a lot of snacks and have gone several times so we know what will keep her entertained, but there are some areas (looking at you, Guardians of the Galaxy) that are just plain boring for little kids.

I find my phone easier to use than my AP cards, but I think I'm in the minority.

It can totally work.... know what’s nearby for the parent with the 3-year-old so they can do something fun rather than just wait around... I.e., the carousel next to Incredicoaster, Monster’s Inc near Guardians, Tarzan’s Treehouse/Jungle Cruise/Tiki Room next to Indy, Winnie the Pooh across from Splash Mountaint, Teacups across from Matterhorn, Buzz Loghtyear or Astro Orbiters next to Space Mountain, etc.

One benefit of Max Pass over rider switch is that rider switch requires the non riders to be present. This is not always practical, especially if your younger child is upset by not riding. We often find that splitting up and meeting up again works in our favor when a little one can't ride. You will have access to 4 FP AT a time and that will allow for plenty of ride time. Even with a FP you will have some wait plus the ride time. With the heat sometimes it can be better to not switch. Also, the new system has a timed return. I would say for RSR (FP gone quickly) it is worth swapping as younger child has things to do nearby. But for some rides like Guardians or Thunder Mtn. it may be better to just split up and meet up an hour or so later.

Also, have you measured your youngest in shoes?

One benefit of Max Pass over rider switch is that rider switch requires the non riders to be present. This is not always practical, especially if your younger child is upset by not riding. We often find that splitting up and meeting up again works in our favor when a little one can't ride. You will have access to 4 FP AT a time and that will allow for plenty of ride time. Even with a FP you will have some wait plus the ride time. With the heat sometimes it can be better to not switch. Also, the new system has a timed return. I would say for RSR (FP gone quickly) it is worth swapping as younger child has things to do nearby. But for some rides like Guardians or Thunder Mtn. it may be better to just split up and meet up an hour or so later.

Also, have you measured your youngest in shoes?
No, I have not measured either kid with shoes on. What difference would it make? I THINK I know why but just want to make sure.... TIA

No, I have not measured either kid with shoes on. What difference would it make? I THINK I know why but just want to make sure.... TIA
Tennis shoes often raise a kid's height by about an inch. You may find your 3 year-old tall enough for 40" rides. Radiator Springs is a great ride for younger ones as it isn't scary or intense.

Yes! I think it was the waiting for the rider switch that caused an extra wait for kid 2.

I heard the measuring sticks account for shoes but I’m not sure.

Yes! I think it was the waiting for the rider switch that caused an extra wait for kid 2.

I heard the measuring sticks account for shoes but I’m not sure.

Someone on the boards measured all of them a couple of years ago and aside from one (Jumping Jellyfish maybe?) they were all exactly as listed so no a 40" height restriction isn't actually a 41" stick, it's a 40" stick so some children who wouldn't measure up barefoot do in shoes. Just make sure to take them early in the day while well rested for the best chance at making a height restriction. Make it a game and don't be upset if they don't "make the bar" as it were.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter