Rides that are ok with fractured back...please help

Had a lumbar fracture 4 month ago and also had / have to wear a back brace - not visiting any parks or rides since than, but still have issues (pains) with simply sitting on a train or at a desk. The first 6 weeks after my accident I only was allowed to lay in bed, walking or standing max. a few minutes but no sitting at all. So I have to agree, cancel the trip. It would be no pleasure for your daughter and at least her back.

Talk to your doctor about the wisdom of going on a trip at all while she is in a back brace. None of us here know the scope of your daughter's injury. It SOUNDS bad - hence the overwhelming suggestion you cancel.

IF - IF - the doc seems to think that the activity will be fine (minus rides, I'm guessing) - I think that you can enjoy the party without rides. Between the shows, parades, characters, hunting down the special treats - there's a fair amount to do. The meet and greets can take a long time - and it would be a good excuse to focus just on that. Maybe have the other kids and one parent go at 4 pm - and hit some rides - but one parent and DD wait until closer to 7 pm to arrive.

I do think you could probably get a refund/credit for the party given the scenario.

Had a lumbar fracture 4 month ago and also had / have to wear a back brace - not visiting any parks or rides since than, but still have issues (pains) with simply sitting on a train or at a desk. The first 6 weeks after my accident I only was allowed to lay in bed, walking or standing max. a few minutes but no sitting at all. So I have to agree, cancel the trip. It would be no pleasure for your daughter and at least her back.
Wow, sorry to hear.
My daughter’s doctor did say he wants her up and moving. ( he is a sports doctor) he just said no conditioning and stretching, running, lifting weight. She climbs stairs at school and carries a heavy backpack and he said she can still continue to walk up and down th stairs ( surprised me) and carry backpack. She also has to sit through all her classes in those hard chairs :( Though she does not feel allot of pain. She told the doctor a 2!
Hope your back feels better

Last edited:
I am so sorry for her (and you all!) but am glad that it sounds like she will heal nicely. I agree that what she can and can't ride is a conversation for your doctor. Your post also said you have gone annually for a while, so you are likely familiar with what's available at the park. I know it's tricky with other children because you don't want any of them (or your daughter) to feel like they are missing out. Maybe a good question to ask is what can she do at Walt Disney World if cancelling is not an option. It depends on your child/children's personality and disposition, but I do believe it is possible to have a fun trip and not ride rides. We have even taken trips where we did not enter the parks at all or only hopped for one day.

Some ideas:
At the holidays, visiting the resorts can be a treat in itself. See the decorations and enjoy the various snacks/food/drinks at the resorts.
Go to Fort Wilderness, maybe take a carriage ride (although maybe too jerky) and check out the campsite holiday decorations.
Speaking of Fort Wilderness, take in the movie and s'mores w/ Chip and Dale
Play mini-golf
At MK:
Sorcerers game (and other parks have different themed games or scavenger hunts)
Tom Sawyers Island
Swiss Family Treehouse
Various shows throughout the day - Muppet, Pirate's, Stage shows, iRobot thing (can't remember name)

Honestly, if you Google for things like "free things to do at Disney World" and "Disney world not in parks" or something like that. And, I just Googled "Walt Disney World with a back injury" and quite a few articles and forum posts came up.

Slow down and do those things that you would normally not even notice because you are too busy rushing to the next ride. It may turn out to be quite an enjoyable trip!

So this is a trip with one park day, during the party, only?

I might ease up on the “cancel it” thought because of that, but....

I was thinking about getting her a wheel chair so she would not be walking as much and could sit and rest.

If she’s an active kid, that is going to make her hurt and be sore. Going from active to sitting is weirdly exhausting.

And people are utter jerks about wheelchairs and scooters. The wheeled devices might as well be invisible. People dash out in front, stop on a dime, etc. they have NO idea how hard it can be to stop those conveyances quickly.

As the wheelchair pusher, you and the rest of the family will have to be alert of people about to cross in front. And frankly at some point she’ll be jostled hard by you needing to stop the wheelchair fast or even by hitting someone who stopped to read a map.

We went to Disneyland and to Universal Orlando with my son in a should to wrist cast. Thatwas rotten enough, and Disney didn’t have any restrictions. But for a vertebra? Nope. I think I’d cancel, knowing what I know about people around wheelchairs and injured people.

Ohhhh how frustrating! My mom broke some lumbar vertebrae [4-5-6 or something?] and I recall it was one of the worst PT I have ever seen someone go through. If you were flying there might also be risks for embolisms :(

I couldn't imagine trying to have fun in WDW and having that personal expectation of the Christmas Party (since it's not your first time), with that kind of pain and frustration that would come of fighting crowds in a wheelchair when you're in a back brace.

Hmmmmm... definitely talk to her doctor and her about it... it could be salvageable but I'm wondering if there is something low-key and "out of the box" that you could do instead, esp. if you could refund the party tickets and have a different experience.

Wow, sorry to hear.
My daughter’s doctor did say he wants her up and moving. ( he is a sports doctor) he just said no conditioning and stretching, running, lifting weight. She climbs stairs at school and carries a heavy backpack and he said she can still continue to walk up and down th stairs ( surprised me) and carry backpack. She also has to sit through all her classes in those hard chairs :( Though she does not feel allot of pain. She told the doctor a 2!
This doesn't sound like a "cancel the trip" kind of situation to me. If she's still going to school (where there are crowds and jostling because...kids), sitting in a hard desk chair all day, carrying a heavy backpack up and down stairs, etc, and the doctor wants her up and active, then it sounds like she can handle walking around MK during the Christmas party and probably even riding some gentle rides. Sure, they can stop/start abruptly, but so can cars and buses on occasion, and I'm assuming she is cleared to ride in/on those.

"Jingle" Cruise, Carousel of Progress, Laugh Floor, Country Bears, Tiki Room, Philharmagic, Small World, Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, all seem to me like rides someone who can carry a heavy backpack up stairs should be able to do okay with. Pirates might be a little risky with the little drop/plunge, so I'd avoid that. And obviously none of the Mountains or Mine Train, or anything that spins and twirls. I'd ask the doctor what he thinks just to be sure, but I can't see why, given what your daughter can do at school, she couldn't ride the gentle dark rides.

Honestly, there's so much more to do at the Christmas Party, especially since you've never been to one (I haven't either, going in a few weeks!), that you guys might find you don't even want to take time for rides. Meet the characters, watch the shows, parade, and fireworks, shop, eat cookies, and just enjoy the atmosphere. Like you say, it'll be a nice pick-me-up for her.

I know it's horrible to consider, but I'm with the people who say WAIT. Postpone the trip. I understand she needs a pick-me-up, but tell her that this trip is waiting for her AFTER the doctor gives her the "okay". I'd be very unhappy if I were in your shoes, but her long-term health is so much more important than any vacation.

This doesn't sound like a "cancel the trip" kind of situation to me. If she's still going to school (where there are crowds and jostling because...kids), sitting in a hard desk chair all day, carrying a heavy backpack up and down stairs, etc, and the doctor wants her up and active, then it sounds like she can handle walking around MK during the Christmas party and probably even riding some gentle rides. Sure, they can stop/start abruptly, but so can cars and buses on occasion, and I'm assuming she is cleared to ride in/on those.

"Jingle" Cruise, Carousel of Progress, Laugh Floor, Country Bears, Tiki Room, Philharmagic, Small World, Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, all seem to me like rides someone who can carry a heavy backpack up stairs should be able to do okay with. Pirates might be a little risky with the little drop/plunge, so I'd avoid that. And obviously none of the Mountains or Mine Train, or anything that spins and twirls. I'd ask the doctor what he thinks just to be sure, but I can't see why, given what your daughter can do at school, she couldn't ride the gentle dark rides.

Honestly, there's so much more to do at the Christmas Party, especially since you've never been to one (I haven't either, going in a few weeks!), that you guys might find you don't even want to take time for rides. Meet the characters, watch the shows, parade, and fireworks, shop, eat cookies, and just enjoy the atmosphere. Like you say, it'll be a nice pick-me-up for her.
This is what I was thinking. I’m going to talk with her doctor and see what he says.

I will make the choice based on the the doctor and if the doctor thinks it’s fine then I will talk with her :)

Wow, sorry to hear.

Thanks, I'm fine with my new situation. Here one like to say "bad weeds grow tall"... ;-)

But wow, really? Can hardly imagine this. Was at a sports doctor too, so I just could escape the hospital, but in the case of my injury any movement, sitting (in case of a fractured lumbar the worst thing of position) or carry anythings heavier than 4lbs was an absoulte no go for at least 8weeks, and even now I should not carry beverage crates or heavy backpacks for myself for at least 6months. So perhaps the injury of your daughter isn't as bad. For me until now sitting for more than 4hours is not funny, therefore I now often stands at my desk at work.

Last edited:
Talk to your doctor about the wisdom of going on a trip at all while she is in a back brace. None of us here know the scope of your daughter's injury. It SOUNDS bad - hence the overwhelming suggestion you cancel.

This^^^^

You need to have the discussion with the Doctor. People hear "broken back" and throw out multiple suggestions without knowing anything about the placement or type of fracture or severity. They can be terrible and they can be not that big of a deal only your doctor knows and if he is any good he will work out a plan of action with you. It is what we get paid for.

Once you know their opinion then you can make a informed decision on go no go or a trip with rides, or just some rides, or just shows and things like sorcerers of the magic kingdom.

Update : doctor is fine with her going. No big rides or ones that would jolt her around. shows are fine.
So we plan to watch shows and take it easy there. Talked to daughter and she still wants to go.
( she said some Disney is better then no Disney and she wants to help surprise the others ) Thanks everyone for the tips.

Update : doctor is fine with her going. No big rides or ones that would jolt her around. shows are fine.
So we plan to watch shows and take it easy there. Talked to daughter and she still wants to go.
( she said some Disney is better then no Disney and she wants to help surprise the others ) Thanks everyone for the tips.

Sounds like you have a great daughter! So sweet she wants to be in on surprising her siblings! Have a wonderful vacation! :goodvibes

Last edited:
Ok, thanks everyone.

Having had a kid with spinal surgery, and waiting for it for four years .......... NOTHING is worth the risk.

Since you have party tickets make this a TOTAL PARTY MODE night.
What I would do:
- Dress for party, feels festive and CMs love it.
- We did one in Santa tshirt with Santa Mickey hat and the rest in Elf tshirts with Elf hats (complete with pointed ears)
- If cold expected, long sleeve tshirt under
- Light up necklaces (saw some good ones at Dollar Tree)
- CMs fussed all over us.
- Great spot for parade and fireworks while enjoy a party treat.
- Make sure to enjoy the cookie stations.
- See how many special characters you can meet, family photos, memories.
- Hit all the special photopass spots
- We rarely explore stores on ride day, this is a perfect time
- Dance parties
- Castle Shows
- Country Bear Christmas Show

A great way to do things you normally pass over on ride intensive days.

ALSO on our party day we went to Grand Floridian Cafe for later lunch, explored the GF Gingerbread House and took pictures by big tree, monorail over to other resorts to see their decorations all before we entered the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter