Rides for Walking Stick Users

Claddagh

Smile! It might never happen!
Hi,

We (my DH and I) will be travelling to Floriday in November with our parents. It will be their first experience of Florida and we are really keen to make everything go as smoothly and easily as possible. My DM and DF both use walking sticks and, as some of the rides (not many I know) have moving walkways, can you tell me if these are stopped for people with disabilities or should I just avoid them so that it's not a big issue for my parents?

Many thanks for your help.

I believe you can ask them to stop certain rides, I know they do it for wheelchair transfers....Im assuming you can do it for other reasons also

Here's a link to a past disABILITIES Board thread that will help you. It's all about boarding rides (including the moving walkway rides) for people who need a little extra time boarding. There are some links in that thread to the official Disney site that may not work anymore (just a warning). The disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board has links that will work to the official Disney site's disabilities page. There you will find some basic information about rides, including which ones have moving walkways.

Most of the moving walkway rides can have the walkway slowed down or stopped, but this has to be done by boarding at the handicapped boarding area - not just telling the CM while you are boarding in the regular entrance. They should see the walking sticks (canes) and route you to the accessible boarding area. You should point out the walking sticks to the CMs when you enter the line and ask about avoiding the moving walkways on rides that have them.

There are at least 3 rides where the moving walkway can't be stopped: Peter Pan, Pirates (at the exit area; ask to use the elevator), the Tomorrowland Transit Authority (the one for boarding and unlopading can, but there is a steep ramped moving walkway to get up an down from the station, which is elevated).

Another thing to think about is all the walking involved in a WDW trip. Even though they normally walk with walking sticks, they probably don't walk in a week the distance they will walk in one day at WDW.
You can find information about wheelchairs and ecvs in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of the board. You might want to consider one. One way to use it would be to have them share the use of one ecv/wheelchair. While one rides, the other walks; then they trade off.

Everytime we've asked CM's to stop walkways, they ask why, understandibly. This might make your mother and father feel uncomfortable and say, 'nevermind.' But moving walkways are hard to balance on, especially when combined with getting on a ride. On our last trip to Disneyland a CM at the Haunted Mansion was explaining what a pain it was and how it delayed things, did we really need it, etc. So we had to be assertive. Make sure to mention that you need the ride stopped when you get off, too. That's even trickier. My sister got hurt on our Disneyland trip because the CM convinced my Dad to try to carry her off without stopping the ride. Grrrr. I was next and we made sure they stopped it. Usually, CM's are very accommodating :) . You just have to be assertive and know your stuff to ensure you have a magical day.

Good luck,
Christamae

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter