Rider Switch response from DW

The only issue I have with it is the hour expiration. That's only because sometimes, the adult watching the kiddos wanders off to do things with the kids and til you meet up and switch after going through the ride, you might be flirting with that one hour limit.

But I do agree the change is a good thing. I personally felt that there was a lot of advantages being taken with the way it was run beforehand.

I like the idea of digital and the 1 hour window really doesn't bother me since about 90% of the time we did it back to back but my concern seems that its unknown if on the riderswap will be defined names. So like now we use it so each parent can ride with our daughter while the other watches the smaller ones. While sure its a bonus the kid rides twice but its part of the experience for each parent to be able to ride with their kid and not be stuck by themselves.

I hear you but in your scenario you could also compare it to the family of 5 that kids all clear the height requirement. One child is going to ride alone and not with either parent, sometimes out of reach to even talk. It is not up to Disney to make sure every parent rides with every kid.

I am not saying there shouldn't be rider swap, it just needs to be set up in a way that its not being "overused" and putting it digital stops the "abuse" ... much like what was happening with the old GAC.

Maybe it will be similar to the DAS (new version of GAC). It is now digital. At Guest Relations IF YOU ARE APPROVED all members in your party scan their MB. If there are 10 of you, fine all 10 are scanned. BUT the rules are only the DAS holder and 5 others can ride with the DAS. When you get your return time, you tell them which 5 are going with DAS holder. They check them off your list on their device so their MB works when they return. For RS maybe what it will just mean is that 2 or 3 people (website rule or paper pass rule) that were present and scanned will be activated to use the return pass. Once those people scan to use the pass then the system would not allow anyone else.

Everyone was upset with new DAS but it works great. I think this will be the same. We don't know, but if folks are restricted from doubling their FP+ then they will just have to do some more planning .... or do what I do, use my FP+ for something my kid can do. In the end you can roll FP+ so many times every child should can do everything they want to do.

The problem some people have with what you described is that your family is effectively fast passing both FOP and NRJ - both tier 1 rides at AK. Which doesn't seem fair to people who don't have a too short child and can only FP one or the other. The "fair" solution is for your family to FP NRJ and wait in the standby line for FOP w/ Rider Swap. Everyone still gets to ride both attractions, but you haven't doubled up on FPs. And you're only waiting in the standby line for FOP once, which is what RS was originally intended for. Just my .02

Yes. This.

I hear you but in your scenario you could also compare it to the family of 5 that kids all clear the height requirement. One child is going to ride alone and not with either parent, sometimes out of reach to even talk. It is not up to Disney to make sure every parent rides with every kid.

I am not saying there shouldn't be rider swap, it just needs to be set up in a way that its not being "overused" and putting it digital stops the "abuse" ... much like what was happening with the old GAC.

Maybe it will be similar to the DAS (new version of GAC). It is now digital. At Guest Relations IF YOU ARE APPROVED all members in your party scan their MB. If there are 10 of you, fine all 10 are scanned. BUT the rules are only the DAS holder and 5 others can ride with the DAS. When you get your return time, you tell them which 5 are going with DAS holder. They check them off your list on their device so their MB works when they return. For RS maybe what it will just mean is that 2 or 3 people (website rule or paper pass rule) that were present and scanned will be activated to use the return pass. Once those people scan to use the pass then the system would not allow anyone else.

Everyone was upset with new DAS but it works great. I think this will be the same. We don't know, but if folks are restricted from doubling their FP+ then they will just have to do some more planning .... or do what I do, use my FP+ for something my kid can do. In the end you can roll FP+ so many times every child should can do everything they want to do.

Only on a few rides would a family of 5 have that issues but they still all ride at same time, wait in line together and so on.

And in most cases the one on there own is right in front or behind.

We use rider swap all the time right now but have always booked everyone with a fp as is.

After going to universal studios last year their rider swap system is so much better in most cases. But it would be impossible for Disney to do it that way based on how the queues are.

The only issue I have with it is the hour expiration. That's only because sometimes, the adult watching the kiddos wanders off to do things with the kids and til you meet up and switch after going through the ride, you might be flirting with that one hour limit.

But I do agree the change is a good thing. I personally felt that there was a lot of advantages being taken with the way it was run beforehand.

They will give you a RS if you have the FP, then there is no longer a one hour expiration :-)

This is kind of how RS works at DL now. Everyone needs to go to the line entrance and the CM scans the ticket of the people who will come back for the second ride. So you have to decide then who will go second. There is no time expiration on it and it does not affect FP’s though. Still could probably be gamed but that’s really not a big problem at DL because you can only get one FP at a time

I would be all for the new changes. I have 3 kids and we have used RS for years. We’ve always pulled FP for everyone for whatever ride we need the RS for, mainly because I don’t know who I going to want to go first or second, or who wants to ride with whom, etc. It is just easier to have a FP for everyone and then decide at the entrance what to do. I am squarely in the camp that I do not believe I or the too short child are missing out, nor that we “deserve” a fastpass to a different ride. We use the time to let the too small kid out of the stroller, stretch her legs, have a snack, ride a standby ride nearby, diaper change or potty break, etc. We stay together and tour as a family, if I took the too small child on a ride, I’d just have to ride it again with the big kids later anyways, which we don’t mind but I’m not going to start double planning FP’s. That would drive me batty.

My wife and I have 9 yo triplets. We've managed to do everything everyone wanted to do over the last 5 years without trying to finagle the FP+ and RS scenarios. People spend too much time thinking about how try to game various systems rather than just trying to have a great vacation. Then Disney eventually cracks down and makes things more strict and people complain about that.

So, here's what I don't understand. If everyone in both parties has to have a FP+ to swap, then what does child swap actually get you? You could have just staggered your FPs and sent party 1 at a different time than party 2.

So, here's what I don't understand. If everyone in both parties has to have a FP+ to swap, then what does child swap actually get you? You could have just staggered your FPs and sent party 1 at a different time than party 2.

I don't think the original intent was for the child swap to gain the party anything. It was to make things easier, pre-FP days.

I don't think the original intent was for the child swap to gain the party anything. It was to make things easier, pre-FP days.

Ok, perhaps I worded my comment wrong. Why would you bother doing rider swap if all riding members are required to have FPs? There's no point in bringing the kids over, presenting to a CM, etc if everyone has a FP anyway.

Ok, perhaps I worded my comment wrong. Why would you bother doing rider swap if all riding members are required to have FPs? There's no point in bringing the kids over, presenting to a CM, etc if everyone has a FP anyway.

You are right, there really isn't a reason for it. I can easily see it going away. It had a use, back before FP and FP+ came into being.

I’m hoping to get a FP for FoP for our upcoming trip and if I do, I’ll get RS for it, particularly if we end up running toward the end of our FP time. That ride can take awhile to get through, and I don’t want to chance missing it.

Also, if I had an older child who was tall enough to ride, I’d get RS so that kid could ride with each parent.

I’m hoping to get a FP for FoP for our upcoming trip and if I do, I’ll get RS for it, particularly if we end up running toward the end of our FP time. That ride can take awhile to get through, and I don’t want to chance missing it.

Also, if I had an older child who was tall enough to ride, I’d get RS so that kid could ride with each parent.

But, aren't they saying on the new system that the older child wouldn't get to ride twice?

Perhaps it's better to wait and see how the new system is actually implemented, rather than speculating now.

But, aren't they saying on the new system that the older child wouldn't get to ride twice?

Perhaps it's better to wait and see how the new system is actually implemented, rather than speculating now.

The articles I've read discussing the change ha rent said anything about an older child not being able to ride twice. They indicate that up to three people can get the swap loaded to their bands.

I have not seen that in anything I’ve read. Do you have a source?

No, I must have misread.

I guess we'll see how it all flushes out. I'm hoping that all members of a party won't have to have FP under the new system, so that my kids can do Navi with Hubby with I do FoP and then swap for him. We'll see.

No, I must have misread.

I guess we'll see how it all flushes out. I'm hoping that all members of a party won't have to have FP under the new system, so that my kids can do Navi with Hubby with I do FoP and then swap for him. We'll see.

I posted this on the other rider swap changes thread, but Google maxpass and rider swap at Disney Land. When maxpass was introduced, rider swap went digital and had the same changes as what's being proposed with Disney World. Then look up fastpass being required for all riders with rider swap. It appears it's still not at DL. It could be different here, but with how closely the changes match what happened at DL, I think there's a good chance they won't require FP for everyone.

I posted this on the other rider swap changes thread, but Google maxpass and rider swap at Disney Land. When maxpass was introduced, rider swap went digital and had the same changes as what's being proposed with Disney World. Then look up fastpass being required for all riders with rider swap. It appears it's still not at DL. It could be different here, but with how closely the changes match what happened at DL, I think there's a good chance they won't require FP for everyone.

I've been looking at the Maxpass rules as well and drawing similar conclusions, so I hope you're right. I'm not looking to game the system to get a whole bunch of extra rides. I'd just like my kids to be able to ride their preferred tier 1 ride (Navi) and the adults to do the same (FoP). Because they're young, this requires one adult hit both...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts