Ring bought in Nassua not as listed

bffttsiu

What, me worry
I bought my girlfriend (now fiance) an engagement ring while in Nassau at The Jewellery Mart based on the store being suggested by the Disney shopper onboard the Wonder and the store being on the list of preferred shops. My girlfriend and I got engaged while onboard the ship. After getting home and having the ring appraised the carat weight is less than what I it was listed as (and what is listed on the receipt).

I am in the process of writing a letter to disney, along with a copy of the receipt and appraisal to see if there is anything that can be done about the situation. I still have to look thought the trip insurance policy we bought from Disney to see if there is anything in there that would cover this.

Has anybody else had this happen or something similar?

How much difference in the weight? I bought a ring in St. Martin (not a diamond but was a gemstone) and while still on the cruise the stone fell out of the ring because the prongs on the ring were damaged. Luckily I found it in our stateroom. I also used a recommended shop. I contacted the onboard shopper while on board who said she could take it back on the next cruise but I chose to contact the jewerly shop on my own after returning home. The had me ship the item to NY and within a few days I had my ring back. I understand that most of the Island stores purchase their Jewelry from NY any way so hopefully the store will have a place in the states for you to fix the situation. Good Luck!!! Let me know what happens.

I recently posted a thread that my father bought two tanzanites in Cozumel that he paid $450 and when we got home he had them appraised. They were complete fakes. He did not get tham at a DCL approved shop, so I think we are out of luck.

If you bought them with your credit card the first thing you need to do is dispute the charges!

The above are the best reasons I'll NEVER buy anything expensive on one of the islands.

Anne

On the two cruises my husband & I have taken (with RC). We also purchased two rings and a nice Gucci watch, all three were a little pricey. When we returned home we had them appraised and they all came in as more expensive then what we paid for them.....thank goodness.

All 3 were purchased at the same store on Nassau...can't remember the name but they have 2 stores on the main street. One is right at the beginning on the right hand side and then the other one is a ways down on the left hand side.

Sorry about you misfortune :eek:

We had a problem a few years ago with Diamonds International out of St. Thomas. While we finally got things right, they never did pick up the shipping charges they promised to. Definitely dispute the charges on a CC and never buy anything like this not on a CC. One thing I know is it is common to round off the carat weight. A .88 carat becomes a 1 carat and the like.

If you bought them with your credit card the first thing you need to do is dispute the charges!
This is the best advice so far. Having been a credit card merchant, I will tell you that the rules are slanted entirely against the merchant in favor of the consumer. Call your credit card issuer and stop the charge immediately. Then not only will the merchant have to prove their case, but regardless of the outcome, the merchant will get slapped with a chargeback fee as well as a fee for investigating.

If you paid cash, more likely than not, you're probably out of luck.

The above are the best reasons I'll NEVER buy anything expensive on one of the islands.
That is also excellent advice - I'm with you 100%.

slyhubby - thank you for that information. That certainly is an eye opener!

Rae

A .88 carat becomes a 1 carat and the like
If the purchasers received a GIA or other certificatation stating the weight, it is not rounded. If you buy a diamond and do not receive or demand GIA or other certification, then again, you're playing roulette and what incentive does the merchant have for being honest to you? As if after getting it appraised at home, you're going to come back and return it? The merchants know this and is specifically why they all have shops in the ports of call. The overwhelming majority of people are just going to write it off to learning a lesson the hard way and not go further.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter