Rio Hotel or Vegas Strip Hotel?

Happy vacationer

Mouseketeer
We are going to Vegas this fall. My husband and I have only been to Vegas 1 time before. The people we are traveling with have never been there. We stayed at the Imperial Palace last time but really liked the Rio when we went there last trip and have always planned on staying at the Rio when we went back. Do you think we are jipping our friends out of a great experience by not staying on the strip or do you think since it's so close to the strip we will not be jipping them of anything. We do plan on going to downtown and the strip but just thought it would be nice to stay at the Rio. Any thoughts? TIA.

I love the Rio - have stayed there quite a few times, but I have to admit I do prefer to be on the strip, but the Rio does have a shuttle that goes back & forth so as long as you don't mind going back & forth it should be fine. Myself personally we spent so much time going back and forth, I prefer to visit the rio and stay on the strip- but I do love the Rio, rooms are great (all suites, huge! and Buffet can't be beat- I think it's the best in Vegas)- See Penn & Teller while your there if you can, they are Great! I wouldn't worry too much about Jipping them of the experience, you will be spending quite a bit of time on the strip anyway and from the Rio there is some great views of the strip, as you know it's right next to the strip (but I wouldn't try walking, couple of big hwys). ENJOY!! Love VEGAS- feel free to ask any questions you would like.

Just got back from there on Monday. Stayed at the Venetian this time and loved it !! If it is the first time somone has been, I would stay on the strip. We have been lots of times and had been staying downtown, but decided to try something different this past time.

My brother was there at the same time for his first trip and they stayed at New York/New York. They seemed to really like it also.

Personally, if I was going with first timers, I would look at NY/NY, Luxor, Monte Carlo (which I dont like a lot, but good location), Harrahs and if they feel like stretching a little then the Paris.

I would avoid Rio if you were going with first timers. We have looked at Rio a few times ourselves, but have never stayed there. We do go to it every year though. It is a great place and very cool inside !!

Good luck !!

As a Vegas Regular, I say stay on the strip. then visit the rio.
if they have kids maybe staying at the excalibur.

Rudy

This is an adults only trip. Thanks for the input. I'm torn because we have talked about staying there for so long that I'm afraid I'll feel I'm letting my husband down if we stay somewhere else. Our friends say they are just happy to go and don't care where we stay - but they've never been there so they don't know what they are saying really.

No matter where we go/stay I'm sure it will be a great trip. DH and I will be celebrating 20 year anniversary.

You'll be fine at the Rio...the Gold coast next door also has free shuttle and The Palm is right across the street. With the shuttles, the Rio is actually closer to Center Strip than some of the north and south strip hotels are. Just as close to the Bellagio as the Venetian or Treasure Island, and a lot closer than Mandalay Bay, Luxor, MGM etc.

I say go for the Rio, it really is a great hotel and their pool is fantastic (if your going in summer) No need to take the shuttle from Gold Coast, Rio has one to all of Harrah's properties- take it to Caesar's or Harrahs and walk everywhere from there (center strip). Go for it. Happy Anniversary.

I've never been to the Rio, always stayed on the strip. I'll be heading back to Vegas later this month and staying at the Venetian, can't wait! I would not have a problem staying off strip though, I always rent a car for the times we go. Enjoy!

Thanks everyone for your input. We've talked it over and we will be staying at the Rio. When we stayed at the Imperial Palace last time we did catch the shuttle from Harrah's to the Rio and it was pretty simple. Since we have thought about staying there for so long it makes sense to stay there. Our last trip was 4 years ago. Our friends said they would be happy with whatever we decide so Rio it is! Thanks again!

If you are planing to do as much as possible on the strip then stay on the strip.
The Rio is further away from the strip than it looks.
We took a cab to the Rio for dinner at the World Carnival buffet. It was good.
La Village at Paris is the best buffet!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter