Rise of the Resistance...ride discussion (spoilers)

This may be a difficult question to answer as you all are such big Star Wars fans. I know very little about Star Wars - probably only one of the few on the planet. LOL. If I don't know much, will I enjoy this ride or will it make any sense to me?

If you are a fan of immersive story telling and/or the latest ride tech, yes, I think you’d like it. Tons of people love Flight of Passage and either don’t like Avatar or haven’t seen it. While there are tons of details you will miss since you don’t know anything about SW, and backgroud info will contextualize the ride, the plot itself is self-contained. Everything is explained in the preshow.

Do you at least know what the Force is? That is the one element that may lead to confusion during the ride if you have no idea what it is.

Rode for the second time yesterday.

The “flow” of yesterday’s experience was so much different (better) than our first ride back in Jan. The timing of everything had to be pretty close to what they consider perfect. It showed me that our first experience was more choppy (but I didn’t know it).

CMs were also much more on point/engaging.

I got off the ride with a better understanding of how both the flow and CMs have a decent impact on one’s experience. I didn’t have that “wow” feeling after ride number 1, but did yesterday. Might have just been first ride jitters the first time and I was too busy processing everything. This time felt like I could properly absorb everything in a way that enhanced the attraction.

I questioned the re-rideability of this after ride 1, but I left yesterday absolutely wanting to do it again. Strange the different feelings.

Anyway, random thoughts.

Finally got to experience RotR last week - so I finally get to read through this thread! ;)

We got BG 30 and the first two times we went to ride it was down and they told us to come back later - third time was the charm and as far as I can tell we got a "clean" ride through and nothing was obvious that it wasn't working/in "B" mode

Overall an amazing experience - and I see it more like that than a "ride" (almost like a bit of multimedia performance art) ... I do get how people could prefer something that is more of a thrill ride and do wonder if this will have the repeatability of a coaster - but for what it is I thought it was incredible

I'll post a few other thoughts in separate posts so people don't have to read through a giant post :D

As far as the storyline and why is is now safe to go back to Batuu - I thought they wanted o remove us due to the pending increased First Order presence, but then during the experience the First Order fully shows up and then Poe goes and gets the Resistance fleet that comes and takes care of the First Order presence - so now it is ok to be on Batuu/no point in leaving now as first order knows what is going on and at least for know they were dealt with.

Basically the situation changes during the experience

One thing that did take me out of the immersion a little bit was the interrogators asking how many in your party and explaining how you would be aligned and asking if setups were ok for groups being split, etc. For the purpose of the attraction I get it, but if this was real I don't think they would care if families were split up or care about the prisoners opinion

One technical question on "how does this work" - in the first shuttle you are in you go in a door and then go out that same door into the hangar ... Do we know if that element of the attraction rises up like an elevator and that is why what you come out is different than when you can in from or does is spin around? Not really important, just curious how the "pull that off"

One thing that did take me out of the immersion a little bit was the interrogators asking how many in your party and explaining how you would be aligned and asking if setups were ok for groups being split, etc. For the purpose of the attraction I get it, but if this was real I don't think they would care if families were split up or care about the prisoners opinion

One technical question on "how does this work" - in the first shuttle you are in you go in a door and then go out that same door into the hangar ... Do we know if that element of the attraction rises up like an elevator and that is why what you come out is different than when you can in from or does is spin around? Not really important, just curious how the "pull that off"
Probably the coolest effect, the transporter. I have no clue, i was wondering more like a turnstile?

Last edited:
Probably the coolest effect, the transporter. I have no clue, i was wondering more like a turnstile?

If I had to guess, that is what I think too ... That it slowly rotates while you are "flying" so that door now opened into the show building

I feel like that moment was one that got a lot of "wait, didn't we come in that door? How is this working?" moments from the group of people we were with

Last edited by a moderator:

I read somewhere that it was a turntable, but I can't remember where I read it.

If I had to guess, that is what I think too ... That it slowly rotates while you are "flying" so that door now opened into the show building

I feel like that moment was one that got a lot of "wait, didn't we come in that door? How is this working?" moments from the group of people we were with

haha, I love it because everyone automatically gravitates toward the other door. While I just stand close to the door that actually exits. I end up becoming the first one out lol

I wish I could read those SWGE CM name tags better (and have a better memory). We had an awesome First Order CM who lined us up on the colors who was totally in character and legit could have been in a movie. He was an older gentlemen who had an accent I couldn't place (I couldn't tell if it was a natural accent or he was playing up having an accent) and he had just the right amount of intimidation factor to his persona. I really wish I knew his name so I could write a cast compliment. I've ridden 3 times now and he stands out by far as someone who really made the whole "experience" come together during that part of the process.

I wish I could read those SWGE CM name tags better (and have a better memory). We had an awesome First Order CM who lined us up on the colors who was totally in character and legit could have been in a movie. He was an older gentlemen who had an accent I couldn't place (I couldn't tell if it was a natural accent or he was playing up having an accent) and he had just the right amount of intimidation factor to his persona. I really wish I knew his name so I could write a cast compliment. I've ridden 3 times now and he stands out by far as someone who really made the whole "experience" come together during that part of the process.

If you know the time and send a compliment, maybe Disney can figure out who it was. They must have records of who worked where and when.

Could it possibly been TJ? Former ToT CM? he's amazing in his new role

Could it possibly been TJ? Former ToT CM? he's amazing in his new role

OMG, yes - it was him. I have seen references to TJ in the past but had never seen a picture (and we don't usually do ToT), so can't say I was intimately familiar with him/his popularity. Just googled and showed DW the pics to confirm and she was like "Yep, definitely him."

And then I remembered @Robo had posted a thread about him awhile back - https://www.disboards.com/threads/f...ite-cm-now-at-rise-of-the-resistance.3791306/

Wow, we lucked out with a great treat having him last Friday!

I got to ride it on Tuesday. I clicked to get a BG right at 8:00 and got BG 49. I rode Star Tours with a short wait and then RnR coaster and ToT with FastPasses. Then hopped to EPCOT (via the Skyliner) for a while. When my BG was close I hopped back over to DHS. The first time I got off the transporter and the ride stopped. Marched through the star destroyer and got a FP for later. The second attempt worked fine.

I really like how you go outside to get on the transporter, and then you finish outside back on Batuu. I expected everything to be indoors, so this was a nice touch to make it more realistic.

I'll be back in FL for work in April and plan to do it again.

Great line by ROTR First Order guard in the interrogation waiting area:

Mom & daughter were wearing glittery mouse ears. He stops and looks them in the eye: "When you're trying to hide from someone, wearing the shiniest thing you can find may not be the best strategy."

I love the way these cm's get into their role!

Its a turntable. There are 3 of them inside the circle. So one loads, one is in show, and the other is making its way back.
After reading this somewhere else, I paid attention and noticed today that I could feel it rotating counterclockwise when it takes off and as it docks on the First Order ship. I never would have noticed if I hadn't been looking for it, though.

We rode twice last week. Friday and Saturday. Worked beautifully both days. Friday was our first time ever so I took several pics and videos. Also knew I missed a lot bc there’s so much going on. Saturday put the phone away and just took it all in and noticed so many more details. Put the phones away and just immerse yourself. You’ll be happy that you did

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!