Rides to Avoid with Motion Sickness?

For me, anything that spins or goes in a circle (teacups, Dumbo, Mission Space) is always a no.

Everest - I am absolutely fine with the coasters and drops, such as ToT. What made me horribly sick on Everest is the backward motion. Won't ever do that again. I had to sit perfectly still for 30 minutes before I felt somewhat better the first and only time I rode it.

Space Mountain - This one surprises me because I have no roller coaster issues. Not sure why this bothers me, but both the WDW and Disneyland Space Mountains make me motion sick.

As for Star Tours and Soarin, I have no issues with these. Every once in a while, I'll get a twinge of motion sickness on Star Tours. If it happens, I just close my eyes. But, I can usually ride it twice in a row without issues.

Motion sickness bands always help me. They're basically a terry cloth band with a pressure point on the inside that you wear around your wrist. They have kid sizes, too. They're an effective alternative to Dramamine and Bonine, both of which make me drowsy.

Out of all things, the train to Rafiki's Planet Watch in AK made me so motion sick. I think it was a combination of going sideways, not being able to see out the windows because I was in the top row, and the fact that is was so hot and humid that day that there was no air circulation in the train car. I felt so awful. Even as we were exiting the park, one of the CMs told DH he'd better get me back to the hotel to rest, as I looked horrible! We rode it last time we no issues, but I did make sure to sit in the front row so I could see out and I was fine.

I had no problems on the train to Conservation Station/Rafiki's so YMMV. I get motion sick very easily. (The bus ride from Epcot to Animal Kingdom Lodge was bad, for example.)

The thing with motion sickness is that it's such a YMMV thing. For example, I find that I can usually ride Star Tours a single time and be fine - except if I get Hoth followed by the asteroid belt. Disneyland's Space Mountain can be a bad ride for me, but I think that's a combination of both the motion and some sensory overstimulation (not keen on the flash of the camera at the end after having been in so much darkness.)

I don't have a practice of regularly taking Dramamine during my Disney trips because even the "less drowsy" stuff tires me. Since my upcoming trip to WDW is following a nearly eight year absence, I want to be sure I get to try things I've never experienced before, like FOP and 7DMT. I will be preemptively doing the Dramamine thing this time.

I get motion sick very easily. (The bus ride from Epcot to Animal Kingdom Lodge was bad, for example.)

Oh, this worries me. I'm terribly prone to motion sickness. Subways are the worst, followed quickly by buses and then cars. We'll be staying at AKL, so I hope I can handle the bus rides. Starting out the day sick would not be good!

Star Tours made me feel so sick I almost threw up. No motion simulators for me. I feel a bit bad about never being able to ride FOP, but knowing how sick I'd likely get, I doubt I would enjoy it anyway. I also avoid teacups and rides like Astro-Orbiter. (Dumbo is fine...I think it is how tight the spin is that is the issue.)

Did they take non-drowsy Dramamine off the market? I could have sworn I used it some years ago on a cruise (through hurricane Irene!) and it worked like a miracle. But now when I search for it, no place, even the Internet, sells it anymore except for the LESS-drowsy version. I tried less-drowsy, but I was fuzzy-headed and tired an hour in. I was sure it was Dramamine brand, but I can't even find any references to them taking a non-drowsy version off the market. It's driving me nuts! I really want whatever I took on that cruise.

I don't know if it's the same thing you are referring to, but I saw a "Non-Drowsy Dramamine Naturals" product online through Walgreen's and some other sellers. As much as I would like a non-drowsy version, it sounds like this product is pretty much ginger, something that hasn't worked for me in the past.

Another vote against Star Tours - and it pains me to say it because I am a Star Wars nut and I love the ride!! But DW has Meniere's disease, and this particular motion simulator simulates motion a little too well, according to her. I WILL ride it again, but she will be waiting by the exit. :rolleyes1
I also say definitely avoid Primeval Whirl, but not because of motion issues. Just because it sucks. They need to take it out, seriously.

I could not do Teacups, and when it was running, Body Wars in the Wonder of Life pavilion made me deathly ill - the only way I made it through Body Wars was by staring at the floor of the simulator til the ride was over. However, Soarin has never made me even the slightest bit queasy, and I have ridden it at least a dozen times. Just something to add to your considerations.

This trip (which I am still on), we got stuck in the first room of Buzz Lightyear. I had to close my eyes. The spinning effect of the lights nearly made me ralph.

Flight of Passage was another ride that got to me. Overall, it was far more intense than I was expecting, and I was relieved when it ended. Another minute or two and I may have tossed my cookies.

Oh, this worries me. I'm terribly prone to motion sickness. Subways are the worst, followed quickly by buses and then cars. We'll be staying at AKL, so I hope I can handle the bus rides. Starting out the day sick would not be good!

Star Tours made me feel so sick I almost threw up. No motion simulators for me. I feel a bit bad about never being able to ride FOP, but knowing how sick I'd likely get, I doubt I would enjoy it anyway. I also avoid teacups and rides like Astro-Orbiter. (Dumbo is fine...I think it is how tight the spin is that is the issue.)

Did they take non-drowsy Dramamine off the market? I could have sworn I used it some years ago on a cruise (through hurricane Irene!) and it worked like a miracle. But now when I search for it, no place, even the Internet, sells it anymore except for the LESS-drowsy version. I tried less-drowsy, but I was fuzzy-headed and tired an hour in. I was sure it was Dramamine brand, but I can't even find any references to them taking a non-drowsy version off the market. It's driving me nuts! I really want whatever I took on that cruise.

Tip for the bus rides - make sure you can see out of the bus looking forward. So - don't sit in the seats that go sideways right behind the driver. Because there is basically a wall between those seats and the driver - you can't see forward much even if you turn your head. I prefer the sideways seats on the side opposite the driver - and close to the rear exit. Also try to avoid the back half if it's an extended length bus. I also try to avoid the VERY back row of the bus. Even though those seats face forward - there's alot of bus vibration there and it makes me feel weird. And if you are standing - just move around enough you have a good view out - at least slightly in the direction of forward motion and out the sides.

And if you ride DME from the airport - try to be picky about your seat - the way those buses are set up - about every other row has more of a blocked view out. I also have trouble with the ones that have so much painting on the windows you can't see out the sides. In those cases - I try to get the front seat opposite the driver. Those are often marked reserved for "folks with needs" - and honestly - if I can't see out of a bus - I'm a person with needs unless the rest of the bus would like to smell vomit for half the trip!

I don't know if it's the same thing you are referring to, but I saw a "Non-Drowsy Dramamine Naturals" product online through Walgreen's and some other sellers. As much as I would like a non-drowsy version, it sounds like this product is pretty much ginger, something that hasn't worked for me in the past.

Yeah, it definitely wasn't a "natural" product. Eating peppermints can help me a little bit, but it's just not powerful enough to really take away the nausea. Maybe I should find one of those 800 numbers on the back of the product and call them to ask about what happened to the non-drowsy version.

Tip for the bus rides - make sure you can see out of the bus looking forward. So - don't sit in the seats that go sideways right behind the driver. Because there is basically a wall between those seats and the driver - you can't see forward much even if you turn your head. I prefer the sideways seats on the side opposite the driver - and close to the rear exit. Also try to avoid the back half if it's an extended length bus. I also try to avoid the VERY back row of the bus. Even though those seats face forward - there's alot of bus vibration there and it makes me feel weird. And if you are standing - just move around enough you have a good view out - at least slightly in the direction of forward motion and out the sides.

And if you ride DME from the airport - try to be picky about your seat - the way those buses are set up - about every other row has more of a blocked view out. I also have trouble with the ones that have so much painting on the windows you can't see out the sides. In those cases - I try to get the front seat opposite the driver. Those are often marked reserved for "folks with needs" - and honestly - if I can't see out of a bus - I'm a person with needs unless the rest of the bus would like to smell vomit for half the trip!

Thanks for the tips. I've noticed that facing forward makes a big difference. I always try to avoid sitting in the back seats of cars when I can and try to get the passenger seat instead. Buses are harder though since that one seat next to the entry door is really the only one with a view to the front. I'm still hoping I can find a way to manage somehow so we don't have to spend the money on a rental car. Mostly, it's the stop and go motion that gets me. The ideal rote would have no stop signs, intersections or other bus stops! :crazy2:

I can't believe I didn't remember this until now... I suppose the change to Star Tours 2.0 eliminated the "test flights" (no motion) that you might be able to ask for in the past.

Motion sickness completely varies form person to person, and even personally from day to day.

While a general list of rides to think about is helpful. If you eliminate every ride that gets suggested, you probably will end up avoiding many unnecessarily.

Normally, Astro Orbiter doesn't phase me one bit. But I on my last visit, I tried to take a picture with my phone as the ride was about to start. In the sun, I couldn't see the screen, so I held it down by my waist in the shade a moment too long as the ride was starting.

When I looked up, Yikes!

I suggest structuring your ride order purposefully. It is no big loss to skip the teacups or to choose the Green side of Mission:Space, but you can also order your day to best advantage.

If you are concerned that something might be a problem, do it at your best time of day. Again, that's going to be kind of individualistic. It might help to spread out iffy rides, or to do a particular ride last/late/before eating/after eating/last-before-your afternoon break.

Last edited:
If I'm slightly sick or dehydrated:
Any ride
This!!!

OP, I know you said you were thinking to avoid a rental car, but we consider it well worth the $.

A big reason we almost always get a car is to buy plenty of water! (Plus a few other snacks.)

Second, a car adds time to our vacation. Right off the bat, we save at least an hour over ME. If getting a rental car also means not getting sick every morning, then it would be even more worthwhile IMO.

Hi there,

I am hoping to hear from you about rides I should avoid for my little guy (7) who gets a bit of motion sickness from time to time. He LOVES rides and did not get sick on Space Mountain, 7DMT, Splash Mountain so I think drops are okay. I think spinning might be hard on him. We have only been to MK and this trip we are there for a week and hitting each park, so your feedback on rides to avoid across all WDW parks would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much :)

I am not prone to motion sickness at all (boats, roller coasters, bungee cords, ride motion, all no problem at all). The only two rides I've ever wanted to throw up on at Disney. TeaCups and MS Orange. Both are heavy on the spinning. In fact Mission Space is a centrifuge spinner. So even though you don't feel like your "spinning" and you can't see anything spinning, your inner ear knows you are spinning.

Have you looked at the ingredients in Bonine? Not sure if that is what you are looking for.

When I stayed at Jambo, the buses stopped at Kidani first and were almost full. We took a cab to Epcot. If I were doing it today, I would take Uber or Lyft to Epcot or Hollywood Studios, and Minnie Van to Magic Kingdom (because it can let you off at Magic Kingdom, not Transportation and Ticket Center. I'm less concerned about the end of the day.

Doc told me to take the meclizine (bonine, dramamine) prior to bed. This way you get a good nights sleep and no drowsiness in the daytime. Works like a charm. Plan on taking the night prior to our AK day for FOP.

I just googled the Less Drowsy and that is still 25 mg of Meclizine.

You can get a script for 12.5 mg generic meclizine which might do the trick. That is what my ENT gave me to keep on hand. Or maybe cut the 25 mg OTC tablets in half if they are able to be cut

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!