RIP President Bush

I watched quite a bit of it on tv today, and thought how eerie it must be for his son to know that it will be his turn someday to have a similar pomp and circumstance funeral, since both are former presidents. It would be like being at your own funeral, in a way, wouldn't it?

And the photo that's going around facebook of his service dog laying next to the casket make me tear up.....

RIP.

Terri

I watched quite a bit of it on tv today, and thought how eerie it must be for his son to know that it will be his turn someday to have a similar pomp and circumstance funeral, since both are former presidents. It would be like being at your own funeral, in a way, wouldn't it?

And the photo that's going around facebook of his service dog laying next to the casket make me tear up.....

RIP.

Terri
That photo of Sully, his service dog was very touching. Sully kept him company after Barbara passed away.

RIP.

Terri

Not really. It is the custom of the US to have this service for all deceased former presidents. So you could say that Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, Barack Obama would all be sitting there reflecting on their own mortality based on this one service.

I never go to a funeral and feel I am at my own funeral, even though I am aware that one day I will die and more than likely, have the same type of service, with many of the same people paying their respects.

I think GW Bush is grieving the loss of his dad and that's it. I don't think it is occurring to him that he is looking into the future at his own funeral. :confused3

I live 3.5 hours from DC, I really wish I was not working tonight and tomorrow night, because I would definitely take a drive up there to pay my respects. He was a great man, regardless of what you thought of his politics.

The cartoon picture of him reuniting with his wife and daughter really got to me. My mom lost 3 infants in the 60's before I was born. She talked about them my whole life. When she passed away at the age of 61 in 1995, the only thing that got me through her funeral was the imagine of her holding her babies in her arms again.

What a beautiful funeral service!

I'm glad to hear it. I couldn't watch...my step grandfather was one of his instructors in flight school in Pensacola-I remember the worn green log with his name and a couple of other famous Naval Aviators in it. Of the three, Ray would say Mr Bush was "average, not like the other two." It gave me a laugh to think he was "just okay" at something.

I was at A&M when they renamed one of the main roads and moved the pig farm (where I had classes) to woo the Presidential Library. At the time I was annoyed but now I'm proud to have one of the only Presidential Libraries at my beloved alma mater.

All this is to say, I couldn't watch the funeral but glad to hear it was beautiful-he deserved it.

Godspeed Mr. President. I've been crying all morning watching the funeral.

That was a beautiful service. George W. Bush breaking up at the end was hard to watch. So was watching the clip of Bob Dole at the Rotunda yesterday.

A bit of trivia - remember the two little twin page boys at Megan and Harry's wedding? Brian Mulroney, the former Canadian prime minister who gave one of the eulogies is their grandfather.

M.

I felt so silly crying in my living room, nice to hear it wasn't just me. It was clear that he was very loved.
I didn’t see it but heard it on the radio. I teared up too. I think it’s natural for anyone who ever loved a parent (or really anyone). It also made me sad to think about where we were then & how things are now. It seems like both under George HW & George W that was a time when we could just disagree politically but now things are so hateful. It was nice to hear what a good person & gentleman he seemed to be. Anyone who’s family loves him that much must be. It’s sad that isn’t a quality that we always expect or demand in a leader.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter