Rides closing for weather? Resort pools?

ClapYourHands

DIS Veteran
We were at Legoland last week, and most of the park shut down for about 90 minutes due to distant lightning. No thunder, lightning, or rain at the park, but we couldn't go on basically any outdoor ride until the weather system passed a certain number of miles away.

I have never been to Disney during the summer when, I understand, storms frequently pass through in the afternoons. When that happens, what is Disney's policy on keeping rides open? I know some like Test Track are notorious for closing for weather, but what about other rides? At Legoland, we couldn't even ride the carousel until we had the all clear.

What about pools at the resorts? When we were at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, we had a storm pass through, but as there were no lifeguards, it was individual choice to keep swimming or get out of the water. At the Legoland waterpark, we all had to exit the water for distant thunder. Not that I'm planning to swim during an electrical storm, but I don't want my afternoon pool break interrupted because there's reported lightning 15 miles away.

Last edited:
You may want to search. I know there was a recent thread on this subject. But generally, at WDW, when there is a threat of lightening, the outdoor rides close. If its just light rain, many of them stay open (TT is an exception that seems to close with any rain).

Here is some information I could find on the internet. I would suspect the distance takes into account whether the storm is moving towards WDW or away from the parks.

Cast Members keep a constant eye on the weather radar at Walt Disney World. Unfortunately when lightning strikes within 10 miles of the parks all outdoor rides, including water rides close for the safety of the guests.

Just a handful of rides are completely closed for rain or lightning, including: Magic Kingdom: Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Magic Carpets of Aladdin, Dumbo the Flying Elephant, Tomorrowland Indy Speedway, Liberty Belle Riverboat, Astro Orbiter and Swiss Family Treehouse.

Disney also has a pretty sophisticated weather tracking service and it is all connected through a central command, so they follow some pretty strict rules in regards to storms/lightning. It also impacts boat transportation, rides, pools, water parks, water recreation and boat rentals, etc. I am guessing the Skyliners will also be impacted when they open. There are various levels of closures depending on the type of weather, but generally the pools they won't even let you on the pool deck and will make you exit the fenced area of the pool (including the pool bars). Most indoor attractions can still operate.

What about pools at the resorts? When we were at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, we had a storm pass through, but as there were no lifeguards, it was individual choice to keep swimming or get out of the water. At the Legoland waterpark, we all had to exit the water for distant thunder. Not that I'm planning to swim during an electrical storm, but I don't want my afternoon pool break interrupted because there's reported lightening 15 miles away.

Last I heard from a CM, it was 5 miles.

If lightning strikes are within 5 miles, they will completely shut down the pools areas. Plus, in the water parks, they pull everyone out of the water and off attractions. That's because lightning can strike well within the radius, even if there is no apparent weather conditions where you are standing. In July and August, that can mean a daily temporary closures. One August trip, we got in a single afternoon (of 5) at Storm-along Bay.

Not sure what the range is at the theme parks, but there is a radius where they will close off all the outdoor attractions as well.

Last edited:
We were at Legoland last week, and most of the park shut down for about 90 minutes due to distant lightning. No thunder, lightning, or rain at the park, but we couldn't go on basically any outdoor ride until the weather system passed a certain number of miles away.

I have never been to Disney during the summer when, I understand, storms frequently pass through in the afternoons. When that happens, what is Disney's policy on keeping rides open? I know some like Test Track are notorious for closing for weather, but what about other rides? At Legoland, we couldn't even ride the carousel until we had the all clear.

What about pools at the resorts? When we were at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, we had a storm pass through, but as there were no lifeguards, it was individual choice to keep swimming or get out of the water. At the Legoland waterpark, we all had to exit the water for distant thunder. Not that I'm planning to swim during an electrical storm, but I don't want my afternoon pool break interrupted because there's reported lightning 15 miles away.
from the small park I work at it is not the park but government rules that close just about everything if thunder is heard. at a guarded pool most likely if thunder heard you will have to get out

....can we turn the pool into wave pool with white caps? 8-)

As others said - expect rides and pools to close, but normally it's a short closure. Half hour or less sometimes!

It's best to get out of a pool if you hear thunder. If you can hear it, lightning can hit you. Only idiots stay in the pool when there's thunder.

We are going to legoland this weekend. And typhoon lagoon for h2o glow sat night. This forecast is making me nuts. Although we do live in South Florida and know about these afternoon storms it's still frustrating to deal with. Bringing all our rain gear just in case! Welve been to Disney and it's rained several times on us even during Halloween party and fireworks still continued. Last time we were waiting for our fp to start at SDD and it poured just right there looked like dark cloud just over toy story land. It passed and we were let on like 30 min later. We've been at blizzard beach and they made everyone get out and take cover for a storm to pass we gave up waiting and went to epcot where there are mostly indoor rides! Sonetimes you just get your ponchos out and it stops raining.

The pools with lifeguards close at Disney. I have been at a quiet pool several times when the lifeguards come out, give an announcement, but then say they can't make us leave the pool area.

They have to close the pools and rides for lightning, even if it seems far away. The I-4 corridor is one of the most active places on Earth for lightning strikes. If you can hear thunder then you're likely within striking distance of the storm. It may be inconvenient to your vacation, but it's to keep their guests safe.

It's best to get out of a pool if you hear thunder. If you can hear it, lightning can hit you. Only idiots stay in the pool when there's thunder.

Just to clarify, I have no intention of being in the water when I can see lightning or hear thunder. When I was at the resort and heard thunder, we were definitely NOT in the pool. Some people stayed in, but that seemed foolish.

I was surprised by the long shutdown at Legoland when I couldn't hear thunder, and was wondering how cautious Disney is. I'm hoping for a middle ground between "shut down everything for over an hour when lightning is miles away" and "swim in a thunderstorm." The two extremes kind of threw me for a loop.

Last August, we had to clear the pool several times on our resort/rest day. There was not a drop of water the whole time, but apparently, there was lightening a few miles away.

A few years back, we were in line for BTMRR and they closed it down for about an hour due to lightening.

We've been stuck in many rain storms in WDW, but it usually passes fairly quickly and the crowd thins out a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter