Rider switch - response from Disney re:Fastpass+

I’ve read so many of these posts and I feel more confused every time...we were just there in January and used rider swap because I have a toddler. I booked FPs for the rest of us. When we went up to get the swap they would put an extra 30-60 minute window on my daughter’s band because she was the one riding twice. They always asked if we had FPs or were riding standby but I never understood why we’d be up there getting the swap if we were doing standby???
I’m also very confused about why groups doing rider swaps should get double the FPs which is what sounds like is happening? The one poster on here said only half the group had FOP FP - that means he could book that way for every ride and technically get six instead of three? How is that ok?
The only reason it "doubles" your FP allotment is because Disney allows up to 2 additional people to come along for the rider swap. But that's their policy currently so we (along with others) take advantage to boost our touring plan. If they limited it to one rider swap, then it would probably be more fair... they may change that in the future. My 6 year old son wasn't complaining of the current policy because he got to ride twice.

Another thing to keep in mind - an email from Disney does not necessarily qualify as policy... it’s not like they have the explanation on the website... again I posted because there have been conflicting posts from people regarding how it worked for them and since I wasn’t able to find an answer on the website I thought I’d ask...
Just fine the CM that has the iPad at the FP+ entrance. That is the person who will be able to put the rider swap passes on your bands.

Our experience last August was inconsistent. At some attractions we all had FP and there were zero issues.
DS11 did not originally want to ride SDD, FoP, or SM so I got FP for everyone in our party except for me and for him (I booked ours for another attraction that I could go on with him and 2 yo). When we got to SM he decided he did want to go, and my father offered to give DS his MB so 11 yo could go. The CM at the FP entrance said we could use RS there even though all of us did not have FP (this was not something we asked for or counted on, to be clear). So group 1 went, they added RS to my account and DS's and he and I went on afterward.

At SDD he was on the fence about wanting to go. I told him he would have to wait in the 85 minute long line. His 14 yo sister offered to wait with him. My father asked CM if we could do the same thing they had done at SM and we were told they could not. We didn't argue. Same thing at FoP. The alternative we were offered was that some of our party (those who did not have FP) could wait in the standby line and get an RS for those not waiting standby (meaning some of our party could ride once with FP and a second time as the other half of RS but the first half of the party was going to have to wait standby).

At any ride where no one had FP and we decided to wait in the Standby line (Primevil Whirl or DINOSAUR for example which each had maybe a 20 minute wait) we were given RS without incident- half the party went on in the SB line, and when they returned the second half used RS to go through the FP line.

My advice is to count on everyone needing an FP if any part of your party will use the FP entrance. Yes, it is very inconsistent right now but at any attraction it is up to the CM with the tablet adding the RS. My family was turned away twice (not a complaint- DS did not originally want an FP and we did not argue with CM that any exception should be made).

I will say I would personally prefer if Disney would do riderswap at the end of the line, then everyone stands in line together, and at the end group 1 boards while while group 2 waits (typically one adult and the child) and then group 2 goes with maybe one extra person so they don’t ride alone. This is how many other parks handle this and it takes far less time for the family involved because there is no double wait in line and then find each other, switch, etc. further it would end the whole discussion about this and if the system is “fair”... a win win for me. Now that said it’s my preference and I know there are others who like that the whole family isn’t waiting in line together.

If I have learned anything about WDW in the 25+ years that I have been going, is that they are very slow to implement this kind of stuff. But if the higher ups are saying that this is the policy, then it will eventually trickle down. WDW is HUGE. I can not imagine what it takes to be able to implement things like this. Again, I would not take the chance by booking double FPs because one day you will go and it will have been completely implemented.

I will say I would personally prefer if Disney would do riderswap at the end of the line, then everyone stands in line together, and at the end group 1 boards while while group 2 waits (typically one adult and the child) and then group 2 goes with maybe one extra person so they don’t ride alone. This is how many other parks handle this and it takes far less time for the family involved because there is no double wait in line and then find each other, switch, etc. further it would end the whole discussion about this and if the system is “fair”... a win win for me. Now that said it’s my preference and I know there are others who like that the whole family isn’t waiting in line together.

That is how it used to be up until a few years ago. They are trying to be nice and not making someone with a toddler wait in line. Look where that got them, people abusing it and getting double FPs.

We had the same experience today with both Everest and FOP. I was nervous bc we booked our FPs before I heard about the new policy of both adults needing them for rider swap. We had no issues. In fact with both rides I asked what my time restriction was for using the rider swap FP and I was told I had until park close.

We did a lot of rider switch, sometimes we all had FPs and sometimes not. Nobody ever checked or cared. Often, the person doing the rider switch was not even paying attention to whether the first group went in the FP line or not, they just looked at the toddler and gave out the three return passes.

I was worried about this before our tip, so my strategy was to make sure we all had FPs for FoP and SDMT, two rides where I heard they may be strict about this. We did find that those two rides (and probably slinky dog, though we did it at EMM so no FP) had CMs paying really close attention at the FP lane, though they didn't specifically ask if our waiting group had a FP.

We did have one glitch with rider switch- we had a SDMT FP and SDMT went down in the morning, so it changed to a multiple experiences pass. We decided to go back to SDMT later. In the meantime, we rider switched on BTMRR. The second group got our multiple experiences passes eaten up when we went back in to BTMRR, instead of the rider swap. When we arrived at SDMT, they waved us over to the ipad CM, who was able to see what we used the passes on and that the rider switch passes were unused, and she let us on.

Our experience last August was inconsistent. At some attractions we all had FP and there were zero issues.
DS11 did not originally want to ride SDD, FoP, or SM so I got FP for everyone in our party except for me and for him (I booked ours for another attraction that I could go on with him and 2 yo). When we got to SM he decided he did want to go, and my father offered to give DS his MB so 11 yo could go. The CM at the FP entrance said we could use RS there even though all of us did not have FP (this was not something we asked for or counted on, to be clear). So group 1 went, they added RS to my account and DS's and he and I went on afterward.

At SDD he was on the fence about wanting to go. I told him he would have to wait in the 85 minute long line. His 14 yo sister offered to wait with him. My father asked CM if we could do the same thing they had done at SM and we were told they could not. We didn't argue. Same thing at FoP. The alternative we were offered was that some of our party (those who did not have FP) could wait in the standby line and get an RS for those not waiting standby (meaning some of our party could ride once with FP and a second time as the other half of RS but the first half of the party was going to have to wait standby).

At any ride where no one had FP and we decided to wait in the Standby line (Primevil Whirl or DINOSAUR for example which each had maybe a 20 minute wait) we were given RS without incident- half the party went on in the SB line, and when they returned the second half used RS to go through the FP line.

My advice is to count on everyone needing an FP if any part of your party will use the FP entrance. Yes, it is very inconsistent right now but at any attraction it is up to the CM with the tablet adding the RS. My family was turned away twice (not a complaint- DS did not originally want an FP and we did not argue with CM that any exception should be made).

Thanks for the post, I thought there were reports like this. I’ll continue to look for reports from recent experiences... maybe we could get a thread for just reporting on what happened (actual experiences) so we can see if there seems to be a shift in how it is implemented (like over the summer they were doing one thing and now they are not...). Would people want something like that?

THanks for the info. Very helpful.
My question is, we are a party of 4, 2 Adults and 1 3yo and 1 10month old. We are going to be using the rider swap a little bit for rides that the baby can't go on. So we will all get FP for those rides. The only ride that 3yo won't go on is FOP. Now my question is do we still get FP for all 3 of us? Even though she isn't riding? Because if we don't wont that mess up our FP for the rest of the day? It will say she has one when we don't.
I'm really confused about this.

I would get 3yo a FP for FoP. Someone could use her band for a second ride if they want. Getting a 3yo a different fastpass doesn't help with anything, cause it's not like she can ride anything by herself... if you decide not to use the FoP FP, you can just scan it to use it up (if you want too use up her third pass and switch parks), or delete it and get another AK FP for all three of you.

We did a lot of rider switch, sometimes we all had FPs and sometimes not. Nobody ever checked or cared. Often, the person doing the rider switch was not even paying attention to whether the first group went in the FP line or not, they just looked at the toddler and gave out the three return passes.

I was worried about this before our tip, so my strategy was to make sure we all had FPs for FoP and SDMT, two rides where I heard they may be strict about this. We did find that those two rides (and probably slinky dog, though we did it at EMM so no FP) had CMs paying really close attention at the FP lane, though they didn't specifically ask if our waiting group had a FP.

We did have one glitch with rider switch- we had a SDMT FP and SDMT went down in the morning, so it changed to a multiple experiences pass. We decided to go back to SDMT later. In the meantime, we rider switched on BTMRR. The second group got our multiple experiences passes eaten up when we went back in to BTMRR, instead of the rider swap. When we arrived at SDMT, they waved us over to the ipad CM, who was able to see what we used the passes on and that the rider switch passes were unused, and she let us on.
The "mulitple experiences" FP for a closed ride really vexed me. We had FP on Spaceship Earth for 10am and it was down so it switched to multiple experiences. I booked a FP for all 6 of us but when it came back up at 10:30, my Father in law did not want to walk over to it and was happy to pull up a bench in mexico. After the rest of us went on Spaceship Earth, i had a rogue FP preventing me from booking my "day of" fastpasses AND i could not cancel it from the app. So, until he tapped in at one of the "multiple experience" rides, he was preventing me from booking more for all 6 of us together. Very annoying. If you can cancel a regular FP, why not the "multiple experience" ones?

I'm hoping the format appears correctly on this as I'm going to quote posts from this thread and 2 others.

A couple of months ago on Aug 26, you seemed to indicate that you all had FP for Space:

At any ride where I asked for RS, hassle ensued, even if we all had a FP, and especially on rides where no one had a FP. This was at 7DMT, Alien Saucers, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Primeval Whirl, Thunder Mountain, Soarin’, Star Tours, Everest, and a few others I can’t even remember. All 6 had FP, I had 2 yo non-rider in stroller with me.

In a separate thread on Aug 28, you also stated that you all had FP for Space:

Space Mountain, 7DMT, Soarin', Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Everest- all 6 riders had FP.

Did you have 2 separate, completely different experiences with Space during your trip in August? I'm also confused by what you are saying now in regards to SDD and FOP:

In your post on Aug 26, you said:

Rides where all of us did not have FP:
SDD- we explained to the CM (as I was told to do when I initially contacted guest services for clarification when the system went paperless). CM asked if we all had FP, we told her (again) that 3 did and 3 did not. She stated that the person with FP (so DH) could be given RS and bring 2 people back. So older kids were put on RS as the second 2 people. DH then gave me his magic band so I could use his RS and take the kids with me. Well, his band didn’t work and we were told he already used FP and that because 3 of us did not have FP we would have to wait standby (apparently the handheld device had not worked yet again and we then spent more time explaining in the 100 degree heat).

That seems to indicate that they did (or attempted to) add the rider swap to DH's and 2 others' bands despite not all of you having FP, and that it just was not added properly... Not that you asked for rider swap and were denied as you seem to now be saying. You had an issue with redeeming it (which you yourself had previously stated there were some issues with the new hand-held devices), but ultimately were still permitted to ride.

In regards to FOP, on Aug 26, you said:

FoP-explained to CM. RS was applied to my (non-FP having) magic band. Literally the ONLY time all week this went smoothly, but still with plenty of asking and explaining.

In your post on Aug 28, you recounted your FOP experience similarly:

FoP- 3 of our party had FP and 3 did not. We had no issue getting RS for me, and adding the other 2 non FP holders as my additional 2 riders. In fact this was the smoothest transaction we had the entire week and I was fully prepared for battle. Had not done FP for all 6 because my 2 older kids were certain they did not want to ride and then changed their minds and I figured it was worth asking and I'm glad I did.

That's the second time you said your FOP experience went smoothly and that you were given rider swap without FP.

That's why I'm confused by you now saying:

My family was turned away twice (not a complaint- DS did not originally want an FP and we did not argue with CM that any exception should be made).

Going off of what you said in 2 separate threads shortly after your August trip quoted above, you were NOT turned away or denied rider swap when you all didn't have FP.

I'm hoping the format appears correctly on this as I'm going to quote posts from this thread and 2 others.

A couple of months ago on Aug 26, you seemed to indicate that you all had FP for Space:

In a separate thread on Aug 28, you also stated that you all had FP for Space:

Did you have 2 separate, completely different experiences with Space during your trip in August? I'm also confused by what you are saying now in regards to SDD and FOP:

In your post on Aug 26, you said:

That seems to indicate that they did (or attempted to) add the rider swap to DH's and 2 others' bands despite not all of you having FP, and that it just was not added properly... Not that you asked for rider swap and were denied as you seem to now be saying. You had an issue with redeeming it (which you yourself had previously stated there were some issues with the new hand-held devices), but ultimately were still permitted to ride.

In regards to FOP, on Aug 26, you said:

In your post on Aug 28, you recounted your FOP experience similarly:

That's the second time you said your FOP experience went smoothly and that you were given rider swap without FP.

That's why I'm confused by you now saying:

Going off of what you said in 2 separate threads shortly after your August trip quoted above, you were NOT turned away or denied rider swap when you all didn't have FP.

I'm sure something is lost in the formatting of the reply, but yes these were different days/ experiences. My replies here are mainly to address the idea that "no one is turned away," "no one is told no," and that's not true. There is no way to know which times will be a "yes" and which times will be a "no." 6 different times at 3 different attractions and we did run into issues at some and not others, with no rhyme or reason. At SDD the first time, we had MB issues (so, okay fine they DID attempt that time). The second time, we were turned away.

Similar experiences for September trip as well, and for that one I can probably supply CM names if you'd like because I started noting which places/ times I had issues (but in that case it was only a 4 day trip and we all had FP because I wasn't going through what I went through in August).

ETA, no we were not turned away every time but we were not consistently given a "yes" either and at those three specific attractions, sometimes it was "yes" and sometimes it was "no."

I didn't realize it was so unheard of that anyone would visit a park or go on an attraction more than once per trip.

I would prefer it that way too as the family could be kept together pretty much the whole time and it wouldn't take as long to ride the height-restricted rides. For the rides with pre-show especially (like FOP, Soarin, and TT), it often would take us 1.5 hrs to get both groups through the FP line using rider swap. A good chunk of that time can be eliminated if those doing rider swap didn't have to go back through the FP line.

That being said, I can also see the pros to not making little ones wait in line. Also, I think logistically it would be difficult for Disney to allow the little ones in line as the boarding areas aren't usually big enough to accommodate a bunch of waiting non-riders without clogging up the area (or the exit) and potentially making it a safety hazard, especially if there was an emergency, evacuation, etc. If they had rider swap rooms like Universal does, it could alleviate that issue, but I don't think a lot of the rides have the room to add that without major structural changes. Also, it would put more pressure on the CMs at boarding with measuring to ensure little ones aren't snuck on the ride/dealing with frustrated parents who don't understand why little one can't ride but had to wait in line/little ones upset because they see the ride and family members getting on it but they can't go, etc.

Thanks for the post, I thought there were reports like this. I’ll continue to look for reports from recent experiences... maybe we could get a thread for just reporting on what happened (actual experiences) so we can see if there seems to be a shift in how it is implemented (like over the summer they were doing one thing and now they are not...). Would people want something like that?

We have a thread for that and I think it's on the first page of this board (it's the long one about rider swap). A lot of people have been creating new threads rather than posting on that one though, so it's a little hard to keep track of it all. Lots of people did post on there though shortly after rider swap went digital sharing their experiences and there have been occasional new posts if you want to check it out.

I think that would be helpful. I’m confusing myself trying to find all the experiences and figure out what the CURRENT trends are.

I'm sure something is lost in the formatting of the reply, but yes these were different days/ experiences. My replies here are mainly to address the idea that "no one is turned away," "no one is told no," and that's not true. There is no way to know which times will be a "yes" and which times will be a "no." 6 different times at 3 different attractions and we did run into issues at some and not others, with no rhyme or reason. At SDD the first time, we had MB issues (so, okay fine they DID attempt that time). The second time, we were turned away.

Similar experiences for September trip as well, and for that one I can probably supply CM names if you'd like because I started noting which places/ times I had issues (but in that case it was only a 4 day trip and we all had FP because I wasn't going through what I went through in August).

ETA, no we were not turned away every time but we were not consistently given a "yes" either and at those three specific attractions, sometimes it was "yes" and sometimes it was "no."

I didn't realize it was so unheard of that anyone would visit a park or go on an attraction more than once per trip.

Of course it's not unheard of to go on an attraction more than once per trip. I am just confused as to why right after that August trip, you posted in two separate threads discussing your experiences with rider swap (specifically in regards to whether FP was needed), and that those experiences are different thantwhat you are now stating occurred. You said in both threads that you were given (and used, though with a minor glitch on SDD) rider swap despite not all having FP for both FOP and SDD. It seems like that would have been a perfect time to explain the other times you rode those rides and were denied... But you didn't.

In regards to your September trip, you say you all had FP for everything, so I'm not sure how those were similar experiences to your August trip. I'm just trying to understand what's actually going on in the parks, same as everyone else, but it becomes difficult to do so when someone brings up an experience from 6 months ago that's different from what they originally posted. I understand you may have had different experiences at those attractions on subsequent rides, but don't understand why you didn't say so 6 month ago when it was completely relevant to what you were discussing at the time.

Of course it's not unheard of to go on an attraction more than once per trip. I am just confused as to why right after that August trip, you posted in two separate threads discussing your experiences with rider swap (specifically in regards to whether FP was needed), and that those experiences are different thantwhat you are now stating occurred. You said in both threads that you were given (and used, though with a minor glitch on SDD) rider swap despite not all having FP for both FOP and SDD. It seems like that would have been a perfect time to explain the other times you rode those rides and were denied... But you didn't.

In regards to your September trip, you say you all had FP for everything, so I'm not sure how those were similar experiences to your August trip. I'm just trying to understand what's actually going on in the parks, same as everyone else, but it becomes difficult to do so when someone brings up an experience from 6 months ago that's different from what they originally posted. I understand you may have had different experiences at those attractions on subsequent rides, but don't understand why you didn't say so 6 month ago when it was completely relevant to what you were discussing at the time.

Because sometimes I mis-read the OP, or sometimes I'm tired or distracted from chasing my 3 kids around or I don't always see the necessity in every last detail, or sometimes I want to be brief, or sometimes I just don't see every detail as relevant at the time. Sometimes 30 other people have said "yes! I did that! or "no, they never allowed this once in the 30 days I was there!" and I just don't feel like it's necessary to join the chorus to prove a point. Sometimes, until I look at photos or notes or whatever I bother with during the trip, I just plain don't remember. Would you like me to get into more details concerning my memory here, or do you feel you've embarrassed me enough for one day?

But, since you felt the need to go through 600 plus posts over five or so months to essentially call me a liar (or whatever it is you're really attempting at doing here because if that wasn't it, then a personal message or a question rather than a statement would have been more appropriate here), I feel it necessary to I have absolutely nothing invested in how anyone chooses to book FP and I don't have a crystal ball telling me which day or attraction the "half and half game" is going to work on, so anyone can book as they choose and at their own risk. If anyone is still able to book this way and not having any issues, great.

No, my September trip isn't relevant except to say that after the inconsistency of the August trip I realized that my choices are to either book FP for everyone, or risk not going on something using FP in conjunction with RS.

If I am mis-reading you here then I sincerely apologize, but honestly I can't imagine doing to someone what you've done here.

On whether it would be better to have a swap at the end of the line, I'm just going to chime in NO. Many times we use rider swap because the little one is napping in the stroller, and I'd like to see you try to get a stroller up some of the steeper and windier ride queues, plus a sea of strollers would for sure clog up the boarding area.

I also do really appreciate that rider swap allows two guests to ride twice. We would not make use of it if it meant our older kids (twins, age 7) had to wait around while mom or dad rides after the first group. This keeps them occupied since they reboard with the second parent.

I now make my FPs on a case by case basis. If it is a ride both DH and I really really love (Star tours comes to mind), I booked all of us a fastpass just to be safe since I would hate it if we were turned down a rider swap. On everything else, we just take turns. This trip, for example, I am getting splash with the older kids while DH has a FP to take little one on Aladdin's carpets, but my husband gets to go on test track with the older kids while I take little one on FEA. If they let us do rider swap, great. If not, I'll live without riding test track, and I'll be happy little guy got to have a ride just for him that his older brothers have outgrown.

On whether it would be better to have a swap at the end of the line, I'm just going to chime in NO. Many times we use rider swap because the little one is napping in the stroller, and I'd like to see you try to get a stroller up some of the steeper and windier ride queues, plus a sea of strollers would for sure clog up the boarding area.
I completely agree, for the reasons you mention and also- it's a good time for a bathroom bread/ quick snack/ diaper change. Also I've seen plenty of kids have a meltdown when they get to the entrance and they're not tall enough. I can't imagine it being any better if they've waited in a line and then it's "sorry kid, no ride for you."

Because sometimes I mis-read the OP, or sometimes I'm tired or distracted from chasing my 3 kids around or I don't always see the necessity in every last detail, or sometimes I want to be brief, or sometimes I just don't see every detail as relevant at the time. Sometimes 30 other people have said "yes! I did that! or "no, they never allowed this once in the 30 days I was there!" and I just don't feel like it's necessary to join the chorus to prove a point. Sometimes, until I look at photos or notes or whatever I bother with during the trip, I just plain don't remember. Would you like me to get into more details concerning my memory here, or do you feel you've embarrassed me enough for one day?

But, since you felt the need to go through 600 plus posts over five or so months to essentially call me a liar (or whatever it is you're really attempting at doing here because if that wasn't it, then a personal message or a question rather than a statement would have been more appropriate here), I feel it necessary to I have absolutely nothing invested in how anyone chooses to book FP and I don't have a crystal ball telling me which day or attraction the "half and half game" is going to work on, so anyone can book as they choose and at their own risk. If anyone is still able to book this way and not having any issues, great.

No, my September trip isn't relevant except to say that after the inconsistency of the August trip I realized that my choices are to either book FP for everyone, or risk not going on something using FP in conjunction with RS.

If I am mis-reading you here then I sincerely apologize, but honestly I can't imagine doing to someone what you've done here.

I'm sorry if you have read my posts as a personal attack. That was sincerely not my intention. I am just trying to understand what your experiences were with rider swap and FP during your trip in August. I have been reading every thread/post on here about the rider swap with FP issue for the past couple of years, trying to keep up with the different experiences people have had in the park and any changes that occur.

What stuck out to me about your post today was that you mentioned being denied rider swap twice on your August trip when all of you didn't have FP. I remember seeing your name on past rider swap threads, but didn't recall seeing anyone (you or others) post anytime recently that they had actually been denied (except in cases of a tall enough child, which is a completely different scenario). There are loads of posts of people discussing whether or not everyone needs FP, emails/chats etc with Disney reps about the issue, etc, but I didn't recall people posting they were denied due to not having FP. I looked at your past posts because I thought I might have missed you posting about it previously. I saw that you posted a different experience on those rides than what you said on this thread, so I posted.

Really, I was just looking for clarification and was confused since the reports were different. You never mentioned being denied in August despite detailed posts describing your experiences with rider swap. Going off of those posts, your post today about your experience in August didn't make sense to me. That's all.

I would prefer it that way too as the family could be kept together pretty much the whole time and it wouldn't take as long to ride the height-restricted rides.

Maybe your kids are different than mine, but I’m picturing the meltdown that would ensue if I took my 3 year old through a line (especially a long one) when he knows he’s not going to get to ride the cool ride at the end.

I think current rider swap may be slightly inconvenient for the people riding, but it’s great for the small child who isn’t riding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!