Rides for Toddlers/Younger

DreamFlightCpt.

Mouseketeer
Hello,

I did some research before posting this to make sure I wasn't rehashing an old topic, but I couldn't really find the answers I was looking for. DW and I are taking DS down to WDW this year with my parents, sister and her (will be then new) husband for a family trip. It will be DS's first time on property and we couldn't be more excited. Everyone else is a Disney vet, so we like to think we have a pretty good handle on things. However, we can't really come to a consensus as to what rides we should/can take him on. We know there are certain height restrictitions for some of the more "thrilling" rides that he wont be able to go on, however I'm not so sure about some others. For a better frame of reference, DS will be 17mos by the time we go down.

My wife specifically mentioned about wanting to take him on Dumbo, and I'm sure grandma will want to take him on the carousel. Other than that we don't have anything specific in mind. I figure the slower dark rides should be fine, nothing scary of course, but am a little unsure of how to approach a ride with some sort of basic restraint system like Dumbo or even Peter Pan.

We took our son last year at 18 months and did lots of rides with him (including PP and Dumbo...Dumbo was his favorite ride!).

However, I’m not totally sure what information you need. What’s your question about the rides? I (and others) will be willing to help if we know what you need!

We took our son last year at 18 months and did lots of rides with him (including PP and Dumbo...Dumbo was his favorite ride!).

However, I’m not totally sure what information you need. What’s your question about the rides? I (and others) will be willing to help if we know what you need!

Basically any thing a child that size/age can or cannot ride due to restrictions, i.e. are there some where it is safe/allowed for him to sit on my lap and some suggestions for younger riders

Basically any thing a child that size/age can or cannot ride due to restrictions, i.e. are there some where it is safe/allowed for him to sit on my lap and some suggestions for younger riders

As someone else said at that age he can go on anything without a height requirement!

If you have 2 adults riding with him on Dumbo (and the other spinner rides), he will have to sit on your lap as there won’t be room for him to sit next to you. The only other ride where my son sat on my lap was the safari because that one is a little rough. He sat between DH and I on all other rides (or next to one of us if the other wasn’t riding).

He can join you on any ride without a height requirement.

Just hold on to him. Dumbo is not spinning that fast that he will be flying out of there. You will be able to do a more rides and attractions then you might think. Have fun.

We took a 9 month old and just held him on our lap on everything. It was fine! The only ride he did not go on was the Barnstormer (which my 3 year old loved and which has a height restriction).

The only rides I remember that my toddler could NOT sit on my lap were Barnstormer (35" height), Indy Speedway (32" height), and Jungle Cruise (no height). For those three, he had to sit next to me. For all others, we chose whether he sat on my lap or beside me. I was actually surprised by Jungle Cruise, but they wouldn't take off until I got him off my lap. For some rides, you really should have a good hold of your toddler like TSMM, Buzz, and the Safari. If he ever does sit next to you, make sure he's on the inside for things like Dumbo, Carpets, Triceratops, and Pooh (the CMs will remind you of this). For the boat rides like iasw, Pirates, FEA, etc, either hold him or put him in between two people so he's not by the edge of the boat. I always kept an arm around DS too, just in case there was a quick movement, same with rides like HM and Nemo. I think we were also told that DS couldn't ride on any of the horses on the outside row of the Carousel, but there are two inner rows so it's not a problem. Other than that, just obvious stuff like make sure he doesn't stand up during the ride, try to climb out, or reach into the water on the boat rides.

Hello,

I did some research before posting this to make sure I wasn't rehashing an old topic, but I couldn't really find the answers I was looking for. DW and I are taking DS down to WDW this year with my parents, sister and her (will be then new) husband for a family trip. It will be DS's first time on property and we couldn't be more excited. Everyone else is a Disney vet, so we like to think we have a pretty good handle on things. However, we can't really come to a consensus as to what rides we should/can take him on. We know there are certain height restrictitions for some of the more "thrilling" rides that he wont be able to go on, however I'm not so sure about some others. For a better frame of reference, DS will be 17mos by the time we go down.

My wife specifically mentioned about wanting to take him on Dumbo, and I'm sure grandma will want to take him on the carousel. Other than that we don't have anything specific in mind. I figure the slower dark rides should be fine, nothing scary of course, but am a little unsure of how to approach a ride with some sort of basic restraint system like Dumbo or even Peter Pan.
with an adult he can ride any ride that does not have height restriction. we have had grandson yours age on Haunted Mansion, Pirates and others which he loved but 5 year old hated

Awesome, thanks everyone for the info. Good tip on making sure he's sitting on the inside in some of the spinning turns.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter