Rides while wearing a sling?

mindy lou

Mouseketeer
We leave for Disney in 29 days (but who's counting?)!:yay: Today DS (10) suffered a proximal humerus fracture and was put in a sling. We were told most people need the sling for 2-4 weeks. DS has always taken significantly longer than average to recover from injuries, so I suspect he will still be sporting the sling at Disney. Are there any rides he might have trouble with? I want to prepare him. Of course I will talk to the ortho about it when we go. I am not sure how up on WDW rides they will be, so any advice to help point us in the right direction would be helpful.

Thanks!

I don't have any specific advice, other than this:

- More than anything, don't focus on what he CAN'T do - put emphasis on what he CAN do at WDW!

- Having said that, set expectations now - early - with your DS that he might not be able to do every single ride. Rides that require two hands to hang on tight are not going to be in his future. There have been folks here before who have done WDW with one hand (either due to permanent or temporary issues) but only the Ortho can say for sure what type of things will be OK, and what to avoid.

For what it's worth, my Ortho is a HUGE Food & Wine fan, and every time I see him, he wants to talk about WDW LOL. My OB/GYN is a big Disney nerd too - she spent most of my last appointment debating the merits and finer points of Poly vs. Wilderness Lodge with me! (There are far more awkward conversations one could have in that situation, so I was glad to chat about Disney! LOL) Lots of doctors are either frequent visitors to WDW, or are very familiar with the types of rides, etc. that their patients may encounter, so I strongly urge you to have a frank discussion with the Ortho.

- Ask his Ortho if he can get in the pool (with or without the sling). Pool time might help offset the sting of not being able to do everything he wants to at WDW. Plus, it might feel really good on his shoulder (if your DS won't go nuts and potentially re-injure himself)

Last but certainly not least:

- There are TONS of things to do at WDW that aren't just rides. Aside from shows, shopping and attractions, you can go on Hidden Mickey hunts (he could be in charge of finding Hidden Mickeys for you to photograph for a family album) or you can go down to Disney Springs and (especially in the evenings) watch some of the street performers. Look for pressed penny machines (they are at Resorts, Parks, and Disney Springs) Catch YeeHaw Bob's show at Port Orleans Riverside (tip: take the boat from Disney Springs - it's a great little cruise!) Go visit the geyser at Wilderness Lodge (outside, you might have to wait for it to go!) and inside the lobby is a spring that feeds a creek, with a little bridge you can stand on to see right down into the bubbling water! Ride the Monorail - both the Epcot loop and the Resort loop. See if you can ride every boat transportation route at WDW - including the big ferry boat that runs between Ticket & Transportation and the Magic Kingdom docks!

All of those things are FREE to do - you don't need a theme park ticket for any of them. And you don't to have the use of both hands!

Other, additional cost suggestions: Fireworks Dessert parties (our family favorite is the Pirates N Pals Dessert Party Cruise that has yummy treats, a special pirate meet 'n greet, and a cruise on the Seven Seas Lagoon where you watch the Electrical Water Parade and the fireworks over the castle!) Hoop Dee Do Revue at Fort Wilderness is a great meal, and a great show all in one, and another family favorite for us. There are several kinds of tours you can take - some more suited for smaller kiddos than others.

Thanks for the tips! We leave in 7 days and unfortunately we still have no idea what is wrong with his shoulder and he is in significant pain still:sad2: He will definitely be in a sling. We have also rented him a wheelchair since he is still recovering from a high ankle sprain:crutches:. We know it won't be the Disney trip we had originally planned, but we will still be at Disney!!! We are going to slow down and enjoy some different things

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter