Riding the Skyliner just for the experience?

lvdis

love disney
We will be in Orlando next week, but won't be going to any of the Disney parks. :(

We have a free evening on Thursday and I'm wondering if it would be possible to ride the Skyliner just for fun. I would also like to see the Cars stuff at Art of Animation, so I'm wondering if we could visit AOA to look around and then ride the Skyliner to HS or Epcot and back. Would they let us park to do something like that? We were able to park and look around at AOA a few years ago without any problem but that was before the Skyliner. The kids weren't with us that time and I'd like them to see all the cool statues (or whatever you'd call them) at AOA.

Thanks!

We will be in Orlando next week, but won't be going to any of the Disney parks. :(

We have a free evening on Thursday and I'm wondering if it would be possible to ride the Skyliner just for fun. I would also like to see the Cars stuff at Art of Animation, so I'm wondering if we could visit AOA to look around and then ride the Skyliner to HS or Epcot and back. Would they let us park to do something like that? We were able to park and look around at AOA a few years ago without any problem but that was before the Skyliner. The kids weren't with us that time and I'd like them to see all the cool statues (or whatever you'd call them) at AOA.

Thanks!
reports are that they are restricting parking at the Skyliner resorts to resort guests only.

reports are that they are restricting parking at the Skyliner resorts to resort guests only.
That's what I was afraid of. I wonder what our best option would be? Maybe take a bus from Disney Springs to the resort?

Does anyone have any recent experience with trying to visit AOA and not having a reservation there?

Disney wants you to park at DHS for Skyliner joyriding. Of course, you'll have to pay if you don't have an AP or staying on-site.

If you have the time, you can park at DS and bus to AoA, Pop, CBR Jamaica station, BC or BW. Bus service to the resorts may be limited before 11am.

Disney wants you to park at DHS for Skyliner joyriding. Of course, you'll have to pay if you don't have an AP or staying on-site.

If you have the time, you can park at DS and bus to AoA, Pop, CBR Jamaica station, BC or BW. Bus service to the resorts may be limited before 11am.
It won't be until at least after 5PM, probably more like 7PM.

Are guests really not allowed to drive to and visit the resorts that have Skyliner access now?

I suggest, drive to the resort and tell the parking entrance guard you would like to "visit the resort and try the snack bar."

Most likely the guard will say that you may park there for 3 hours. If it is not a busy time of year he may just say okay. Now, if it is a really busy time of year he may say no.

My sister visited Art of Animation and told the individual at the gate that she was dining at Landscape of Flavors and visiting the Ink and Paint gift shop. She was let in on the Cars Building side without even a 2nd look. She then took her two kids on the Skyliner for just a taste, got back in the car, and rode away. Could depend on who you get at the gate, I guess.

If the Skyliner resort parking guards are like the Boardwalk parking guards, your chances of being allowed to park when you tell them you just want to look around the resort are very good.

When Epcot fireworks end, it’s very interesting to see how many people who “just wanted to look around the Boardwalk” are suddenly finished looking.

Since you are trying to park during the busiest time of the year, I would say you can try, but don't be upset if you are told no. It's possible, that during this time of the year, they can and will restrict parking to hotel guests and tell you to park at the Ticket and Transportation Center.

To avoid disappointment and not be restricted timewise, perhaps parking at Disney Springs and busing to the resorts would be your best option. Transportation to and from Disney Springs runs til 2_am.

My sister visited Art of Animation and told the individual at the gate that she was dining at Landscape of Flavors and visiting the Ink and Paint gift shop. She was let in on the Cars Building side without even a 2nd look. She then took her two kids on the Skyliner for just a taste, got back in the car, and rode away. Could depend on who you get at the gate, I guess.
wonder how long that will last once off site people figure out they can park at the Skyliner resorts to avoid paying fees to park at the parks.

wonder how long that will last once off site people figure out they can park at the Skyliner resorts to avoid paying fees to park at the parks.
I guess unless you can specify a person you are visiting at the resort, maybe they issue 1 hour parking passes or similar. This would allow you the time for the exploration you claim you are there to do.
Thinking in terms of AoA, one hour would be pushing it with a full roundtrip Skyliner ride, walking back and forth, and any lines or Skyliner delays. One hour would definitely deter those trying to avoid Epcot parking fees.

The question becomes: how do the resorts enforce a one hour parking pass at the Skyliner resorts? And what is the penalty? Twice the cost of parking at the Parks? Towing?

You could always make a dinner reservation at one of the Epcot resorts, and ride the gondolas afterward.

The question becomes: how do the resorts enforce a one hour parking pass at the Skyliner resorts?
Probably the same way the Boardwalk enforces a parking limit during Food & Wine or for the new Epcot fireworks or other Epcot draw - very ineffectively. Take that from someone who’s had to circle the parking lot looking for a space when actually staying at BWV. It’s amazing how the lot empties out after Epcot closes.

Park at DS, take a bus to Pop or AoA and go from there. We went to/from DS/Pop MULTIPLE times last week early in the morning, in the afternoon, at night, etc. Busses were quick and efficient.

We were there Thanksgiving week and parked at DS, looked around there a bit and took the bus to Pop so we could catch the Skyliner. It was great.

I was staying at POP, rented a car from the CCC, and the guard insisted on looking up my reservation to drive in and pick up my family. Then again when we returned and I needed to drop them off.

Thanks for all the replies! I have a couple more questions. How late does the Skyliner run and how late do the buses run between DS and resorts? I guess I need to look into where the buses pick up at DS too, since it was before the whole DS remodel that I took a bus from there. :)

I personally would just spring for the Parking Fee at DHS and ride the Skyliner over to AoA and back.

Stress and Guilt free method. :)

Disney only intends DS Parking to be for DS visiting.

I personally would just spring for the Parking Fee at DHS and ride the Skyliner over to AoA and back.

Stress and Guilt free method. :)

Disney only intends DS Parking to be for DS visiting.
We are going to DS to eat and visit the Christmas Tree Trail. It will probably be almost 9 at night before we visit AOA. Definitely not trying to cheat the system and get a free ride into the parks or anything. We have no time for the Disney parks this trip sadly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!